HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:47 PM
suburb suburb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 925
Pandas at the Calgary Zoo

Probably a pinch ahead of myself here, but am curious about where the Pandas will go. In addition, clearly there are business, political and economic implications, so hopefully this is an appropriate thread for this forum.

Pandas coming to Calgary:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...das-china.html
Quote:
The Calgary Zoo says it's getting excited about rolling out the welcome mat for two Chinese pandas.

Zoo spokeswoman Laurie Skene says China has agreed to lend Canada two pandas for 10 years.

The animals will divide their time equally between the Toronto and Calgary zoos, though it's not known which city they'll visit first.

Skene says the two governments are still finalizing details such as the ages and genders of the pandas.

A formal announcement is expected Saturday when Prime Minister Stephen Harper visits the city of Chongqing.

The pandas will be a huge draw at the Calgary Zoo, predicted Gordon Houlden, director of the China Institute at the University of Alberta.

I suspect you'll get destination tourism. People will be coming from Vancouver, people will be coming from other parts of the Prairies. Even the western United States … specifically to see the pandas,” he said.


Skene says the pandas won't arrive in Canada for at least a year as the zoos upgrade their facilities to accommodate them.

Go to http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...das-china.html for the rest of the article.
__________________
"Vegetables are what foods eat" - M.E.C.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:18 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 22,552
I remember when they had Pandas about 25 years ago. I was a kid and was more excited that some stores had Panda ice cream. lol
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:21 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
I never did see the pandas when Winnipeg had them in the late 80s, and trying to get into the San Diego zoo has always been a .. challenge, to say the least. So I'm kinda looking forward to this. Although I'm told they're a bit boring to look at.

This combined with the penguins (fellow black and white animals!) should re-kindle an interest in the zoo for many.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:25 PM
polishavenger polishavenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,498
The pandas are best to watch at feeding time, as they do some hillarious stuff. I saw them at the Calgar zoo way back when, and then again when I was in Chengdu China.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:47 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,682
I remember what a big deal it was when i was a kid and the pandas came to Calgary. There was a whole curriculum at school built around it. I too am very curious where the exhibit will go. Will they be building a whole new habitat? I imagine that there is room in the Canadian Wild portion, or in the Dinosaur park since they are getting rid of that.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:00 PM
MonctonGoldenFlames's Avatar
MonctonGoldenFlames MonctonGoldenFlames is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I remember when they had Pandas about 25 years ago. I was a kid and was more excited that some stores had Panda ice cream. lol
a friend of mine is writing to lucerne to get them to re-instate their panda ice cream!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:38 PM
suburb suburb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
a friend of mine is writing to lucerne to get them to re-instate their panda ice cream!
Was it bamboo flavoured?
__________________
"Vegetables are what foods eat" - M.E.C.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:47 PM
5seconds's Avatar
5seconds 5seconds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Was it bamboo flavoured?
Chocolate and Vanilla for the bear, strawberry surrounding it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:13 PM
Yahoo Yahoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I remember what a big deal it was when i was a kid and the pandas came to Calgary. There was a whole curriculum at school built around it. I too am very curious where the exhibit will go. Will they be building a whole new habitat? I imagine that there is room in the Canadian Wild portion, or in the Dinosaur park since they are getting rid of that.
They're getting rid of the dinosaur park? Nooooo! Say it ain't so. They could modernize it perhaps with mechanical dino's like they had temporarily, but there is a huge interest in dinos. And of course we could house real dino's there if they ever get the amber & cloning bugs worked out ;-)

I saw the panda back in 1988 (I think it was the Olympic year). I was disappointed since all I really got to see was a hairy back, sleeping behind a little hill. I guess timing is everything. It's like when I saw Koala's in an Australian zoo. I stood there for 20 minutes before one even moved lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
JBinCalgary's Avatar
JBinCalgary JBinCalgary is offline
Original Member since '99
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,641
haha, i remember panda ice cream!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:56 PM
polishavenger polishavenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Was it bamboo flavoured?
Nope, Panda flavoured.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:13 AM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
They're getting rid of the dinosaur park? Nooooo! Say it ain't so. They could modernize it perhaps with mechanical dino's like they had temporarily, but there is a huge interest in dinos. And of course we could house real dino's there if they ever get the amber & cloning bugs worked out ;-)

I saw the panda back in 1988 (I think it was the Olympic year). I was disappointed since all I really got to see was a hairy back, sleeping behind a little hill. I guess timing is everything. It's like when I saw Koala's in an Australian zoo. I stood there for 20 minutes before one even moved lol.
They did have mechanical ones recently, still not that huge of an attraction though, definitely could be a better use of that space
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:19 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:37 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?
I think they're out in the Canadian Wilds area, ie left when you come in, over by the bears, etc. at least that's were they were building when I was there last 2ish years ago, looking at the map on the website I can't be sure about that though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:42 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?
I still think it is cool, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well.
__________________
Renfew, Calgary, Alberta.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:44 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,682
They are immediately to the right of the main entrance. When you come out of the tunnel under Memorial the exhibit is right ther
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:04 PM
suburb suburb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I think they're out in the Canadian Wilds area, ie left when you come in, over by the bears, etc. at least that's were they were building when I was there last 2ish years ago, looking at the map on the website I can't be sure about that though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
They are immediately to the right of the main entrance. When you come out of the tunnel under Memorial the exhibit is right ther
Full Mountain is correct. Immediately to the LEFT upon coming out of the tunnel under Memorial.

You can watch a 3D fly through:
http://www.calgaryzoo.org/content/view/772/879/
__________________
"Vegetables are what foods eat" - M.E.C.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:18 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Full Mountain is correct. Immediately to the LEFT upon coming out of the tunnel under Memorial.

You can watch a 3D fly through:
http://www.calgaryzoo.org/content/view/772/879/
Where I was picturing it was farther out, but you're right it's directly beside the entrance
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:43 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,682
Lol that's what I get for posting when I am half asleep
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 9:32 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?
I agree, the Dinosaur park is a waste of valuable space.


Jurasic Park by D-2-C, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.