HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

How sour are those grapes?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
Don't be fooled by the bamboo scaffolding guys. That stuff is really strong. I've been shown a couple of bamboo sticks and it can be hard and durable as a steel rod that is equivalent in size to the bamboo.
I assume he was talking about the messy site rather than the bamboo scaffolding, but I don't know what's typical for a Western construction site either.

I just still... don't... like Pudong. There are now 3 great buildings but it is not a great district, and never will be. Looks pretty good from afar, but at street level (and not looking straight up)... bleh.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:28 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I assume he was talking about the messy site rather than the bamboo scaffolding, but I don't know what's typical for a Western construction site either.

I just still... don't... like Pudong. There are now 3 great buildings but it is not a great district, and never will be. Looks pretty good from afar, but at street level (and not looking straight up)... bleh.
I wish people would stop saying Pudong when they mean Lujiazui. Pudong is an enormous district (Shanghai's largest by far), which includes the Lujiazui area where this building is going up. Lujiazui isn't particularly pedestrian friendly, but it has improved significantly in the last year or so, and the street life, particularly in the area around the Super Brand Mall, the Oriental Pearl, and the Aquarium is actually quite good.

As to Logy Lion - If this building was going up in NY, you'd be crazy excited and you know it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:22 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

It's because it's so disconnected from Huangpu (specifically, People's Square - which I consider to be Shanghai's "downtown")
They made a haste decision to develop Lujiazui, but I guess in time it'll be a little better.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; Sep 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
Meh.

Not iconic. Not ground-breaking. Just a really tall kitsch dildo.

Kudos, China.
This tower is absolutely iconic and amazing. I live in NYC and could only dream of a tower of this height and aesthetic going up in the city.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:34 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Cranes should be raised soon.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:27 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Cranes should be raised soon.
At least one of them had already been raised this morning. I cross the river every morning at the Dongjiadu ferry and I could see that one of them was higher than it had been yesterday. Perhaps more of them will be up this afternoon when I go back across.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:36 AM

^You're right. I'm just looking out my window now, and they've indeed been raised.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 5:34 AM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 6:05 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I wish people would stop saying Pudong when they mean Lujiazui. Pudong is an enormous district (Shanghai's largest by far), which includes the Lujiazui area where this building is going up. Lujiazui isn't particularly pedestrian friendly, but it has improved significantly in the last year or so, and the street life, particularly in the area around the Super Brand Mall, the Oriental Pearl, and the Aquarium is actually quite good.
Chemist, basically the way Shanghai is represented in the US media, that part is almost always called Pudong. I didn't realize it was called Lujiazui until I visited Shanghai in 2006. Just food for thought...

BTW, Andrew, your view is just sick!

This tower is going to be really fascinating to watch as it goes up.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 5:46 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Chemist, basically the way Shanghai is represented in the US media, that part is almost always called Pudong. I didn't realize it was called Lujiazui until I visited Shanghai in 2006. Just food for thought...

BTW, Andrew, your view is just sick!

This tower is going to be really fascinating to watch as it goes up.
It's the same way that most people don't differentiate between Manhattan and the other Burroughs...it's ALL New York City

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 5:54 PM

Nice photo updates, giallo. SWFC looks great there with the sun gleaming on it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Meh.

Kudos, China.
You mad???

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Meh.

Kudos, China.
Jealous?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:00 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
It's the same way that most people don't differentiate between Manhattan and the other Burroughs...it's ALL New York City
I think people distinctly and bluntly differentiate the boroughs. Plus Brooklynites are a very proud bunch! The head of security for my building where I live is not from New York or the City, but rather the South Bronx (#rough). No city gets as neighborhoody, specific, and confined as New York, and many people around the world know more about New York's Boroughs and neighborhoods than perhaps their own city's

If it weren't for Skyscraperpage or my book on Shanghai architecture, I would never have heard of Pudong or Lujiazui or People's Square. No offense meant, but few if any cities are as widely known and specified and broken down as New York.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
And I guess my point is that while the general US/non-Chinese public won't know better, the people on this board should know better. Yet I continually see people in this very thread calling 'Pudong' pedestrian unfriendly, unwalkable, car-centric, etc, as though the whole >1000 square kilometre district (larger by itself than many cities), which encompasses everything from insanely urban to as close to rural as you can get in Shanghai Municpality, can be judged on the basis of one neighbourhood that makes up only about 1.5% of it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
And I guess my point is that while the general US/non-Chinese public won't know better, the people on this board should know better. Yet I continually see people in this very thread calling 'Pudong' pedestrian unfriendly, unwalkable, car-centric, etc, as though the whole >1000 square kilometre district (larger by itself than many cities), which encompasses everything from insanely urban to as close to rural as you can get in Shanghai Municpality, can be judged on the basis of one neighbourhood that makes up only about 1.5% of it.
It's the same as when people say New York, when 90% of the time, they mean Manhattan. Until you've been to the city and realized how small it is, you won't differentiate it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 2:02 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

any updates on this beauty?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 3:47 AM

^ I'm really tempted to head out to Lujiazui with the camera today. It's beautiful outside and only a 5 minute taxi ride away.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 5:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ If you need any moral support to take that taxi ride, I'll be glad to offer it up.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive