HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:50 PM

It looks like another business has shutdown at Lansdowne. In recent days I have walked past Teriyaki Experience and saw that it was closed. The first time I did not think much of it, but yesterday I looked through the window and saw that the drink fridge was empty, and the kitchen appeared to have been cleaned out.

Has anybody noticed if this restaurant has shut its door? If yes, then this will be the third business to fail at Lansdowne recently, after Lavazza and Tommy Gun's Barbershop.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
It looks like another business has shutdown at Lansdowne. In recent days I have walked past Teriyaki Experience and saw that it was closed. The first time I did not think much of it, but yesterday I looked through the window and saw that the drink fridge was empty, and the kitchen appeared to have been cleaned out.

Has anybody noticed if this restaurant has shut its door? If yes, then this will be the third business to fail at Lansdowne recently, after Lavazza and Tommy Gun's Barbershop.
My experience with Teriyaki Experience is that I've only seen it in half-empty Northern Ontario mall's food-courts. I didn't understand the placement.

Although, I could say the same about The Source. And don't get me started about the placement of Petsmart at the main gateway to the stadium. Rent on that unit must be absolutely astronomical. Weird mix that hopefully will sort itself out over time.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:08 PM

I've gotten the impression that although Lansdowne does well as an entertainment/sports hub, as a retail destination it's a bust.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:56 PM
Closed account

They had a Teriyaki Experience at the Hwy 400 OnRoute north of Toronto and it shutdown as well. I don't think it's exactly the most successful brand.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:41 PM

I had gone to Teriyaki Experience at Lansdowne when I was by myself and wanted something quick. This kind of restaurant is something that fits a food court in shopping mall rather than in Lansdowne situation. It does not surprise me that it failed.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:43 PM

True... Lansdowne is more of a destination where people make the effort to go have have a sit-down meal and enjoy themselves. Not really a place where you just "happen to be" or walk through and want a quick meal on your lunch break or something.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 1:47 AM

Looks like Lansdowne is still figuring out its niches and what goes where. In time we'll have something stable.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:56 AM

I haven't read anything in the past two pages that has surprised me. Teriyaki Experience is a terrible idea for Lansdowne, Lavazza has too much competition, a hair salon doesn't fit in this type of retail...I expect a few more businesses will bow out in the next couple of years. Hopefully there will be successful replacements in due time. I am under the impression that Lansdowne as a whole is quite successful but working out the kinks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I haven't read anything in the past two pages that has surprised me. Teriyaki Experience is a terrible idea for Lansdowne, Lavazza has too much competition, a hair salon doesn't fit in this type of retail...I expect a few more businesses will bow out in the next couple of years. Hopefully there will be successful replacements in due time. I am under the impression that Lansdowne as a whole is quite successful but working out the kinks.
I think the destination retailers are doing well. Wholefoods always seems busy and Sporting Life seems to have a steady line of people buying overpriced gear. Winners, the LCBO and and the Source seem quieter than other locations.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I think the destination retailers are doing well. Wholefoods always seems busy and Sporting Life seems to have a steady line of people buying overpriced gear. Winners, the LCBO and and the Source seem quieter than other locations.
Oh, I went into sportinglife and winners the other day.
1. Sportinglife was seriously overpriced, and I could easily go somewhere else ON BANK STREET and find lower priced identical merchandise. Nice store though, but very packed with stuff, and super super expensive, like, who is going to buy a $90 toque?

2. Winners was just terrible, just terrible, even for a winners it was bad.

Try out whole foods if you haven't been. Take a trip to get the Fougasse on the weekend from the bakery, its seriously the best thing since sliced bread!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 4:32 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Still lots of work to do at Lansdowne, Greenberg says

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 27, 2017 | Last Updated: January 27, 2017 5:04 PM EST

I recently had a wide-ranging interview with Roger Greenberg for a Canada 150 story (which will be published on this website in the near future) and we spent a bit of time talking about Lansdowne Park and the Ottawa Redblacks.

Greenberg, the co-owner and chair of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, said the company has “a lot of work to do” at Lansdowne.

“Our financial performance isn’t where we want it to be at this point in time,” he said. “I think we’ve come to the realization that, while the sports teams are the core and the reason why we got into this, we have to do a lot better at a lot of different things on site.”

That means doing better on retail and attracting a lot more events, he said.

(OSEG reported a $985,000 deficit for 2015. The 2016 figures probably won’t be finalized for several months, but it will be interesting to see if the extended football season and Grey Cup win helped the company).

On the positive side, Greenberg pointed out OSEG now runs its own event ticketing and merchandising. There have been improvements in food and beverage at TD Place, he said.

Greenberg also offered insight on some of the benefits of being a co-owner of a CFL franchise:

“What I like to do, one of the few perks of being an owner, is I like to go into the dressing room with John (co-owner John Ruddy) before the game. We don’t say anything. We just stand there. We wish good luck to Marcel (general manager Marcel Desjardins). We wish good luck to a couple of the other coaches. By and large, most of the players I think are afraid of us, I don’t know why. They seem to be afraid. For sure, Henry (quarterback Henry Burris) is one of the few who isn’t, and a couple of the other guys will come up and talk a little bit. But I don’t say anything. I just want to hear Rick’s (coach Rick Campbell) speech to the guys. And when the players run out onto the field, we’ll walk out and stand on the sidelines for a little bit.”

Another interesting anecdote came from the Grey Cup in Toronto last fall.

Greenberg said he learned just before kickoff that Burris might not play because of a knee injury the quarterback received in warmup. Greenberg and Ruddy went into the locker room to find Burris – one of the rare moments he wasn’t smiling – receiving treatment from trainers. Greenberg shook hands with the star QB, assuming Burris wouldn’t be playing. Greenberg, like many fans, was shocked to see Burris run onto the field to start the game and then lunge for the Redblacks’ first touchdown.

Earlier in our conversation, Greenberg stressed that he doesn’t get involved in football operations. But this was a moment that he couldn’t resist going over to Desjardins and asking (“I’m simply asking a question,” Greenberg said he told Desjardins) about the play call – a QB sneak with the star pivot on a damaged knee.

“Marcel just looks at me, he smiles, and he says, ‘We got the touchdown, didn’t we?’,” Greenberg said.

The rest is history.

“You know, they listened to me so much, that they went and did a quarterback sneak a second time, and that’s how (Burris) got two touchdowns,” Greenberg quipped.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...greenberg-says

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:25 PM

Holmwood Town Listing

Last edited by Holm Wood; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Wood View Post

On the video or the property? I assume from your name you might be the owner or a neighbour?

I think it is a great community. I was at the launch and considered this unit along with some of the other larger town houses. I think it turned out better than I imagined and if they get anything near this asking price they will have a tidy profit. You can buy a lot of house for that much money though and own the land and avoid common fees. Underground parking is nice but you still have to come outside.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:32 PM

One issue I have with these townhomes is that, since all the windows face north, they don't get much sunlight.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:15 PM

Is that two townhouses made into one? Didn't think they'd have four bedrooms at Lansdowne.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
One issue I have with these townhomes is that, since all the windows face north, they don't get much sunlight.
I know the answer!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Is that two townhouses made into one? Didn't think they'd have four bedrooms at Lansdowne.
You are right there weren't even that many 3 bedroom units.
Looks like they finished the basement and added a bedroom.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:26 PM

Does anyone know what were the price range for these townhouses when then went on sale from the builder.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods View Post
Does anyone know what were the price range for these townhouses when then went on sale from the builder.
I believe it was in the 700s for this unit on launch day. There may be upgrades in this unit as the base finishes were very poor and they also finished the basement. I could be off a bit on the price (in either direction). I usually keep the price lists but don't think I still have this one.

A Realtor could of course tell you what they paid which may have been a bit higher.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City considers relaxing noise restrictions for Lansdowne Park events

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 25, 2017 | Last Updated: April 25, 2017 5:21 PM EDT

Lansdowne Park could rock until 1 a.m. on weekends if the city approves recommended changes to the noise bylaw for events.

The city has been studying several elements of its noise bylaw since 2015 and it’s getting closer to making suggestions to council.

One of the proposals involves noise created during special events, and specifically the activities at Lansdowne Park and the Canadian Tire Centre. An online public consultation is ongoing.

Both properties do a good job of managing noise issues, the city says. When noise happens, it’s usually after an event when people are going somewhere else.

To make sure there are bylaw resources to crack down on noise in residential neighbourhoods, the city wants to push the noise exemption to 1 a.m. for events at Lansdowne Park and the Canadian Tire Centre on Friday and Saturday, and also on Monday if it’s a statutory holiday. On other days, the noise cutoff would stay at 11 p.m.

The proposal “recognizes the cultural and economic benefits of special events programming,” the city says.

Capital Coun. David Chernushenko, who represents the Glebe and Old Ottawa South, wasn’t available for comment Tuesday.

The city has studied other nuisance noises in Ottawa, too.

Snow plowing

The city wants to crack down on privately hired snow plow operators making a racket while people are sleeping.

Under the city’s proposal, powered snow-clearing devices wouldn’t be allowed on residential properties between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., unless five centimetres of snow have fallen over 24 hours.

Snow clearing has been exempt under the noise bylaw, but the city says more property owners are hiring snow-clearing services, which often work overnight after a significant snowfall.

There must be a balance between clearing snow and providing people with a good sleep, the city says.

The recommended plan would mean a decrease in complaints generated by overnight snow operations, according to the city.

Wind chimes

The city looked into noise complaints generated by wind chimes and decided there haven’t been enough gripes to justify a municipal wind chime ban.

Staff looked into wind chimes after receiving suggestions from councillors in 2015.

But the statistics show there have only been 15 noise complaints between 2012 and 2016 related to wind chimes.

The city could have suggested overnight bans or restrictions during strong winds, but staff recommend against writing new rules.

Trash collection

Not many noise complaints come into city hall about trash pickup, but the ones that do largely relate to private collection.

So, the city wants to enforce private collection companies making noise in the early hours by making it easier to fine the company, rather than going through an arduous process to identify the equipment operators.

City trash collection would be exempt from noise rules.

Bass

Bylaw officers could write tickets for people generating excessive bass, such as through stereos.

It would be too expensive for the city to buy specialized sound meters, so the city wants to give bylaw officers the discretion to lay charges in noise investigations related to low frequencies and vibrations.

All the officer would need to do is gather a witness statement and make an assessment of the level of disturbance.

Car alarms

The city has received between 200 and 300 complaints about car alarms in each of the previous five years, but staff don’t see a need for stronger noise rules.

In Ottawa, a car alarm can sound for 20 minutes before a bylaw offence occurs.

The city considered decreasing the time limit to five minutes, which is the threshold in Toronto.

However, the City of Ottawa believes the problem will disappear as car alarm technology advances.

Motorcycles

The city gave thought to the noise coming from motorcycles parked in people’s driveways, since staff record an average of 30 complaints annually.

Police enforce the roads, but it’s the bylaw department’s job to enforce noise coming from private properties.

The city doesn’t want to change the rules, but it wants the province to increase the fine for “causing unnecessary vehicle noise and having an ineffective muffler” to $400 from $305.

Construction

Construction-related noise complaints are up, especially in the central areas, as the city goes through an unprecedented amount of building.

The city plans to ask the construction industry what kind of impact further time restrictions could have on operations.

For now, the city wants to decrease the volume limit during a noise exemption. It would align the bylaw with provincial labour regulations.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ne-park-events

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa