HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 12:12 AM
User Registered

Good news about the 10 and 20.

Kinda sucks the 7 and 8 will be eliminated though.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Good news about the 10 and 20.

Kinda sucks the 7 and 8 will be eliminated though.
Regarding the 8, Paul Hubert, who is councillor for where much of the route runs through, is requesting the LTC retain the route. (though it falls below their new standards) The letter can be found in Section VI of the full agenda: http://www.ltconline.ca/Agendas/012516Main.pdf

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:26 PM

I take the 30 for work. When I checked the link, it is actually losing frequency, going from 30 minutes to 40 minutes. They're extending the hours it operates, but as has been mentioned on here many times: any bus route over 30 minutes in frequency might as well not exist.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:04 AM

Too bad they didn't carry out 1, 4 & 6 route proposed changes. They made a lot of sense, rather than having 3 (5 if you include 12 & 91 express) routes that ran north-south within 1 km of each other and duplicating.

But seems LTC to move at baby steps, not want to upset the applecart.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 6:28 AM

Yeah, the 1 currently has the worst routing in the system. As someone who goes from Pond Mills to downtown, I sometimes find myself transferring to the Express on Wellington/Grand Ave to get downtown faster, which works actually.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:45 AM

So the 4A is still going to stop service from Upper Queens down, where is the bus going to terminate at then?

I like most of it, except I think they should retain the 14 route, but have it go to Fanshawe as well (going NB, not SB). I just think its ridiculous how a crap load of students will get off the 14 and then crowd the 4/90/91, when it can just go to Fanshawe and come back.

BTW, is there any changes at all to the Community buses? Do they even still run, I don't think I've ever seen one of them in years.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
So the 4A is still going to stop service from Upper Queens down, where is the bus going to terminate at then?

I like most of it, except I think they should retain the 14 route, but have it go to Fanshawe as well (going NB, not SB). I just think its ridiculous how a crap load of students will get off the 14 and then crowd the 4/90/91, when it can just go to Fanshawe and come back.

BTW, is there any changes at all to the Community buses? Do they even still run, I don't think I've ever seen one of them in years.

Basically, only the 4B routing (in Lockwood Park) will be retained. The 4A and 4B now will only refer to the direction of the White Oaks loop.

In the 5-year plan, there are no changes at all to the Community buses. They are all scheduled to run every 75 minutes during the base period (between rush hours)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
I take the 30 for work. When I checked the link, it is actually losing frequency, going from 30 minutes to 40 minutes. They're extending the hours it operates, but as has been mentioned on here many times: any bus route over 30 minutes in frequency might as well not exist.
You should call your councillor about this one. If someone's going to bat for the 8, when much of its route is within walking distance to good service on Oxford, someone should advocate for those of you who depend on the 30.

What were these "schedule adherence" issues they mention? Were they that bad? I wish, when I'm not meeting my objectives at work, I could just lower then.

You're right that 40 minutes is terrible service, and for many people might as well not exist. Anyone less than totally committed to transit will simply not take it. Not a good way to build ridership.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:01 PM
User Registered

City unveiling first dedicated bus lane

http://london.ctvnews.ca/city-unveil...lane-1.3186451

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
City unveiling first dedicated bus lane

http://london.ctvnews.ca/city-unveil...lane-1.3186451
A very good location for one. I used to take the 10 Wonderland when I was at Western and this location was an awful bottleneck at rush hour even 10 years ago.

This lane so far looks very unpopular on Facebook. London drivers will not have had experience previously with transit being given priority, even though this is a fact of life in many other cities.

The problem these lanes run into is car drivers who think the rules don't apply to them and use the lanes themselves. I was in Ottawa last week and saw numerous drivers trying to use a bus-only lane on Scott Street. In Kingston I've seen several drivers use a bus-only left turn lane. And in Toronto many drivers disobey rules on King Street reserving the streetcar ROW for streetcars and taxis at certain times of day.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 11:44 PM

I was coming home Costco Friday, and saw cars using the bus only turn lane. London drivers are ignorant twats, if cops were free they could make some nice fines at Sarnia intersection.

This is where I can see push back with BRT. Have new road capacity designated as transit only is one thing. But taking existing roads and reducing capacity is where the challenge will be. Richmond & King streets will be eviscerated.

Good job overall with the Sarnia improvments, long overdue!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:40 AM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
I was coming home Costco Friday, and saw cars using the bus only turn lane. London drivers are ignorant twats, if cops were free they could make some nice fines at Sarnia intersection.
Will take time for drivers to adjust sadly. Bus only lanes are a new concept here. Strong police presence for reinforcement will definitely help

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 3:46 PM

they need to provide enough well lit signage early enough to give drivers a heads-up of the bus only lane. paint the surface as well as overhead signs.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 2:44 AM

The Free Press is reporting there's some bus route adjustments coming in September. Most notably, route 25 will go directly from Masonville Place to Fanshawe College, in about 30 minutes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The Free Press is reporting there's some bus route adjustments coming in September. Most notably, route 25 will go directly from Masonville Place to Fanshawe College, in about 30 minutes.
The other ones I have noticed are that the 90 Express will start operating on weekends and that Route 2 will be the first route (in modern times) to operate every 15 minutes on Sundays, 11 am to 7 pm.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 12:24 PM
User Registered

CBC article stating old streetcar rail tiles were found during York St. construction

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...tion-1.4653718

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
CBC article stating old streetcar rail tiles were found during York St. construction

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...tion-1.4653718
Yeah, I saw a pile of heavily decomposed railway ties early in the construction process. Hopefully now without the organic material and new engineer fill there will be fewer potholes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:44 PM

Many were also found in the Hamilton Rd construction west of Egerton.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground100 View Post
Regarding the 8, Paul Hubert, who is councillor for where much of the route runs through, is requesting the LTC retain the route. (though it falls below their new standards) The letter can be found in Section VI of the full agenda: http://www.ltconline.ca/Agendas/012516Main.pdf
Was it kept? I saw the 7 bus is still running.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
Was it kept? I saw the 7 bus is still running.
Yes, it becomes the 11 downtown. 7 will have a minor change at Argyle Mall this fall. Currently, it continues to take Wavell St behind Argyle before stopping at Argyle. Now when it is traveling east, it will go to Argyle first, then goes around behind Argyle and then back into Argyle before heading west. It to get people to Argyle faster and it will be the fasted route to Argyle from downtown.

When the 7 become the 11, the 11 ends up taking a shorter routing. Currently, it goes down Viscount to Cranbrook up to Commissioners. And instead of getting on or off Commissioners at Beachwood, it will be absorbing some of Route 23. 23 is being scrapped, so the 11 will get on of off Commissioners at Topping Lane. in the end, it will be the 15 "Westmount" that will service most of Westmount. It will be split into the 15A and 15B.

Here is the Final 2018 Service Plan from the LTC website to further clarify it with some maps.

These changes will increase the 7/11 frequency from a crappy 30 mins to a somewhat better 20 mins. This is weekdays, so nights and weekends the 7 will still be more frequent. I got on the 7 one time before it became the 11, and it did not become the 11. I have done this twice. The other time the bus driver was a condescending prick. I didn't even say anything, he just started off treating me like an idiot. And sure I was ignorant of this fact, but seriously, just say "This bus does not become the 11". Like 2 seconds turns into 30-60 secs because the bus driver wanted to ask unnecessary questions instead of telling it like it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure