HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 10:26 PM
Vertigo City

this project seems to have been in the planned/approved stage of development forever... i wanna see cranes, damnit!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 6:04 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
so, with all of yesterday's craziness behind us, i guess it's about time that we start getting impatient with this one, right?
We have been spoiled by all the exciting news lately, but what is happening with this one?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 4:07 PM
She needs her space

I really like the design of this building and can't wait for it to start? Where is this going to be ( I am familiar with the windy city so a street address is all I need).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 9:38 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 7:20 PM

any other pictures/renderings of it?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 7:43 PM

This design is the kind that makes me despair for Chicago. The great architectural heritage here ought to deliver less of these faux high-rise chateaux and something more striking and modernist. The River North area is awash in these insipid towers. I can't help but wonder about the consciousness of people who like this kind of architecture.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri
This design is the kind that makes me despair for Chicago. The great architectural heritage here ought to deliver less of these faux high-rise chateaux and something more striking and modernist. The River North area is awash in these insipid towers. I can't help but wonder about the consciousness of people who like this kind of architecture.
Right.
This one is not the worst though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ that's one of the big problems, these faux-historic throw-back towers win huge points with the old fuddy-duddy empty-nester crowd, who happen to be the main market demographic for many of these new residential super towers in chicago. they see a proposed rendering of something "old-timey" and they say "oh look dear, this one seems real nice and classy". it makes anyone with even an inkling of chicago's forward-looking architectural legacy want to retch.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:21 PM
Vertical Polyphony

I'm not aware of his official stance on this tower, but I can only imagine Blair Kamin pulling his hair out in frustration when he sees another one of these LaGrange retros.

Personally, I find this tower to be attractive. Yet, it is amazing when you realize how many towers LaGrange has put up north of the river. Pretty soon he won't need to send a resume. He'll just send a photo of the north half of Chicago's skyline. Maybe he wants that area to be renamed LaGrange in his honor, but someone should alert him to the fact that we already have one of those in the suburbs.

Elysian is not bad. His more modern designs capture my attention more though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:41 PM
THAT Guy

Elysian is a beautiful tower, from top to bottom and the interiors should be classy too. There's nothing wrong with this tower and those against it should focus their energy on fighting the crap that has invaded Chicago from 2000 to present.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 10:35 PM

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with my "consciousness" for liking this tower (or Park Tower, or the one on the corner of Pearson & Lakeshore). This is a far cry from cr*pola like Millenium Centre and The Caravel.

Just like the difference between cruddy modernism and the good stuff. Do I prefer more forward looking designs? On balance, yes I do. But even more, I prefer to have a variety of different styles of well-executed buildings. So LaGrange's work mixes in well and adds a lot of value to the cityscape.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
Vertical Polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds989
This is a far cry from cr*pola like Millenium Centre and The Caravel.
Completely agree.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 1:37 AM

Aw, I like Millenium Centre. It's unapologetically brutal.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri
I think that's overly harsh...not every tower will be groundbreaking, no does everyone want to live in a big piece of glass. Park Tower is not unattractive, and this will hearken to it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 2:36 AM

The Elysian is a fine tower (as is Park Tower) because they aren't just dead throwbacks - there's some real present day residential design put into these towers.

They are much different then the pomo-fuck-deco of Magellan or the personalityless Fifield work. Good architecture can be done with any materials.

Also, now is the least of times to despair for Chicago, we're on an amazing high.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 2:49 AM
Content provider

there are more modern plans in that area, which it needs.

I guess I don't hate it, but I do hate that other brand new one right in the 600 block of N Mich

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 11:03 PM
Vertical Polyphony

Any progress reports for this building? Are they still waiting for "The Clare" to reach a certain stage of development. What a transformation that corner will have since losing its 7-Eleven.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 1:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds989
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with my "consciousness" for liking this tower (or Park Tower, or the one on the corner of Pearson & Lakeshore). This is a far cry from cr*pola like Millenium Centre and The Caravel.
That and it has nothing on Grand Plaza Apartments across the street when it comes to ugly. That complex is in a class of its own. They even doubled up the ugly in case you overlooked just one tower.

In fact, I'd boost it up to fugly. Fugly squared even. Just a hair away from" hide the children from it."

Park Tower and Elysian are fine. They have that semi-retro victorian, praire (or whatever) look that is unique.

Last edited by STR; Mar 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 1:47 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
Aw, I like Millenium Centre. It's unapologetically brutal.
That and it has nothing on Grand Plaza Apartments across the street when it comes to ugly. That complex is in a class of its own. They even doubled up the ugly in case you overlooked just one tower.

In fact, I'd boost it up to fugly.

BTW since I've never done a shot explicitly showing Ely, here you go:

Last edited by STR; Mar 11, 2006 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 5:44 AM

^Great perspective. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture