HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
GA 400 park more detailed design unveiled... looks like it won't completely cover up 400 now. Renderings also include Related Group's and Regent Partners projects; two tallest proposals of this cycle

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...r-georgia.html
THIS MUST HAPPEN - Fantastic!!! I think by not fully capping over 400 will massively cut cost, but still meet the intended purpose. Also, it will connect to Path 400. Buckhead is in dire need of park/outdoor space.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:13 PM

Those renderings are amazing. Could be Buckhead's new green heart.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:19 PM

Any explanation for why they wouldn't cover the whole thing? The noise and air pollution from 400 will certainly be a drawback now, not to mention less green space and visually less appealing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:37 PM

I agree. It looks nice, but I would have hoped for full cap of the highway. I can only imagine to what it would be like to sit in the cloud of exhausts rising from cars parked on 400 during rush hour.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 2:46 PM

Regarding pollution, isn't there already a good example of how to mitigate this with the expressway running under the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:03 PM
Born and raised

400 Capping?

If you’e going to cap 400. Don’t bs around about it. Cap the whole thing! All those cars driving on 400 emitting fumes and creating noise pollution completely ruins the idyllic image I have of being in a park. The Buckhead CID shouldn’t do this if it can’t be fully capped. Not to mention I don’t see an area for entertainment and venues. This proposal looks like a forested walking trail. They need to stop promoting this as a park over 400. And say what it really is. Which is an extension of the Path 400 over the connector and through the Buckhead CBD.

Last edited by A-town; Sep 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:43 PM

I agree. Everything looks all nice and shiny but based on the changed concept, I am afraid the final product will be underwhelming compared to the rendering. They likely went away from capping it to avoid being classified a tunnel, which has more stringent requirements than a bridge. This is the same reason the 5th runway at hartsfield has two separate bridges over I-285 for the runway and taxiway as opposed to one continuous surface. Buckhead has a chance to do something really special here and I hope it doesn't settle for this design just to lower costs. I want to see sections of the connector capped as well in midtown and downtown.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 4:46 PM

Agreed it would be best if all capped. However, IMO, the sooner the better and if half-capping is expedient then do not now -worry about the rest later when it becomes obvious that covering the rest would make it a real park.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:20 PM

Today a group was disassembling the bill board at 6th and Peachtree. The Eviva site?[/QUOTE]

Something is going to happen...if it was going to stay a parking lot, that billboard would not be coming down. Exciting!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 6:17 PM

Half-Capped 400

Not capping all of SR400 is a horrible idea. The noise and air pollution from the roadway will make the park unusable without major mitigation efforts. That area is already an air pollution hotspot and spending time in that park would be literally bad for your health.

See the ARC website below.

http://atlregional.github.io/dispersion/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Agreed it would be best if all capped. However, IMO, the sooner the better and if half-capping is expedient then do not now -worry about the rest later when it becomes obvious that covering the rest would make it a real park.
Don't understand the complaining-- Its as beautiful and sophisticated of a park design as I've ever seen in this town--

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Don't understand the complaining-- Its as beautiful and sophisticated of a park design as I've ever seen in this town--
Pardon me from not reading the article, but when will it start and complete? Hopefully not 2025.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown_DD View Post
Not capping all of SR400 is a horrible idea. The noise and air pollution from the roadway will make the park unusable without major mitigation efforts. That area is already an air pollution hotspot and spending time in that park would be literally bad for your health.

that's some good info. i assume its just modeled on vehicular traffic data and not from sensors.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 10:38 AM

Will the park have barriers that prevent people from
falling and throwing objects on the freeway? I can see some idiot holding up traffic one day.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Pardon me from not reading the article, but when will it start and complete? Hopefully not 2025.
Unknown as the project grinds through public approval and funding processes--

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
that's some good info. i assume its just modeled on vehicular traffic data and not from sensors.
Yep. Modeled but calibrated to local monitors.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/arees

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown_DD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
Seriously, this is a great start! And as far as the air pollution, that would mean none of the development around NCR, Tech Square, Plaza Midtown, etc. should be built. Hence, the air pollution there is worse than the Ga. 400 park area.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:37 PM

I've gotta say, I agree with the folks not thrilled with anything but a full cap over 400.

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas or the Boston Greenway are the models. Continuous connectivity between parcels that currently front 400 to the new park.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:35 PM

A partial cap is better than nothing at all and we will probably get nothing if opposition to the design is strong. Reminds one of the stupid objections to the TSPLOST because it didn't have enough public transit money (even though it had a lot) = controversy killed it and we got nothing. Take what is now possible and we may ultimately see a total cover in the long run.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations