HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:38 PM

[Burnaby] Aviara | 32fl | Escala | 42fl | Completed

I thought I would start a thread for the Aviara property near Brentwood Mall since they recently opened their presentation centre to VIP clients/realtors and early on-line registrants.

I toured it this past Monday. They have a two bedroom unit built to scale that can be walked. They also have the usual display model as well as some tv monitors that you can use to view the different floor plans in 2D and 3D as well as the view from every 3rd floor of the building.

I have spoken with the City of Burnaby and they have confirmed that the adjoining parcel of land (that LedMac also owns) is currently going through the rezoning process. There could be another two towers going up on this site in the future.

I also spoke with the City regarding the road realignments and closures surrounding this site. Everything seems to make sense. At least to me.

First Avenue is going to cross Gilmore and connect up with Douglas/Halifax. Douglas will be closed off where it meets Gilmore. The Halifax/Douglas intersection is being eliminated. The southwest portion of Halifax will meet Douglas at a "T" rather than a 4 way intersection. The same will happen with the south portion of Douglas where it meets Halifax. It sounds kind of confusing to read but it actually makes sense to do, imo.

I'll be following the development in this area with interest.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:23 PM

I saw a bunch of people out in lawn chairs waiting in line about 2 weeks ago. I guess those were the insiders/pre registrants that are getting first choice at the condos.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:39 PM

They did a VIP night on Friday Sep. 28th. Maybe it was for that. I received an e-mail on Oct. 7th saying they were opening the next day for people who had pre-registered. I called on the 8th to see if there was a big line-up and was told it was very quiet. I went over at around 3:30 and there were only about a half dozen other people there. Much different from the SOLO "sneak preview" which was a complete gong show that we just walked away from without even going inside.

Aviara said they were going to start writing offers this Friday (Oct. 12th). I wasn't overly impressed with the level of finishing. Little things like regular toilets instead of elongated. Acrylic shower enclosure in the 2nd bath instead of tile (although I don't mind the acrylic myself) with basic, cheap white tile around it. Plain slab doors throughout. "Wood look" vinyl covered kitchen cabinet doors. No fireplace iirc.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:43 AM

where abouts is it located? east of brentwood?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:22 PM

they already started selling through realtor insiders. The plan is for one more tower plus wood frame component at the base of the future tower that is still in the rezoning process.... This is probably the worst site in the Brentwood area... Cemetary to the north & BC Hydro power station to the west.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
where abouts is it located? east of brentwood?
Yes. It is inside a triangle of properties bounded by Halifax St. to the south, Gilmore St. to the west and Douglas St. to the north.

This puts it at the easternmost point of the Brentwood Town Centre community plan.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanK View Post
they already started selling through realtor insiders. The plan is for one more tower plus wood frame component at the base of the future tower that is still in the rezoning process.... This is probably the worst site in the Brentwood area... Cemetary to the north & BC Hydro power station to the west.
I was curious about the specific site location of the second tower so I called the City of Burnaby. They said that LedMac is actually in the rezoning process requesting approval for TWO additional towers. The City said that the wood frame component is/was also in the mix as a possibility. They actually wanted to see a 6 storey building there but the market is a bit wary after the fire that occurred at the one in Richmond during the construction phase.

If approved, the City said they envisioned the 3 towers being located at roughly each point of the property triangle. So this means that the views from Tower 1 would be severely impacted unless maybe you were located on one of the top 10 floors or so. The property slopes towards Gilmore St. so the other two towers would start lower down and the City said they would want those buildings to have less floors than Tower 1 too.

I don't think the area is that bad. The cemetery doesn't bother me (quiet neighbors, blah, blah, blah ) and if you buy a unit at about the 12 floor or higher then you get a very nice, unobstructed (for now) view towards downtown and the north shore. Gilmore skytrain is just a couple of short blocks away and Brentwood is a nice, reasonable walk along tree lined Halifax St. There is a small park across the street for walking the dog too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
I also learned that there is a proposed tower for the southeast corner of Gilmore and Halifax. This would be an even worse location imo as it would be almost directly across from the substation and would have the Grand Marquis almost directly behind it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockychocbill View Post
I also learned that there is a proposed tower for the southeast corner of Gilmore and Halifax. This would be an even worse location imo as it would be almost directly across from the substation and would have the Grand Marquis almost directly behind it.
Yes - that tower = Millennium Development - making a comeback into the market.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 6:59 PM
David

Quote:
Yes. It is inside a triangle of properties bounded by Halifax St. to the south, Gilmore St. to the west and Douglas St. to the north.

This puts it at the easternmost point of the Brentwood Town Centre community plan.
I think you mean westernmost. This development is west of Brentwood.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think you mean westernmost. This development is west of Brentwood.
Correct.

I got twisted around typing all those directions.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Aviara said they were going to start writing offers this Friday (Oct. 12th). I wasn't overly impressed with the level of finishing. Little things like regular toilets instead of elongated. Acrylic shower enclosure in the 2nd bath instead of tile (although I don't mind the acrylic myself) with basic, cheap white tile around it. Plain slab doors throughout. "Wood look" vinyl covered kitchen cabinet doors. No fireplace iirc.
I guess where they lack in 'wow' factor of the finishing they made up in prices. My realtor informed me that prices were very reasonable compared to other newer developments around the area.

Large 1 bedroom & Den (over 600 sq ft) starting from $269k
2 bedroom & 2 bath (from 770 sq ft) starting from $349k

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
This is probably the worst site in the Brentwood area... Cemetary to the north & BC Hydro power station to the west.
Hopefully with the redesign of the streets, there will be less congestion around the area. there's too many dangerous spots around that area.

Also have you tried heading south on Gilmore before Lougheed during rush hour? The one lane traffic is a nightmare. They should have a wider 2nd lane at lougheed to allow for vehicles to turn right.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:04 AM
David

The entire Brentwood area is a nightmare during rush hour. I hope the improvements associated with this project help

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:01 AM

Let's have some render as well (I think only one exists). http://www.ledmac.com/aviara/

I have seen this building being pre-advertised for so long that I actually thought it's already under construction, but apparently not. It was on the cover of the previous issue of New Condo Guide magazine. Looks good from the outside. I hope the additional towers will somehow connect with its shape.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 7:27 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I love the "Canal and Parkland" in the rendering ..... errr I mean "Road and Graveyard" ..... :S

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 6:20 PM
David

And don't forget the snow-covered mountain range (in what appears to be spring with the blooming cherry blossoms, although the trees in the "park" appear to be changing colour into Fall...) that has replaced north Burnaby and SFU! This development is really changing Burnaby for the better!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 2:09 PM

looks to be 31-32 stories, will blend right in im sure.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
I guess where they lack in 'wow' factor of the finishing they made up in prices. My realtor informed me that prices were very reasonable compared to other newer developments around the area.

Large 1 bedroom & Den (over 600 sq ft) starting from $269k
2 bedroom & 2 bath (from 770 sq ft) starting from $349k
Well, we were looking at a 942 sq. ft. 2 bedroom and den unit. The "den" was a 5'x7' alcove. Both bedrooms, including the "master" were 11'9"x10'3". Doubtful that would take a king and two night tables. That would have been $475K on the 12th floor.

So you pay close to $500K after all the dust settles for the opportunity to then spend another $5K to upgrade the toilets, cabinet doors and interior doors to what really should be builder standard quality at this price.

I know why they do it, but I really don't understand the reasoning. Why not just spend the extra $2500 in finishing and then charge another $5K for the unit? It's not like it's going to be a deal breaker for anyone looking at spending this kind of dough. It'd make the stuff much more appealing to buy imo.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Well, we were looking at a 942 sq. ft. 2 bedroom and den unit. The "den" was a 5'x7' alcove. Both bedrooms, including the "master" were 11'9"x10'3". Doubtful that would take a king and two night tables. That would have been $475K on the 12th floor.

So you pay close to $500K after all the dust settles for the opportunity to then spend another $5K to upgrade the toilets, cabinet doors and interior doors to what really should be builder standard quality at this price.

I know why they do it, but I really don't understand the reasoning. Why not just spend the extra $2500 in finishing and then charge another $5K for the unit? It's not like it's going to be a deal breaker for anyone looking at spending this kind of dough. It'd make the stuff much more appealing to buy imo.
$475,000 for a 942 sf = $504 PSF.. thats not that cheap!! That unit faces south? Any other sample prices you got from the sales office?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley