HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:56 AM

Not exactly a punk hangout, but anyone remember Madame Wong's in Chinatown. More of a New Wave crowd as I recall. The place had a nice vibe. I saw the Go-Go's there before they hit it big.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

... or how about the Atomic Cafe, on the southwest corner of First and Alameda?

avanishingworld

GSV
I'm glad you mentioned th Atomic Cafe Scott Charles. I know that we've touch on it in the past but there are a few things I didn't realize.

The small photograph in your post isn't the same building as the one shown in the GSV.

Here it is larger to see the detail of the building.

from RAFU

This is the Atomic Cafe at it's original location. -"soon to be displaced by the LAPD Parker Center." kcet
(the original address is missing in the kcet article) -I'll get to that later.

"The Matobas opened the Atomic Cafe in Little Tokyo in 1946, with memories of the bomb and nuclear fears fresh in people's minds."
Hoo Boy, I was waaay off the mark on this one. I thought the name 'Atomic Cafe' was from the punk era in the 1980s.

THAT SAID...
I don't understand why someone with Japanese heritage would name their cafe after the atomic bomb ONE YEAR after it was dropped on Japan.
(& remember..there was also the Nisei girls club named the 'Atomettes'. [HERE]

Minoru and Ito Matoba in the kitchen at Atomic Cafe. [late 1940s?]

Yosuke Kitazawa at KCET

cute couple.

no doubt taken shortly after WWII and the Bronzeville era.

Yosuke Kitazawa at KCET

Last look at the interior of the original 'Atomic Cafe'.

Yosuke Kitazawa at KCET

"The cafe moved to the old brick building at First and Alameda in 1961." (I believe this is the famous juke-box that survived into the 1980s' punk era)

"First and Alameda" is the building in Scott Charles' GSV view. (shown below in the 1980s)

Yosuke Kitazawa at KCET
__

also...

Scott Charles' GSV surprised the hell out of me because I thought the building was demolished (because of the photograph shown below)

(there is no explanation with this pic) it just came up when I googled 'Atomic Cafe'

Gabby O'Niell/anti-club places

Did someone stop the demolition at the last moment? Did they decide to move it
__

re: The original address:

Unless I overlooked it, I didn't see the street address of the original Atomic Cafe in the kcet article.

The address I found (in two different city directories) is 177 S. San Pedro St.

LAPL

but that places the cafe a block south of the Parker Center (remember, the article said the cafe was displaced by the Parker Center)

GOOGLE EARTH

Did I mess up the location somehow?

Special thanks to Yosuke Kitazawa

DISCOVER NISEI

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Scott's GSV surprised the heck out of me because I thought the building was demolished

because of this photograph

Gabby O'Niell/anti-club places

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED! Was the demolition stopped at the last minute??
Sorry for the confusion, ER - to be clear, the building HAS been torn down!

GSV

I simply used the "time travel" feature on Google Maps because I was trying to stir memories of the Atomic itself - not the vacant lot that replaced it. Sorry about that!

It's interesting to learn that the Atomic has such a long history, and that there was a previous location - I never knew there was a previous location.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:11 AM

Well that's disappointing. I should have double checked before I did my post.
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles
I never knew there was a previous location.
I didn't know about the earlier location until yesterday Scott.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2018 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:40 AM

Madame Wong's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
Not exactly a punk hangout, but anyone remember Madame Wong's in Chinatown. More of a New Wave crowd as I recall. The place had a nice vibe. I saw the Go-Go's there before they hit it big.

The "e" in Madame got left off the poster:

Steve at Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:59 AM

This poor lady is having a bad day.

Morphine Gimlet

What do ya'll think she's thinking?
_

well shoot, I just realized this photograph was posted before.

I'm going to bed.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2018 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
Yes, I saw many shows at Madame Wong's in Chinatown as well as Madam Wong's West in Santa Monica. Around 1982 I was in a band that played at both clubs about a half-dozen times. I'm trying to recall the names of other clubs I went to. Hong Kong Cafe, Mabuhay Gardens, Cathay de Grande, Club Lingerie, The Anti-Club, among others. I'm sure I was at Club 88 once or twice but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. The venue I went to more than any other was the Starwood, at Santa Monica Blvd. and Crescent Heights. I saw around 50 or 60 shows there...great memories. Never got to visit the legendary Masque in Hollywood, alas.

I once paid $4 for a show at the Whiskey A Go Go with Devo, Blondie, and the Ramones on the same bill. They were all relatively unknown at the time.

I was never a punk per se. The local alternative music scene was incredibly diverse and attracted all manner of odd ducks, myself included.

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Apr 23, 2018 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
That's a great story Otis. What was the name of your band? -if you don't mind me asking)

Could this be your band?

SWS/flickr

were you that skinny?
____
I've been that skinny, Does that count?

Our band was named "The Afflictions." If I recall correctly, we played Club 88 in 1985 or a bit later.

Thanks for asking! It was a fun time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:

Morphine Gimlet

"Good tires, perhaps, but certainly not GREAT tires."

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:44 AM

Quote:

"Original Circa 1902 Tin Type Photo Shoot the Chute Los Angeles Chutes Park ?"

This has to be pretty rare, right?

a closer look at the two gentlemen if you will.

Do you think the slide is a backdrop or are the two men actually outside in front of the chutes lagoon?

I believe it's a backdrop.

That's an interesting photo you've got there, e_r. I agree that the ride is probably a backdrop, and an early one at that,
since the Chutes Theater is missing next to the ride on the north/right:

2003-0353 at CA State Library

Washington Gardens aka Chutes Park re-opened with the new Chutes ride in February 1901, so the backdrop photo
could not have been taken before then:

February 22, 1901, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Here are a couple of photos of the park without the theater; I think the Chutes ride is under construction in the
first photo below:

The Chutes Theater opened in December 1901, further dating the backdrop photo. The October 6, 1901, Los Angeles Times
says the theater "will be erected on the site of the pony track facing the present entrance to the grounds":

December 21, 1901, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

In addition to the photo apparently showing a backdrop of the ride, it doesn't look like those two men are in an
actual boat from the ride. Here's a close-up from the CA State Library photo above (the car at upper left reads
"Your Turn Next"):

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 4, 2019 at 5:41 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Yes, I saw many shows at Madame Wong's in Chinatown as well as Madam Wong's West in Santa Monica. Around 1982 I was in a band that played at both clubs about a half-dozen times. I'm trying to recall the names of other clubs I went to. Hong Kong Cafe, Mabuhay Gardens, Cathay de Grande, Club Lingerie, The Anti-Club, among others. I'm sure I was at Club 88 once or twice but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. The venue I went to more than any other was the Starwood, at Santa Monica Blvd. and Crescent Heights. I saw around 50 or 60 shows there...great memories. Never got to visit the legendary Masque in Hollywood, alas.

I once paid $4 for a show at the Whiskey A Go Go with Devo, Blondie, and the Ramones on the same bill. They were all relatively unknown at the time.

I was never a punk per se. The local alternative music scene was incredibly diverse and attracted all manner of odd ducks, myself included.
We might have crossed paths, HS, I played Madam Wong's (especially Santa Monica) in the 80's as well. Good to see some other musicians here at NLA!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
We might have crossed paths, HS, I played Madam Wong's (especially Santa Monica) in the 80's as well. Good to see some other musicians here at NLA!
I played a lot of clubs in the 80s/90s/00s, but none of the places you guys played at. I played at the Troubadour, the Roxy, and Gazzarri's in the 80s. In the 90s, Genghis Cohen on Fairfax was another one I played at, then there was King King on Hollywood Blvd, Saint Stephens Green in Santa Monica, and Spaceland and the Silverlake Lounge in Silverlake. And the Kibitz Room on Fairfax. And Largo.

Never got to play at The Mint. Never got to play at the Viper Room. Never got to play Molly Malone's. Never got to play at the Whisky.

The Starwood was before my time. There were other clubs I played at, too, but I can't remember their names anymore, as pretty much all of them are long gone. Some places I played, like this place on the corner of Santa Monica and El Centro, are still standing but with new names, and I don't remember what their names used to be.

Handsome Stranger, where was Club Lingerie? Of all the clubs on your list, it's the only one that rings a bell with me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I simply used the "time travel" feature on Google Maps because I was trying to stir memories of the Atomic itself - not the vacant lot that replaced it. Sorry about that!

It's interesting to learn that the Atomic has such a long history, and that there was a previous location - I never knew there was a previous location.
That's the new Little Tokyo station for the Regional Connector which goes underground between there and 7th and Flower.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:

Morphine Gimlet

_

well shoot, I just realized this photograph was posted before.

I'm going to bed.
"I'd walk a mile for a camel."

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:32 PM

LAT Oct 4, 1962

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:45 PM

^^^

That's not showing up for me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:56 PM

Beck's home ?

Quote:
I seem to recall that this flat building was where Beck (the pop singer) lived in his chilhood or maybe later. Maybe someone gets a reliable info.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Probably of interest to no one but myself...but what the heck. I just discovered today that there's some major changes going on at the southeast corner of the Sunset Las Palmas Studios lot (formerly Hollywood Studios, Inc., Jasper Hollywood Studios, Metropolitan Sound Studio, General Service Studios Hollywood, Hollywood General Studios, Zoetrope Studio, Hollywood Center Studios).

(I love this lot mostly because Green Acres and The Addams Family were filmed here.)

It does interest me, too!

So that's where Rao's is?! (Center right.) I never looked it up, but have heard of it on occasion. That address is where the Hollywood Canteen was (not the 1940's spot) until sometime around 2011, maybe.

Notice on the left side above the doors they paid an homage to the
original style lettering of the famous club for servicemen.

Rao's opened in 2013 and I like that they kept the clock:

Hollywood Reporter

And, yes, it's an "outpost" of the legendary 120 plus year old NYC East Harlem Italian restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ100 View Post
The Addams Family was filmed on the stage that is wrapped in plastic. That stage housed the main Addams Family House set. The interior/exterior set filled the entire stage. It was enormous. Our production offices were in the buildings that are torn down. Lot of fond memories working that lot.

In 2013, the year Rao's opened, some pictures taken by Richard Fish surfaced of what
The Addams Family set looked like in color. So I'm guessing you saw it that way, too?

Richard Fish

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:

Handsome Stranger, where was Club Lingerie? Of all the clubs on your list, it's the only one that rings a bell with me.
I don't want to preempt Handsome Stranger's recollections, but here's a little info I found. The following is from rockandrollroadmap.com:
Once a very popular club site for the late-night set. Don't blink when you drive by as it is very easy to miss.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction and Nirvana all hit their stage in the '80s, and by the early '90s, it was the hottest Hollywood rock venue this side of the Whisky.

Club Lingerie
6507 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90028
One of the commenters claims to have sold cocaine there in 1984 while working as a security guard.

The Club Lingerie name still appears on the GSV images up until 2009 (below). Since then, the building seems to have been repainted in a different style almost every year.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:

GSV

Wow, i love this thread! My dad loved buying books that mentioned his name or his groups, well for years i had this one book called "The L.A. Musical History Tour" by Art Fein. In it he has little blurbs about important venues and the ones that always stood out was "Al's Bar" , "Club 88" and "Atomic Cafe" ..the Starwood is mentioned along with the body shoppe and others. Its super cool seeing in depth pictures of these places. I was lucky enough to go into the Senor Fish before it was torn down. They made a great effort to save it.

If any of you are into the LA music scene check out the book, i think they have an updated version.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos