HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Sorry to say, it isn't. People at MWAA suspect that Bush's DOT is hostile to transit projects (they rejected funding of Metro once) and is trying to push the rail corridor into the hands of private developers. MWAA originally pushed to take over the project because it looked like the State of Virginia was never going to get off the dime and build the piece from Tyson's out to Dulles. The Access Highway corridor in which the rail link will be located has always belonged to MWAA; therefore MWAA is best suited to develop the rail link.
Perhaps you could enlighten me on the specifics. I believe I heard this rail will cost between $4-6 billion to go ~25 miles. I am always skeptical of rails to airports in American cities. What's the point of having the airport connected to one part of the city, besides spending a lot of money to look "cool". I know D.C has a top notch transit system, but how well will this line connect to it? How much is the ridership? I'm not against rail, but building rail won't automatically equal quality transit.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 9:37 PM

That one line is connected to many other lines. Rail to airports are great for American cities. Even if you have to make one or two transfers to a different line.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 9:38 PM
FYHA

I just got off the phone with a representative at Crescent and the groundbreaking for 6 Houston Center is scheduled for 4PM this Thursday. They're already setting up a large covered party tent on the surface lot.

Some photos I took of One Park Place from inside Discovery Green around noon...

And a few around part of the park. Just crossing through.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 10:45 PM
FYHA

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...3/daily17.html
Tuesday, March 4, 2008 - 11:34 AM CST

Behringer Harvard set to break ground on Three Eldridge Place

Houston Business Journal - by Jennifer Dawson Reporter

Behringer Harvard has announced plans to build Three Eldridge Place -- an office building in West Houston that will seek LEED certification as a green building.

After initially keeping the project under wraps, the Dallas-based investment firm confirmed Tuesday that it will break ground in March on a 13-story, 303,000-square-foot building in the Energy Corridor submarket.

Three Eldridge Place will be adjacent to One and Two Eldridge Place, which were acquired by Behringer Harvard REIT I Inc. in December 2006. Those two buildings have a total of 519,000 square feet of space and are 99 percent leased. They are located at 757 N. Eldridge Parkway and 777 N. Eldridge Parkway, just south of Interstate 10 near Memorial Drive.

The new office building will be located on the corner of Eldridge Parkway and Memorial Drive. One unique building feature will allow tenants to drive up to their suites by having building access from the six-level parking garage.

Behringer Harvard's development team includes EEReed as general contractor; Gensler as architect; and Haynes Whaley, DBR Inc. and Walter P. Moore as engineering contractors.

The project is being funded through Behringer Harvard REIT I Inc., which owns 75 office properties with more than 25 million square feet across the country.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:58 AM
Meh

Great news about 6 Houston Center. Man, all this new construction is sweet. Can't wait to visit Houston again this summer and check it all out.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:14 AM
Ex Houstonian

Is someone going out to take photos of the groundbreaking, I would love to see em, and Im sure everyone else would too Also does anyone know any info on the tower going in at 1500 Smith Street downtown, and how tall that New LaQuinta Inn is going to be?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
What's the point of having the airport connected to one part of the city, besides spending a lot of money to look "cool".
The rail connection to Tyson's would connect the airport to the entire city, given the interchange point for the Orange Line (the part being extended from Tyson's) is in downtown DC. The corridor the rail line would sit in is one of the most heavily traveled in the region and has been subject to quite a bit of high-rise development over the past ten (what the heck, make it twenty) years. More than just airport patrons would have used the line.

I expect the decision will be revisited in 12 months.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
That one line is connected to many other lines. Rail to airports are great for American cities. Even if you have to make one or two transfers to a different line.
I didn't really make my point clear; I think rail to airports is great, but in an already established transit system. It seems some cities build out to the airport before the ridership is high enough to justify it. I just wasn't aware of how D.C.'s pending line will connect with the exist system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
The rail connection to Tyson's would connect the airport to the entire city, given the interchange point for the Orange Line (the part being extended from Tyson's) is in downtown DC. The corridor the rail line would sit in is one of the most heavily traveled in the region and has been subject to quite a bit of high-rise development over the past ten (what the heck, make it twenty) years. More than just airport patrons would have used the line.

I expect the decision will be revisited in 12 months.
I'm not sure what part of the D.C. metro area I stayed in, but it was right near a subway station. The transit there was great. I just haven't been following the discussion about the new line. You know what the ridership is estimated to be?

However, I'll be very unhappy if this line gets funded at the expense of the Houston line. The D.C area has been heavily funded by the FTA in the past, but now Houston needs to play catch up.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:31 PM

City Council voted today to spend $15.5 million to purchase five downtown blocks, a site being eyed for a Houston Dynamo soccer stadium. The council also voted to obtain a sixth block by swapping some city-owned land.

Mayor Bill White would not confirm that the land east of 59 would ultimately be used for a soccer stadium. He said if a deal with the team owners fails to materialize, then the city could seek private development offers. Negotiations with the team are ongoing.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5595007.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:53 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Is someone going out to take photos of the groundbreaking, I would love to see em, and Im sure everyone else would too Also does anyone know any info on the tower going in at 1500 Smith Street downtown, and how tall that New LaQuinta Inn is going to be?
Hrm... I wont be there at the time of the groundbreaking, I can drive by there after work and take some pics.

As far as 1500 Smith goes, I think the status of that is "Developmental". Whatever the hell THAT means.

I seem to recall that the LaQuinta there is going to be more of a midrise if that. Think of that little Holiday Inn south of the the GRB. Yeah...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 9:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

So the LaQuinta is just going to basically look like your average urban sprawl piece of crap, God I hope not, it would make sense to make it at least 20 stories, since they probably wouldnt charge that much a night, but oh well. Im sure it will look better then the crap they build along the highways. Oh and i seem to recall that 1500 Smith is supposed to be about 800,000 square feet to a million, so that means it should be at least 40-50 stories, maybe?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 9:20 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
So the LaQuinta is just going to basically look like your average urban sprawl piece of crap, God I hope not, it would make sense to make it at least 20 stories, since they probably wouldnt charge that much a night, but oh well. Im sure it will look better then the crap they build along the highways. Oh and i seem to recall that 1500 Smith is supposed to be about 800,000 square feet to a million, so that means it should be at least 40-50 stories, maybe?
I doubt it would be a midrise, considering a parking garage will be involved with the property on that one block. Add in 206 rooms as well. My guess is 10-20 stories at the moment.

See the original article: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...4/story10.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 10:19 PM

The LaQuinta will NOT be a suburban styled hotel. As was already stated, a parking garage will be built as part of the project. Additionally, LaQuinta won't be built on a full city block. They do not own the full block. The footprint isn't large enough to build a suburban style with surface parking.

Additionally, Brookfield has stated that 1500 Smith Street would be a tower that would rise anywhere from 35 to 42 floors which would put it in the 490 to 600 foot range. However, they also stated that they have plans to build on the "Gateway" parcel they own which would be the Westernmost parcel of land in the Allen Center area. Devon Energy has been rumored to be interested in this building and it is likely that the "Gateway" tower would be built first.

However, with Hines (Main Place), Crescent (6 Houston), and Trammell Crow (Discovery) breaking ground first, Brookfield might not go forward with either tower. While the downtown class A market is healthy, I am not sure it could handle 4 large towers under construction at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:05 AM

has there been any drawings for 1500 Smith and the other tower you are talking about for the north side of d/t here??

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:48 AM
Ex Houstonian

I dont believe there has been any previews of the building at 1500 Smith, Ive looked and cant find any, but I dont think they even have anything really planned other than just about how many square ft it will be.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:07 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
The LaQuinta will NOT be a suburban styled hotel. As was already stated, a parking garage will be built as part of the project. Additionally, LaQuinta won't be built on a full city block. They do not own the full block. The footprint isn't large enough to build a suburban style with surface parking.
I wasn't aware of that. I hope they come up with an interesting design.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:37 PM

I'm more interested in what's going on in the Galleria area. Many many many highrises planned there. The new 60+ story (66 stories I believe) Ritz could be the cities new tallest or one of. Several 50+ stories planned and many many many 30+ story offices and condos planned. Can somebody give a quick rundown?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:59 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
I'm more interested in what's going on in the Galleria area. Many many many highrises planned there. The new 60+ story (66 stories I believe) Ritz could be the cities new tallest or one of. Several 50+ stories planned and many many many 30+ story offices and condos planned. Can somebody give a quick rundown?
Here are a few I can think of immediately...

-Whiteco Residential has proposed two 35 story residential towers at Westheimer & Sage.

-FalknerUSA also has pitched a condo tower up to 40 stories tall along McCue, on the site of an apartment complex which has been recently demolished. Hopefully, they don't leave a steaming piece of crap as they've been known to elsewhere.

-Turnberry is planning on building a 34 story condo tower at the intersection of Hidalgo & McCue, across from the Waterwall.

-Four Oaks Place could add a 5th building of 18 floors

-Across the street, on the site of the Willie G's, there's been talk of an office building to be developed by Simmons Vedder which could be 320,000 SF.

-Titan, along Post Oak Boulevard will be 26 floors of condos above a multi-story parking garage and topped by a 75 foot spire.

-There's the parcel of land near Landry's HQ along the West Loop where a 20 story office building & 21 story hotel are planned.

-Finally there's the Deyaar piece of land at Post Oak & Richmond. Rumors have been crazy, with an 80 story office building & 50 story residential tower among the uses speculated.

Last edited by Wattleigh; Mar 6, 2008 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:36 PM
Endless Moments...

That is a lot of stuff by the galleria. There is a lot of stuff going on all over the place. 2008 is really going to be a start for some changes all over. Its very kewl to think about. Houston is doing well...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:41 PM

for some reason, i just dont have any faith in the Turnberry tower getting built.........like someone else has stated.........starting at $1 million seems a bit much on any standards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations