HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 38 33.63%
Agree 27 23.89%
Undecided / Neutral 15 13.27%
Disagree 13 11.50%
Strongly Disagree 20 17.70%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Personally I think the saddledome still looks great today. It really aged well, and it's distinctive roof (which can't hold lighting equipment for modern concerts) puts other modern stadiums to shame in terms of style.

They don't build them like that anymore.

Saddledome remains the 6th largest hockey arena by capacity in the entire world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...as_by_capacity

It's a thing of beauty.
You might think that, I'm not sure many others do though. It's got about as much beauty as the Calgary Tower. IMO, of course.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:24 PM
#YYC

I really like the Saddledome's roof.

I hope that they can retain some of those design elements in the new building, if and when one ever gets built.

Last edited by DoubleK; Feb 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM. Reason: bad engrish.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:03 AM

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/2/23/...st-pyeongchang

Might as well get use to the idea of the Olympics rotating through a small handful of cities and reusing venues...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 4:02 PM

$5.2-billion Olympic plan unveiled as council votes to send Calgarians to the polls

MEGHAN POTKINS, CALGARY HERALD
Updated: September 12, 2018

Calgary’s bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics survived a crucial hurdle Tuesday as council voted overwhelmingly to continue with a planned November plebiscite on the Games.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-2026-olympics

Bumping this thread. Surprised none of the regular posters has done this yet after yesterday’s Olympic news. I wasn’t surprised to see an NHL sized arena not included in the budget because as Moran states, the infrastructure meets the needs of the Olympics. I am surprised, however, that an airport LRT line and/or a regional train line to Banff wasn’t mentioned at all. I think both would be necessary!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
$5.2-billion Olympic plan unveiled as council votes to send Calgarians to the polls

MEGHAN POTKINS, CALGARY HERALD
Updated: September 12, 2018

Calgary’s bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics survived a crucial hurdle Tuesday as council voted overwhelmingly to continue with a planned November plebiscite on the Games.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-2026-olympics

Bumping this thread. Surprised none of the regular posters has done this yet after yesterday’s Olympic news. I wasn’t surprised to see an NHL sized arena not included in the budget because as Moran states, the infrastructure meets the needs of the Olympics. I am surprised, however, that an airport LRT line and/or a regional train line to Banff wasn’t mentioned at all. I think both would be necessary!
It's incredible to think there would be no transit upgrades to support the Olympics and this is looking 8 years ahead.

We are facing even further potential cuts to transit in the next budget. To think we can host the Olympics and keep cutting transit out, especially with events hosted outside of the city in the mountains is a pipe dream. It's just not realistic for all tourists to rent a car and drive to the mountains and all over the city. If they think an airport "BRT" is going to cut it, this will disappoint many tourists and leave them with a not so great impression of our city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:17 PM

It's probably beyond the scope of the Olympic committee to start suggesting specific transit improvements, they are just there to say the bare minimum 'needs' for sporting facilities. There's no way that committee is in a position to say that we'll need specific rail lines, and really there is nothing they can't do with buses - Calgary has an infinitely better road network than Vancouver and they had no train to Whistler.

Not that I don't hope this does spur transit investment, although I'd hope those investments were built primarily for our transit needs over the next hundred years than a single event.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:03 PM

Yeah - the BC bid included items they were likely doing anyways to make it look more impressive, as was the style of the time. Like if we were just starting the airport project and the BMO Centre expansion and included them and the Greenline and the ring road in the budget to make it look bigger.

The Canada Line had been planned already, and upgrading the Sea to Sky too. The convention centre was probably advanced a bit, and made more fancy.

For Olympics we couldn't just include other things in the bid to guarantee funding for them from other levels of government over and above existing commitments. In BC the legacy projects that wouldn't have happened the same way were the Olympic Oval (repurposed as a rec centre), curling (converted to a community facility with gyms and curling sheets and a hockey rink - attached to an existing aquatic centre) and the UBC mid sized arena (7,500 people for hockey). In Calgary the legacy facilities are the field house, the mid-sized arena (if built instead of the Flames led event centre), a big renovation of McMahon, and life cycle and upgrades to all other facilities.

McMahon Stadium options here: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=13399

It looks like the BidCo chose Option 3, $74 million, ~29,000 permanent, and 40,000 for the games (an option to go to 55-56,000 would involve temporary seats in the south endzone as well:

it would involve opening up the stadium like this:

For this layout:

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy