HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:46 AM

yea i thought it was pretending to be stone island, a pretty expensive brand that they carry at holt renfrew, but it seems river island is also a real brand

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=SpongeG;8147507]yea i thought it was pretending to be stone island, a pretty expensive brand that they carry at holt renfrew, but it seems river island is also a real brand

Stone Island is a favoured clothing brand for various yobs, chavs and wannabe football hooligans in Britain. I'm surprised Holt's carries it.

Now I'd be delighted if Waitrose expands to Canada.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=TrickyTree;8148335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yea i thought it was pretending to be stone island, a pretty expensive brand that they carry at holt renfrew, but it seems river island is also a real brand

Stone Island is a favoured clothing brand for various yobs, chavs and wannabe football hooligans in Britain. I'm surprised Holt's carries it.

Now I'd be delighted if Waitrose expands to Canada.
Burberry is also a chav favourite in Britain, but in Canada it’s considered completely chi-chi and a mainstay of stores like Holt Renfrew.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:48 PM

Phase 1 (30-Storey tower) is heading to Council tonight for 1st / 2nd reading. Master Plan is also seeking council endorsement.

https://urbansurrey.com/2018/04/07/p...ds-to-council/

The outdoor amenity on the podium roof is sounding very nice.

Also as for the retail - Uniqlo and other clothing stores maybe not so far fetched. In the CIVITAS master plan for the site - they envision 102A as a new retail 'high street' connecting through to Central City Plaza.

http://www.civitasdesign.com/georgetown.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:42 AM

That would gen great to have 102a a high street connecting to the mall. So given that it would've been nicer to have a stronger streetwall along 102a

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:01 AM

6-storey would have been nicer for a street wall - but I think it will turn out better than the renders suggest. A floor of retail with 2 storey townhouse above isn't bad. The rest of the street will have some height variation.

Also those white sidewalks shown are actually bike lanes - incorrectly rendered. Will be asphalt. Actual sidewalks are wider and up against the building.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:40 AM

I like this building a lot and I think the townhouses look awesome.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:17 AM

Yeah it's not bad. It is odd having a lawn on either side of the bike lane though. Also I'm hoping there will be on street parking along 102a

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:31 AM

A retail high street won't work with a big plaza on the north side in Phase 3.
That'll interrupt the flow of pedestrians.

... just realized that this is the block we thought would have a second floor retail space for Save-on-Foods.
(i.e. reason for the at-grade parking and escalators)
... disappointing - but maybe that signals that Save-on-Foods is moving elsewhere (i.e. King George Station?)

Current Plan:
Escalators and elevator are gone from the NE corner.

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...16-0448-00.pdf

Old Plan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Early look at the Anthem Properties site and how they plan to break it up. No renders or any more details so far.

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:10 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Frankly I never hope for more parking in an area so well served by transit.
I find it makes for a nicer street. And not everyone uses transit. Especially in this area

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:16 AM

Street parking makes for a good barrier between the sidewalk and moving traffic and I'd like to see it on most of the streets here (together with lower parking requirements for the buildings themselves). But If 102a is going to be more of a shopping "high street", I'd rather they take steps to minimize or even eliminate car traffic altogether and reserve as much of the street as possible for pedestrians.

As for the building: not a fan of the tiny podium at all. Anything less than 3-4 floors is honestly just a waste of space.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:43 PM

Seven-tower ‘Georgetown’ development ‘almost a community on its own,’ says Surrey councillor - Apr 24, 2018

Quote:
Big changes are afoot in Surrey’s City Centre as another developer has received the green light to build towers in the area that’s being transformed into the next downtown core for the Metro Vancouver region.

On Monday, Surrey council gave its blessing to the first phase of a development project that, if all approved, will include seven towers, townhouses and an outdoor plaza near 102nd Avenue and King George Boulevard.

As phase one of seven, Anthem Properties plans to build a 30-storey tower with 342 apartments and ground floor commercial, as well as nine two-storey townhouses for its proposed “Georgetown” development on the southern portion of a 10-acre property at 13665 102nd Ave.

Surrey council gave the first phase of the project third reading on Monday, after much public support was expressed at a public hearing.

While phases two through seven are intended to be developed as future projects, Anthem hoped Monday to “obtain a level of certainty from council that the proposed density and development concept for phases two through seven is acceptable.” It’s a similar approach taken on comparable “master plan” developments in the area such as West Village and Flamingo Block, which will see that area transformed into Surrey’s “Yaletown” according to developer Tien Sher.

It seems Anthem’s got it.

“I don’t see any reason that we won’t be talking about the finale of all of this… It had virtually no opposition,” Councillor Mike Starchuk told the Now-Leader Tuesday, describing the project as “almost a community on its own.”

“There’s going to be thousands more families living in the downtown core,” he added.

“There’s so much street animation, so much walkability, bikeability,” said Starchuk. “Their intent is to make it walkable with small boutique shops and they want to be able to accommodate the Save-On Foods and Canadian Tire (which are tenants on the property right now).”

Starchuk also praised the amenities in the project, from a theatre-style projection set-up with covered seating available if the weather is poor, to a plaza and playground, to space that could even be used for a farmer’s market.

Anthem’s “master plan” involves ultimately subdividing the property into seven lots in order to create a mixed-use community, complete with a “significant public open space plaza” at the centre of the site.

Phase two includes one 32-storey and one 32-storey tower with ground floor commercial, and phase three includes a six-storey residential building with ground floor commercial centred on a large public plaza.

A 41-storey tower is proposed in phase four, a 39-storey tower with office space in phase five and a 45-storey high-rise with office space in phase six.

Finally, a 15-storey mid-rise residential building with ground floor commercial space as phase seven.

The project’s landscape architect, Jennifer Stamp, told council of many efforts made in public open spaces.

Stamp said it’s hoped the commercial at ground-level can have many restaurants.

“It’s thought there could be market days or sidewalk sales, we’re trying to provide a flexibility of use,” she added.

Stamp also spoke of a children’s place area, a plaza, water feature, a pavilion with shade trees and seating, as well as walkways and bikeways.

Rob Blackwell, senior vice-president of Anthem Properties, told city council ahead of their approval that it’s hard to predict how long the entire project would take to complete.

“The first phase, if given approval, would take three years from breaking grounds to completion and each phase is of a similar period of time,” he explained. “If the market is robust we can go through faster and have a quicker overall pace but I would estimate overall that we would be looking at something like seven or eight years.”

A report to council notes Save-On Foods and Canadian Tire will continue to operate, on the northern side of the site, where future phases are proposed to be built, approximately 325 metres away from Surrey Central SkyTrain Station across King George Boulevard.

In phase one, the apartments are to range in size from 359 to 686 square feet, according to the application, in a variety of housing types including 85 studio units, 172 one-bedroom units and 85 two-bedroom units.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:13 PM

The A&W on the site has closed shop now and all of their signage is gone. One step closer to them breaking ground.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:48 PM

Another large development that will be a carbon copy of Everything else, painted concrete and spandrel everywhere. Yay

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
The A&W on the site has closed shop now and all of their signage is gone. One step closer to them breaking ground.
Nice - this one may actually start this year then.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Another large development that will be a carbon copy of Everything else, painted concrete and spandrel everywhere. Yay
You should probably go get an architecture / urban design degree / start a firm / do something better then

This project is actually quite well designed / thought out from a master plan perspective. Detailed design of the buildings within it (aside from this first tower) hasn't even been submitted. The first tower isn't carbon copy at all if you bother to look at the details. The outdoor park / amenity on the podium is above an beyond with an outdoor theatre for one thing. The tower shape is also nicely curved to reflect the curvature of Whalley Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:13 AM

Georgetown

I am very curious of the price of Georgetown, Phase 1 would go for.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Those signage guys were also working on the Canadian tire after they finished A&W. Although, everything still looks the same at that CT.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Oh really? That was my go to spot for mobile bandit app 2 for 1 teen burgers. Plus there was a really cute girl that worked there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley