HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 8:27 PM
I'm Back!

Interior Willis (Sears) Tower Design: A Question?

When one looks at construction pictures of John Hancock Center or the World Trade Center Towers in New York, the actual CORE of the building can be seen. But in all the photos of the Sears Tower under construction that I have seen, I have never seen the actual "CORE" of the tower. Is this because it doesn't have the same type of "CORE" that say, the World Trade Center Towers had. You know the steel reinforced concrete shaft that extends from the base to the top of the roof? I know it has to have atleast a small shaft for the two Express Elevators that take visitors straight from the 2nd Level Basement to the 103rd Floor. So my question is does the tower have a traditional "CORE" like one would think about in a skyscraper, or does each tube have a small core? If anyone knows about this I would love to hear from you because I understand the "bundled-tube" design, but I still realize the tower has to have a core because of the local elevators, plumbing, vents, pressure, and other stuff.

If it does have the same traditional core that we have all grown to love, is this visible in this picture as the elevator bank on the Franklin Street Lobby?

Is the outer wall of the core basically (not exactly) the "Granite Wall" that has the flags hanging off of it? Or back in the elevator banks?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, perhaps it's not. But I have always wondered if Sears had a similar core to other supertalls and if it served the same function that those "newer" cores were serving in their respective skyscrapers. I have had a hard time finding any info on the internet.

Last edited by Lexy; Nov 18, 2009 at 9:19 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering