HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for for the leader of the Alberta PC party?
Alison Redford 12 48.00%
Doug Griffiths 2 8.00%
Doug Horner 2 8.00%
Gary Mar 4 16.00%
Rick Orman 1 4.00%
Ted Morton 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:40 PM
Radley77's Avatar
Radley77 Radley77 is offline
The City That Moves
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeland, Calgary
Posts: 1,451
Gary Mar leads as PC leadership vote looms: Poll

Quote:
Gary Mar: 31%
Alison Redford: 20%
Doug Horner: 12%
Ted Morton: 10%
Rick Orman: 5%
Doug Griffiths: 4%
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ga...#ixzz1Xqr13D7z

I talked to a number of friends from different circles, and it seems like there is definitely broad support for Alison Redford in Calgary. The poll indicates that Gary Mar has the broadest support throughout the province. Glad to see the "Shredder" Ted Morton trailing so badly; wouldn't be suprised if some of the leadership candidates are holding back new signups.

Last edited by Radley77; Sep 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:05 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,499
The choice should be between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:42 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,696
The poll was conducted basically as the Morton email scandal broke. I wonder how it will end up affecting him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:18 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,526
Redford is a great candidate for Mayor of either Edmonton or Calgary, but not a very good candidate for Mayor of small town Alberta. This will unfortunately be her undoing.

Mar is trying very hard to outflank Morton on the far right of the campaign. This is likely to position himself for a possible thrid round second choice ballot victory should history repeat itself and Morton supporters become king makers again.

Morton is holding onto his far right and rural Alberta support base. It won't take Ted to the promised land but it will put into the King maker position.

Horner is too much like Redford and big city brand will cost him with the rural PC voters.

Best hope for a Redford win is to have Horner and Orman throw support behind her and to have both Morton and Mar in the final three.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
gantenbein gantenbein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 138
I've read it a couple times now, but where exactly is this notion that Mar is 'outflanking Morton on the right' coming from? Is it just what he said about health care, or is there something else to it. I ask this sincerely -- I haven't followed every utterance of the candidates.

I'm by no means a Mar supporter (or a supporter of any C/conservative politician), but I just can't follow how someone could think Mar is suddenly to the right of Morton. I know Morton's currently keeping stumm about his more frightening beliefs, but that's strategic -- does anyone really believe it's some kind of sudden political conversion?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 7:52 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
I've read it a couple times now, but where exactly is this notion that Mar is 'outflanking Morton on the right' coming from? Is it just what he said about health care, or is there something else to it. I ask this sincerely -- I haven't followed every utterance of the candidates.

I'm by no means a Mar supporter (or a supporter of any C/conservative politician), but I just can't follow how someone could think Mar is suddenly to the right of Morton. I know Morton's currently keeping stumm about his more frightening beliefs, but that's strategic -- does anyone really believe it's some kind of sudden political conversion?
I was wondering the same thing, obviously being from Newfoundland and Labrador I have not been following the race much but I did find these comments odd. What I have read is that Mar, Redford and Horner are all basically red Tories.

I don't see anything really right-wing in this http://garymar.ca/wp-content/uploads...licy-Book1.pdf

Last edited by PoscStudent; Sep 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 5:57 AM
Bassic Lab Bassic Lab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Uh, because Morton is a raging homophobic bigot and Mar supported same-sex marriage?

Because Morton has the support of Rob Anders?
More because Mar, as others have mentioned, has made the conscious decision to advocate for two tier healthcare. Even the Wildrose starts throwing euphemisms around when they talk about their plans for healthcare.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:54 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,981
So who's voting tomorrow?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:55 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,696
I'm thinking of joining to vote. Still undecided, but 3 possibles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,981
I got my membership earlier in the week. I'm going to do a bit o' research tonight and figure out who gets my vote.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
I've read it a couple times now, but where exactly is this notion that Mar is 'outflanking Morton on the right' coming from? Is it just what he said about health care, or is there something else to it. I ask this sincerely -- I haven't followed every utterance of the candidates.
You are right, Mar should be a red Tory, however he appears to have changed throughout the leadership bid.

Indications that Mar is right wing as Morton:
- 2 tier healthcare, Mar grabbed Canada's third rail with both hands. If he gets electrocuted tomorrow - it will be over healthcare.
- Mar's platform is long on low taxes and smaller government, short on new spending or grandiose big government ideas.
- Mar's letter to citiesmatter (both in format, language, and lack of specifics) closely mirror that of Morton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:53 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,619
Has any candidate said when they want to go to the polls?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 1:16 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,981
Well I voted. The teen girl and guy sitting at the ballot table commented that mine was the first internet-purchased membership they had seen that day, and I mentioned that there was a button right on the front page of the website where you can buy it, and she said "people shouldn't have to pay".

Future conservative, right there
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 2:32 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,981
Well with 6% reporting, Mar has 49.5%
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:04 AM
Radley77's Avatar
Radley77 Radley77 is offline
The City That Moves
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeland, Calgary
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Well I voted. The teen girl and guy sitting at the ballot table commented that mine was the first internet-purchased membership they had seen that day, and I mentioned that there was a button right on the front page of the website where you can buy it, and she said "people shouldn't have to pay".

Future conservative, right there
Haha! I went to the Calgary Mountain-View polling location and was suprised that it was very slow when I went. More people at Higher Ground coffee shop.

What do you think of the results?

I was excited for Doug Horner to make it into the top three as that was a big question mark whether it would be him or Ted Morton. I think this is indicative of the PC base.

I like Gary Mar, but I'm concerned he has so many friends within the old party structure that he'll be reluctant to make changes (he had 26 MLA endorsements) compared to Doug Horner (15 MLA's) and Alison Redford (1 MLA). Only Alison and Doug strike me as the candidates who are willing to stick their necks out to make changes where appropriate.

Anyways, I don't mind Gary Mar, but I don't think he is the best for the job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:18 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 22,415
Sounds like Gary Mar might be the next Premier, and I have to admit that I don't really know much about him.

When is the next provincial election?
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:10 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Sounds like Gary Mar might be the next Premier, and I have to admit that I don't really know much about him.

When is the next provincial election?
Whenever the next Premier decides to call it. Last one was (I think) about 2-3 years ago so we don't have to have one by law for another few years.

Last time around wasn't Stelmach in 3rd place after the first ballot? just because Mar is in first after the first doesn't necessarily mean a lot at the end.
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:02 PM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Whenever the next Premier decides to call it. Last one was (I think) about 2-3 years ago so we don't have to have one by law for another few years.

Last time around wasn't Stelmach in 3rd place after the first ballot? just because Mar is in first after the first doesn't necessarily mean a lot at the end.
The last election was March 3, 2008, so the next one will be no later than March 2013, but probably sooner.

It seems common in western democracies that there is a bit of a 'gentleman's agreement' that an election is called within 1 year of a change of leadership (Not just in Alberta), so as not to look like the role of Premier was filled without a mandate from all voters.

Yup, Stelmach was in 3rd. The only difference I see for Mar is that when Stelmach got the job, the front runner after the first vote had only 30% of the vote, while Mar has 40%. In the last leadership race, the candidates who did not make it to round 2 had a lot more power to ask their supporters to choose a different candidate. This time, the supporters of the bottom 3 would have to *all* choose Alison Redford, and she could barely win so long as no Mar voters changed their minds. I'm not sure if Horner could win with the supporters of the bottom 3 if no one else changed their mind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 8:26 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The last election was March 3, 2008, so the next one will be no later than March 2013, but probably sooner.

It seems common in western democracies that there is a bit of a 'gentleman's agreement' that an election is called within 1 year of a change of leadership (Not just in Alberta), so as not to look like the role of Premier was filled without a mandate from all voters.

Yup, Stelmach was in 3rd. The only difference I see for Mar is that when Stelmach got the job, the front runner after the first vote had only 30% of the vote, while Mar has 40%. In the last leadership race, the candidates who did not make it to round 2 had a lot more power to ask their supporters to choose a different candidate. This time, the supporters of the bottom 3 would have to *all* choose Alison Redford, and she could barely win so long as no Mar voters changed their minds. I'm not sure if Horner could win with the supporters of the bottom 3 if no one else changed their mind.

Additionally, in the last leadership race it was Stelmach who legitimately won on the second ballot. It might be a stretch to see Allison win. I am eager to see who might throw their support behind her. But I have a feeling that most will support Mar
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 12:11 AM
cranium's Avatar
cranium cranium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 108
Just heard that Morton and Orman have both endorsed Mar for the upcoming second ballot. Not saying they will deliver all their supporters to Mar, but they will deliver most. Looking very unlikely that Redford or Horner can repeat what fast Eddie did coming up the middle from third in the last leadership race.
__________________
No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.