HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 41 30.15%
Agree 33 24.26%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.97%
Disagree 16 11.76%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.85%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Personally I think the saddledome still looks great today. It really aged well, and it's distinctive roof (which can't hold lighting equipment for modern concerts) puts other modern stadiums to shame in terms of style.

They don't build them like that anymore.

Saddledome remains the 6th largest hockey arena by capacity in the entire world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...as_by_capacity

It's a thing of beauty.
You might think that, I'm not sure many others do though. It's got about as much beauty as the Calgary Tower. IMO, of course.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:24 PM
Near Generational

I really like the Saddledome's roof.

I hope that they can retain some of those design elements in the new building, if and when one ever gets built.

Last edited by DoubleK; Feb 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM. Reason: bad engrish.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:03 AM

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/2/23/...st-pyeongchang

Might as well get use to the idea of the Olympics rotating through a small handful of cities and reusing venues...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 4:02 PM

$5.2-billion Olympic plan unveiled as council votes to send Calgarians to the polls

MEGHAN POTKINS, CALGARY HERALD
Updated: September 12, 2018

Calgary’s bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics survived a crucial hurdle Tuesday as council voted overwhelmingly to continue with a planned November plebiscite on the Games.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-2026-olympics

Bumping this thread. Surprised none of the regular posters has done this yet after yesterday’s Olympic news. I wasn’t surprised to see an NHL sized arena not included in the budget because as Moran states, the infrastructure meets the needs of the Olympics. I am surprised, however, that an airport LRT line and/or a regional train line to Banff wasn’t mentioned at all. I think both would be necessary!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
$5.2-billion Olympic plan unveiled as council votes to send Calgarians to the polls

MEGHAN POTKINS, CALGARY HERALD
Updated: September 12, 2018

Calgary’s bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics survived a crucial hurdle Tuesday as council voted overwhelmingly to continue with a planned November plebiscite on the Games.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-2026-olympics

Bumping this thread. Surprised none of the regular posters has done this yet after yesterday’s Olympic news. I wasn’t surprised to see an NHL sized arena not included in the budget because as Moran states, the infrastructure meets the needs of the Olympics. I am surprised, however, that an airport LRT line and/or a regional train line to Banff wasn’t mentioned at all. I think both would be necessary!
It's incredible to think there would be no transit upgrades to support the Olympics and this is looking 8 years ahead.

We are facing even further potential cuts to transit in the next budget. To think we can host the Olympics and keep cutting transit out, especially with events hosted outside of the city in the mountains is a pipe dream. It's just not realistic for all tourists to rent a car and drive to the mountains and all over the city. If they think an airport "BRT" is going to cut it, this will disappoint many tourists and leave them with a not so great impression of our city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:17 PM

It's probably beyond the scope of the Olympic committee to start suggesting specific transit improvements, they are just there to say the bare minimum 'needs' for sporting facilities. There's no way that committee is in a position to say that we'll need specific rail lines, and really there is nothing they can't do with buses - Calgary has an infinitely better road network than Vancouver and they had no train to Whistler.

Not that I don't hope this does spur transit investment, although I'd hope those investments were built primarily for our transit needs over the next hundred years than a single event.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:03 PM

Yeah - the BC bid included items they were likely doing anyways to make it look more impressive, as was the style of the time. Like if we were just starting the airport project and the BMO Centre expansion and included them and the Greenline and the ring road in the budget to make it look bigger.

The Canada Line had been planned already, and upgrading the Sea to Sky too. The convention centre was probably advanced a bit, and made more fancy.

For Olympics we couldn't just include other things in the bid to guarantee funding for them from other levels of government over and above existing commitments. In BC the legacy projects that wouldn't have happened the same way were the Olympic Oval (repurposed as a rec centre), curling (converted to a community facility with gyms and curling sheets and a hockey rink - attached to an existing aquatic centre) and the UBC mid sized arena (7,500 people for hockey). In Calgary the legacy facilities are the field house, the mid-sized arena (if built instead of the Flames led event centre), a big renovation of McMahon, and life cycle and upgrades to all other facilities.

McMahon Stadium options here: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=13399

It looks like the BidCo chose Option 3, $74 million, ~29,000 permanent, and 40,000 for the games (an option to go to 55-56,000 would involve temporary seats in the south endzone as well:

it would involve opening up the stadium like this:

For this layout:

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 6:13 PM

Nenshi ready to cancel olympics

Nenshi, scrambling to cover his butt. Plebiscite may not happen unless Justin throws the mayor a Hail Mary.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...-funding-furor

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Nenshi, scrambling to cover his butt. Plebiscite may not happen unless Justin throws the mayor a Hail Mary.

The feds effectively fucked Calgary over again. Their pledge is 100% a political move and another kick in the nuts to our city. Maybe now dumbass Nenshi will realize what most of the rest have known all along when it comes to dealing with Justin's government. I doubt he'll ever realize how stupid this Olympic bid is but if we get one out of the two things it'll be a start. What we really need is for him to resign.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 7:11 PM

Guess we'll find out what's going on tomorrow. I think the comments above regarding Nenshi are misplaced. He's working hard to getting the best possible for the city, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Personally I'd love to see another Olympics in the city.

Last edited by suburbia; Oct 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 8:38 PM

How is the pledge a problem? It is right in the feds policy, and in their letter they sent to Nenshi earlier, that they provide 50 cent dollars and require matching.
" the Government of Canada will limit its contribution to a maximum of 35% of total event costs and will not exceed 50% of the total public sector contribution to the even" https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...rt-events.html

I don't get why the province and the city are surprised.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
How is the pledge a problem? It is right in the feds policy, and in their letter they sent to Nenshi earlier, that they provide 50 cent dollars and require matching.
" the Government of Canada will limit its contribution to a maximum of 35% of total event costs and will not exceed 50% of the total public sector contribution to the even" https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...rt-events.html

I think they are just trying to get the best deal they can. The only real "problem" is right-wing PostMedia and the "no" vote spinning this negatively.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 11:59 PM

I wouldn’t be too upset if Calgary withdraws from bidding. It’s quite likely a European city will be awarded the 2026 games before a North American city gets it again. Save the bid money and put in a bid for 2030 games which gives us 4 more years of planning to get our act together.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

This is why they are surprised. It looks like the only party that has been totally honest with us has been the province and if it wasn't for them revealing some things we'd be more in the dark than we are. The feds are definitely fucking us over. Nenshi and the city administration are not much better. I hope council presses hard to find out why they've been kept in the dark on key matters during this process. I'd also like them to force the plebiscite to go ahead so Nenshi has to live with a 90%+ no vote.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I think they are just trying to get the best deal they can. The only real "problem" is right-wing PostMedia and the "no" vote spinning this negatively.

No spin needed....The whole bid was a disaster and stupid to begin with.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
No spin needed....The whole bid was a disaster and stupid to begin with.
You sound like Trump. No facts, just empty rhetoric.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You sound like Trump. No facts, just empty rhetoric.

Really...closed door meetings...not properly funded....not a clear representation of the facts to the public. No real new infrastructure upgrades. Possible split city venues. So where is the benefit for the majority of Calgarians? Its just an ego games. Stop the Trump crap. Pretty weak argument from you...but that's nothing new.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Really...closed door meetings...not properly funded....not a clear representation of the facts to the public. No real new infrastructure upgrades. Possible split city venues. So where is the benefit for the majority of Calgarians? Its just an ego games. Stop the Trump crap. Pretty weak argument from you...but that's nothing new.
Obviously there is need for some closed door discussions during negotiations. Obviously negotiations are required while funding is discussed. Numerous infrastructure upgrades have been mentioned. Massive economic and infrastructure benefit to the city, in addition to massive ignition of the economy.

Stop with the fake news. You're sounding pretty rotten.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
From the info that has come out it's even worse than you say. City council just found out on the weekend via the press and the province that the City's commitment was pegged at $370 million. If that isn't bad enough it sounds like Nenshi was willing to ask the feds to allocate Green Line funding to the Olympics. If this had happened last year there's no way he would have got reelected. I hope council pushes for the ethics commissioner to investigate this mess so we can find out exactly what happened and who was involved.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Obviously there is need for some closed door discussions during negotiations. Obviously negotiations are required while funding is discussed. Numerous infrastructure upgrades have been mentioned. Massive economic and infrastructure benefit to the city, in addition to massive ignition of the economy.

Stop with the fake news. You're sounding pretty rotten.
Oh come on, you can't say this with a straight face. I'm undecided whether I support the bid or not, but what little has been presented so far has shown a very modest bid with the absolute bare bones of what we would need - not that there is anything wrong with that. There has definitely been no massive infrastructure announced, just the bare minimum of extra sporting facilities, and only the delusional would agree that Olympic games have massive economic stimulus associated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy