HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:12 PM
YIMBY

SLR Lenses - What do you have?

For the Photogs

I'm heading to San Francisco and Chicago in the next few months and am hoping to pick up a new lens. I have a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 currently. What do you use for general architecture photography?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:41 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
For the Photogs

I'm heading to San Francisco and Chicago in the next few months and am hoping to pick up a new lens. I have a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 currently. What do you use for general architecture photography?
A massive zoom lens is always fun; though, a good start is a 100 - 250 or somewhere around there. Apparently the broader range of the lens, the worse quality you get at either end......or something like that. Hopefully someone else can add something for you and guide you in the right direction.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:50 PM
Hare Expert

I have a Sigma 12-24 (For full frame) that I use for buildings now and then. I'd recommend filling in the range between 16mm and 50mm. Try a 35mm or a 24mm. I have a Canon 28mm f/2.8 that only I seem to like. It's (very) compact, reasonably good in quality, and was cheap.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
A massive zoom lens is always fun; though, a good start is a 100 - 250 or somewhere around there. Apparently the broader range of the lens, the worse quality you get at either end......or something like that. Hopefully someone else can add something for you and guide you in the right direction.
As much as a long lens would be great, I like to shot from up close, so I find my self wanting something between the Tokina and the 50mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I have a Sigma 12-24 (For full frame) that I use for buildings now and then. I'd recommend filling in the range between 16mm and 50mm. Try a 35mm or a 24mm. I have a Canon 28mm f/2.8 that only I seem to like. It's (very) compact, reasonably good in quality, and was cheap.
Exactly, I just found this Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Anyone know anything about it? Thinking it could be an walk about lens and the Tokina could be the second lens with the 50mm coming out at special times. Not to mention the price is right.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Last edited by Full Mountain; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Here and There

Quote:
I like to shot from up close, so I find my self wanting something between the Tokina and the 50mm

Exactly, I just found this Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Anyone know anything about it? Thinking it could be an walk about lens and the 11-16 could be the second lens with the 50mm coming out at special times.
I see.....not much into macro yet, so not much to add.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:10 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

My Sigma 10-20 is definitely my most-used lens (especially for urban photography), but I do get out the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses on most outings.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:38 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

I have an 18-200 and it is sweeeeeeet. While it might be nice to go a little wider than 18, it's the go-anywhere, do-anything lens that's great for travelling. Plus I'm a klutz, so the less I change lenses in the field, the better.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:10 PM
Editor

I find I mostly use my 18-105 lens. The other lens I use alot is the 35mm f1.8

The 18-105mm is a good tourist walking around kind of lens due to the good range. The 70-300mm lens is fun, but I don't tend to use it much.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
As much as a long lens would be great, I like to shot from up close, so I find my self wanting something between the Tokina and the 50mm

Exactly, I just found this Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Anyone know anything about it? Thinking it could be an walk about lens and the Tokina could be the second lens with the 50mm coming out at special times. Not to mention the price is right.
It's quite well thought of, particularly for the price. The biggest problem with superzooms I've faced is the narrow aperture. Most are f/3.5 on the wide end at best, and f/5.6 or worse at the telephoto end, pending on the focal length. I found I rarely used anything over 100mm at all, so a superzoom made no sense. f/2.8 is worlds better.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 1:53 AM
恭喜发财!

I use Canon's EF S 15-85 on my 7D - not super wide, but wide enough to fit most of a building even up close. I'd like to get a Tamron 70-300 to go with it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:33 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I use Canon's EF S 15-85 on my 7D - not super wide, but wide enough to fit most of a building even up close. I'd like to get a Tamron 70-300 to go with it.
15 - 85mm is a great range....a great walkabout lens. There are a few times when I wish I had a little more angle than 18mm.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
15 - 85mm is a great range....a great walkabout lens. There are a few times when I wish I had a little more angle than 18mm.
Isn't your dSLR full frame, though? If it is, then your 18-105 is wider, as the 7D has a crop factor of 1.5x, meaning that my 15mm is actually equivalent to 24mm on a full frame camera.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Isn't your dSLR full frame, though? If it is, then your 18-105 is wider, as the 7D has a crop factor of 1.5x, meaning that my 15mm is actually equivalent to 24mm on a full frame camera.
I wish lenses were marketed by their 35mm equivalent or at least included it in the specs, its frustrating trying to figure out if a lenses length is based on a crop sensor or a full frame. Not to mention if its designed for a full frame or crop!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:20 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
I wish lenses were marketed by their 35mm equivalent or at least included it in the specs, its frustrating trying to figure out if a lenses length is based on a crop sensor or a full frame. Not to mention if its designed for a full frame or crop!
SLR lenses are always designated by their true focal length. Whether or not it's for full frame depends on the maker. Canon uses EF and EF-S, Nikon uses some other stuff, Sigma uses DC if I remember, etc. As a matter of comparison I have a 4x5 and 210mm is normal-ish, and on my 8x10 480mm is the same.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos