HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:50 PM

Now they just need to fill in the other empty spot next to Dick's.
I wonder if anything will ever go in those two lots in the Rave parking lot and next to the Wellness Center?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Hey guys, I'm gonna pull a no no and ask for y'all's help. My friend and I have been having a night out each week and we're looking this week for somewhere that neither of us have been to in Huntsville.

Last week we did The Brick in Decatur, and the week before we did The Nook in Huntsville.

So, we're looking for somewhere that has a good beer selection, or just a good drink selection in general. Nothing expensive. Just somewhere that y'all might no about that is a cool hangout.

Any ideas?
Mellow Mushroom always has a big selection of beers. Some local too.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
Now they just need to fill in the other empty spot next to Dick's.
I wonder if anything will ever go in those two lots in the Rave parking lot and next to the Wellness Center?
The Rave parking lot lots would have to be some type of daytime office like an insurance agency.

The other lot next to Dicks could be used as a pedestrian entrance to the shopping center connecting via bridge to the greenway/park across the creek with small coffee and yogut shops on either side of the walkway.

Not that I have given it much thought...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0022 View Post
Lol I feel your pain. Here in Montgomery no new skyscrapers at least not in downtown since we have a new 6 story limit. Possibly after the economy really starts to get back in shape then maybe some real announcements will start rolling in. Most developers are still skittish of loosing their shirts with skyscrapers. Louisville's 65 story one fell through. Bham hasn't had a new one in what feels like decades that I know of. At least in downtown proper.
I'd like to see Huntsville & Montgomery get a few skyscrapers, I feel for the size of the cities themselves, that they are well deserving of them.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapitalbama View Post
I'd like to see Huntsville & Montgomery get a few skyscrapers, I feel for the size of the cities themselves, that they are well deserving of them.
It really is ironic that the cities with no real skyscrapers even have a thread. I keep checking to see if there are any new developments and there are none.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
The Rave parking lot lots would have to be some type of daytime office like an insurance agency.

The other lot next to Dicks could be used as a pedestrian entrance to the shopping center connecting via bridge to the greenway/park across the creek with small coffee and yogut shops on either side of the walkway.

Not that I have given it much thought...
Hahaha, I've always thought that maybe one of the spots in the Rave lot should be a yogurt/icecream place. It just seems like they would make a ton of money from the people coming out of their movies. There's not a self serve yogurt type place over in Jones Valley yet...
I like the idea for the other spot too. But I could see them filling in with a few small shops and just closing off that spot. It would be nice to have a little walkway between though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
Hahaha, I've always thought that maybe one of the spots in the Rave lot should be a yogurt/icecream place. It just seems like they would make a ton of money from the people coming out of their movies. There's not a self serve yogurt type place over in Jones Valley yet...
I like the idea for the other spot too. But I could see them filling in with a few small shops and just closing off that spot. It would be nice to have a little walkway between though.
I have thought about the yogurt/icecream idea, but I don't think a business would want to be open at night in the rave parking lot because there wouldn't be any parking for the customers. Even if they put up some "Reserved Parking" signs there would just be a constant pain of trying to make sure everybody was complying and having violators towed.

The problem with that other lot is that it is a big lot without much of a store front which is very important to potential tenants. If you put the walkway through the lot, then you have a large storefront onto the walkway making it easier to lease (hypothetically of course).

Last edited by ThatGuy; Jun 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 3:35 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Brusters Ice Cream is a couple blocks away

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:42 PM

And Cold Stone is right there too. Sweet CeCe's in Hampton Cove (although not convenient to this area) is really good!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 8:14 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Some inetersting figures on the impact Redstone Arsenal has in the Huntsville area. These numbers should continue to rise in the coming years.

Redstone Arsenal has a $2.3 billion annual economic impact on North Alabama and southern Tennessee, by the estimate of numbers used by the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce.

That figure accounts only for salaries on Redstone, according to John Southerland, communications director of the chamber.

In Huntsville and Madison, there are 19,939 people employed at Redstone, according to the chamber's numbers.

There are 4,831 employees in Lincoln County, Tenn., 2,207 employees in Arab and Marshall County and 2,147 employees in Decatur. In Athens and Limestone County, the annual economic impact is $25.6 million.

The chamber says there were about 30,000 jobs at Redstone before the latest BRAC. About 36,000 jobs will be here after BRAC and other potential growth.

After the latest BRAC, the work force will account for about $3.15 billion in annual salaries and $226 million in annual tax contributions, according to the chamber.

Of the $9.8 billion Alabama receives in federal dollars, Redstone receives $5.8 billion

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Major downtown development possible. This area could be the biggest and most significant downtown development we have seen if done correctly. (Hey Airport Road Averbuch, pay attention)
The old Councill Court propert between Huntsville Hospital and Big Spring Park.
A great location for some mid to high rise buildings.
From the Huntsville Times
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- "The city and Huntsville Housing Authority are moving toward a "memorandum of understanding" that would guide the redevelopment of about 15 acres of prime land in the medical district.

Both sides want to see the former Councill Courts public housing site near Huntsville Hospital turned into a mix of shops, offices and apartments, possibly surrounding a small park.

During a meeting Monday, Housing Authority board members said it makes sense to collaborate with the city on the property's future. Councill Courts was closed in early 2010 as part of the authority's efforts to deconcentrate poverty.

"I'm very excited about us working together for the betterment of the community," said Phil Redrick, an Alabama A&M professor and the new chair of the volunteer board that oversees the authority.

"That's probably overdue," added board member Dick Fountain. "I think it'll probably be mutually beneficial for us and the entire city."

Michael Lundy, executive director of the authority, said the memorandum of understanding would lay out a vision for redeveloping the land that potential buyers would have to follow.

The basic idea, he said, is to make sure the property has a variety of uses and is pedestrian-friendly. "It would be a place where citizens from all over the city can congregate and relax," Lundy said.

Marie Bostick, acting planning director for Huntsville, said city officials would like to see the property developed with an "urban village" feel. That will become much more visible in 2014, when the city is scheduled to extend Harvard Road through the former Councill Courts site to Lowe Avenue downtown.(This will be a new major landscaped gateway into downtown from Governors Drive)

"In essence, this is an agreement between the Housing Authority and the city to say, 'This is our shared vision of what the new property should be along the new gateway into downtown,' " Bostick said Monday.

National Bank of Commerce already has dibs on a large chunk of Councill Courts. The bank has agreed to pay the authority $2.17 million for 2.27 acres at the corner of St. Clair Avenue and Gallatin Street.(Don't blow it guys, you have a great location to make a major architectural impact on the city!)

More land could soon be under contract. Lundy told board members that someone made an offer Friday afternoon on another 6.28 acres. He declined to identify the buyer or what they are proposing to build."

All of this could be linked directly to Big Spring and beyond. In reality you could have a urban linear walkable park from the hospital all the way to Constellation or east to the courthouse square.A new parking garage is also part of the big picture. Several high rise condos , hotels and shops would make this a nice destination. The developer of the previous proposed downtown Sheraton should broaden his vision and look a little south a few blocks, there is great potential here.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 10:02 PM
America's Mars Rocket

New tenants for Bridge Street
from WHNT

A cozy coffee shop called Café 153, The Heritage Club, Altar'd State, and Soma Intimates are all new businesses to Bridge Street and more are on the way. Sephora, the popular perfume and cosmetics chain, is slated to open July 8th. A combined Toys R Us/Babies R Us is under construction now and will open later this year.

The center is nearly completly leased but a rumored large department store,
other out parcel spots and another office tower are still possible

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
...the city is scheduled to extend Harvard Road through the former Councill Courts site to Lowe Avenue downtown.(This will be a new major landscaped gateway into downtown from Governors Drive)
I know where Harvard Rd is on the southside of Governors, but there isn't a street directly across. There IS a Captain D's there though. It would be nice to have a nice entryway to downtown without having to run over nurses and doctors (they ruin my paint-job).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The basic idea, he said, is to make sure the property has a variety of uses and is pedestrian-friendly. "It would be a place where citizens from all over the city can congregate and relax," Lundy said.
Being "pedestrian-friendly" is a key to a vibrant downtown core. I hope Lundy is correct and this becomes a reality soon.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:44 PM

New Wal-Mart Center on 72 West near Balch Rd.

Colonial Properties now has a website for the new Wal-Mart Shopping Center located on 72 West just west of Balch Rd. (in the HSV City Limits). Construction is set to begin in July.

Here are links to
A. The site plan:
http://files.residentworks.com/media...7f00fc9765.pdf

B. The Fact Sheet which includes an artists rendering
http://files.residentworks.com/media...0489312581.pdf

C. The Shopping Center's webpage:
http://colonialcommercial.prospectpo...bsite_document[id]/21497/

The following stand out about the center: The Wal-Mart appears to have a more atttractive design than their existing stores with what appears ot be stacked stone - this is proabablly due to the higher income shoppers in the area they will seek to attract. Also, more importantly is the number of outparcels they (Colonial) will attempt to sell. When you consider the lots at the Watercress Center (Kroger at Jeff Rd.), the Target shopping center being built near the Madison Hospital and now this center, this is a lot of space for restaurants and banks to fill. The question is will these new restaurants significantly hurt the existing restaurants located near Enterprise Way. Also, will Rosie's, Logan's and others look at locating in these new centers further west which are located closer to the affluent households in Madison, Harvest and Monrovia who are their core customers. Time will tell how long it takes to sell all of these outparcels. So far, Watercress hasn't been selling them too quickly. Texas Roadhouse is the only restaurant mentioned in that center.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Colonial Properties now has a website for the new Wal-Mart Shopping Center located on 72 West just west of Balch Rd. (in the HSV City Limits). Construction is set to begin in July.

Here are links to
A. The site plan:
http://files.residentworks.com/media...7f00fc9765.pdf

B. The Fact Sheet which includes an artists rendering
http://files.residentworks.com/media...0489312581.pdf

C. The Shopping Center's webpage:
http://colonialcommercial.prospectpo...bsite_document[id]/21497/

The following stand out about the center: The Wal-Mart appears to have a more atttractive design than their existing stores with what appears ot be stacked stone - this is proabablly due to the higher income shoppers in the area they will seek to attract. Also, more importantly is the number of outparcels they (Colonial) will attempt to sell. When you consider the lots at the Watercress Center (Kroger at Jeff Rd.), the Target shopping center being built near the Madison Hospital and now this center, this is a lot of space for restaurants and banks to fill. The question is will these new restaurants significantly hurt the existing restaurants located near Enterprise Way. Also, will Rosie's, Logan's and others look at locating in these new centers further west which are located closer to the affluent households in Madison, Harvest and Monrovia who are their core customers. Time will tell how long it takes to sell all of these outparcels. So far, Watercress hasn't been selling them too quickly. Texas Roadhouse is the only restaurant mentioned in that center.
This really sucks for the city of Madison. Hopefully the Target and its outparcels get built and filled quickly.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 2:06 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Good letter in todays paper about the pathetic street abbreviations going on in H'ville. (I didn't write it)
Abbreviating street names should never be done. Meml pkwy..what is that?
Pulaski Pke? What you couldn't add the "i".
It's lazy, stupid, wrong, confusing and cheapens the aesthetics of the road system.
Mayor Battle, get all the street signs the same font, NO abbreviations unless there is a real problem with fitting it, signs level instead of looking like Helen Keller put them up and push to get correct overhead signs throughout the city. Westbound on I-566 over Chapman Mountain, what city are you in?
Which way to downtown? How about Birmingham, Madison, etc?
Decatur is not the control city for I-565. Same issues on Research Park Blvd.
Oh I mean Rsch Pk Blvd. Going downtown take meml pkwy to cltn go est, then rt on hrt of hvlle to mnro, vbc is on left.
Huntsville's signs look like they were done by kids for Saturday morning yard sales.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 2:43 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

That's a funny post.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:36 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Good letter in todays paper about the pathetic street abbreviations going on in H'ville. (I didn't write it)
Abbreviating street names should never be done. Meml pkwy..what is that?
Pulaski Pke? What you couldn't add the "i".
It's lazy, stupid, wrong, confusing and cheapens the aesthetics of the road system.
Mayor Battle, get all the street signs the same font, NO abbreviations unless there is a real problem with fitting it, signs level instead of looking like Helen Keller put them up and push to get correct overhead signs throughout the city. Westbound on I-566 over Chapman Mountain, what city are you in?
Which way to downtown? How about Birmingham, Madison, etc?
Decatur is not the control city for I-565. Same issues on Research Park Blvd.
Oh I mean Rsch Pk Blvd. Going downtown take meml pkwy to cltn go est, then rt on hrt of hvlle to mnro, vbc is on left.
Huntsville's signs look like they were done by kids for Saturday morning yard sales.
As for the overhead signs, there actually is a reasoning. The reason they use "Airport" so much in downtown is because typically you would have chosen a different route to get to Decatur than taking memorial parkway.

Westbound on Chapman, once you get into city limits, they usually slap on the next control city. I think Birmingham might be the only city where they use downtown as a semi control. However, I agree that they need to at least put signage up telling you which exits to get off of to go into downtown. It's probably hard for an out of towner to figure out eactly which two exits take you there.

And, I thought Decatur was a control city for 565. Why wouldn't city where the terminus is be a control city? Typically, they don't let a city where the interstate simply passes through it be a control city (Madison). A good example would be I-85 in Montgomery, where you see no signage for Auburn, it's all for Atlanta.

I will agree completely, though, on the street signs. Putting Pke for Pike is kinda pointless. What? You're only saving like maybe a dollar or so? That's like saying "Jne" instead of "June."

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:27 PM

--Here is an update to the new outparcel at Valley Bend. It has some tenant announcements in it.

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- The last of the outparcels available at Valley Bend at Jones Farm shopping center is now being developed.

The 13,200-square-foot Shoppes at Valley Bend, to be built between Dick's Sporting Goods and Carl T. Jones Drive, will have up to seven potential spaces, said Wesley Crunkleton, qualifying broker with Crunkleton & Associates in Huntsville, the project's developer and leasing agent for Valley Bend LLC. The building shell is scheduled to be completed Nov. 1, he said.
"The center is already over 50 percent leased with a fourth space under LOI (letter of intent,)" Crunkleton said. "There will be a good mix between restaurants, service and shopping."

Roosters Men's Grooming Center is the first announced tenant. Roosters has another Huntsville location in The Village of Providence.

Among other tenants will be a self-serve yogurt concept that's new to Huntsville and a restaurant, Crunkleton said. "We're talking to three different (restaurant) groups to nail down the best option for the center."
Valley Bend's first phase, including Target, has 367,000 square feet of space, said Raymond Jones Jr. of Valley Bend LLC, a partnership of Jones family members.

The second phase that includes the section from Hobby Lobby to Dick's, has 132,111 square feet. The complex also includes numerous outparcels and a Kohl's store under construction across Carl T. Jones Drive.

The existing shopping center is 100 percent leased, prompting the development of The Shoppes at Valley Bend, Crunkleton said.

SKT Architects is the architect for the project and Carl Lowe Construction is the contractor.

--I'm excited to find out what restaurant ends up going in there. I hope its something new to the area and not something we already have a dozen of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast