HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:02 AM

Uni sign

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:10 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

That crest... It looks remarkably different than the current one.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:15 AM
Слава Україні

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
That crest... It looks remarkably different than the current one.

Found this in google images... the best version available there (oddly enough the one from picture with the stone-carver is better)...

Which led me to a heraldic blog's reference to a Leader Post article that has since been removed, but using the wayback machine...

Quote:
New coat of arms for University of Regina

By Emma Graney, Leader-Post

REGINA — A green shield adorned with a thick band of gold, a book, two golden crowns and a wheat sheaf, the motto “As one who serves” scrolled beneath — that is what the new University of Regina coat of arms looks like.

For the first time, the coat of arms will be registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority and, come Nov. 1, it will adorn all new degrees, academic transcripts and the university’s most official documents.

The image is based on the coat of arms created in 1912, by Vincent Massey and W.W. Andrews, for Regina College.

While it’s vaguely similar to the one that has been in use by the U of R (with minor changes) since the 1960s, that coat of arms was too asymmetrical and didn’t meet the authority’s criteria — hence the redesign.

Annette Revet, executive director of university governance, said the process to formalize the design began a few years ago during the university’s centennial.

After some to and fro with the authority about the design, the board of governors approved the arms at its July meeting and today it will be presented to the university senate.

“We thought it would be good to bring it back to our historical roots,” Revet said.

“I think it’s symbolic and establishes it for future generations, because that evolution (of the coat of arms) won’t happen again.”

As for cost, the price tag to registering the artwork with the heraldic authority is $2,000, while replacing the current coat of arms stamps is expected to cost somewhere in the realm of $1,000.

When it comes to the meaning behind the design, the crowns make a reference to Regina’s nickname the Queen City, while the wheat represents Saskatchewan and the book indicates learning.

A crescent extending from the green and gold shield has traditionally been interpreted to be symbolic of growth, and an equal-limbed cross represents service and sacrifice.

The motto has been in use since 1912. It was originally taken from Luke 22:27 and was the text of the sermon at the coronation of King George V in 1911.

Although the new coat of arms will become official on Nov. 1, the university will transition to the new artwork over time, using up its current inventory of the current coat of arms before printing anything new.

The current stamps, though, will be destroyed.

-----
Link to the Wayback Machine Copy
So it looks like since the first of November, this has actually been the official "current" version. Interesting...

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

So it looks like since the first of November, this has actually been the official "current" version. Interesting...
It was officially granted on Dec 20, 2013, though it's not yet listed on the Canadian Heraldic Authority's website (it will be Vol VI, page 285).

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:43 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
While it’s vaguely similar to the one that has been in use by the U of R (with minor changes) since the 1960s, that coat of arms was too asymmetrical and didn’t meet the authority’s criteria — hence the redesign.
I'm not buying that XD I think the REAL reason is that it was somewhat similar to the UofAlberta's crest.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am pretty disappointed in the St. Paul's addition. They tried to paid homage to the original, Regina's oldest church, but it is not even close to the original.
Regina, and the rest of the world, should stop erecting these historical pastiche buildings. The addition should have been a thoroughly modern addition, something embracing 2014, not something harking back to a bygone era.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:50 AM
Closed account

Last edited by BrutallyDishonest; May 2, 2014 at 3:52 AM. Reason: Double post. Where's the delete button?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:51 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest View Post
Regina, and the rest of the world, should stop erecting these historical pastiche buildings. The addition should have been a thoroughly modern addition, something embracing 2014, not something harking back to a bygone era.
and doing it poorly.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:55 PM

http://www.disneybaby.com/blog/40-ba...world/#slide32
[B]40 Baby Names Inspired By Cities Around The World[/
]Posted by Andrea Howe

Also interesting are cities or towns that have streets or avenues named after the Queen city

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
http://www.disneybaby.com/blog/40-ba...world/#slide32
[B]40 Baby Names Inspired By Cities Around The World[/
]Posted by Andrea Howe

Also interesting are cities or towns that have streets or avenues named after the Queen city
Except they wouldn't pronounce it how we pronounce it. They would say "Ra-geena".

Any girl named Re-gyna would surely be made fun of in school.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:35 PM

Does anyone know what happening with that church on Sherwood and Avonhurst. Noticed it was boarded up and now has been demolished.

I did not know this but apparently Regina is latin for the queen. I used to have to do customer support to the US. I would say Regeena because if I said Regina, people would pause on the on the end thinking I had said the other word. I would also say we are located north of North Dakota instead of saying Saskatchewan and I can't say Zeee, I have to say Zed to americans.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:41 PM

Also, there is a Regina located in Montana, and another Regina located in South Africa.

(Yah, yah, . . . I need to get out. Lol!!!)

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:55 PM

There are street names in Ottawa ,London , Regina ave Victoria , and in Waterloo , among many others

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Also, there is a Regina located in Montana, and another Regina located in South Africa.

(Yah, yah, . . . I need to get out. Lol!!!)
Regina New Mexico, Regina Kentucky.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Does anyone know what happening with that church on Sherwood and Avonhurst. Noticed it was boarded up and now has been demolished.

I did not know this but apparently Regina is latin for the queen. I used to have to do customer support to the US. I would say Regeena because if I said Regina, people would pause on the on the end thinking I had said the other word. I would also say we are located north of North Dakota instead of saying Saskatchewan and I can't say Zeee, I have to say Zed to americans.
jw6969 ...I talk to Americans all day, every day and have for 7 years. We do not say Re-geena nor do they pause or laugh when we say Re-gyna. A lot of Americans know of Saskatchewan, and often I hear people tell me they have been to our city. For those that have no clue where we are, I tell them that we are 90 mile north of north-eastern Montana (2/3 of Saskatchewan borders Montana. Just 1/3 borders North Dakota). And of course, you just learn to say Zee instead of Zed. I say Zee all the time regardless if it is an American or a Canuck I am talking with.
Anyway, this is all off topic, but yes, Regina is Latin for Queen. It is also the Italian word for Queen. Rex is Latin for King. Friday Fun Facts

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:31 PM

I believe it is a townhouse development going on the church property at Avonhurst.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post

http://www.avonhurstheights.com/

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:45 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
jw6969 ...I talk to Americans all day, every day and have for 7 years. We do not say Re-geena nor do they pause or laugh when we say Re-gyna. A lot of Americans know of Saskatchewan, and often I hear people tell me they have been to our city. For those that have no clue where we are, I tell them that we are 90 mile north of north-eastern Montana (2/3 of Saskatchewan borders Montana. Just 1/3 borders North Dakota). And of course, you just learn to say Zee instead of Zed. I say Zee all the time regardless if it is an American or a Canuck I am talking with.
Anyway, this is all off topic, but yes, Regina is Latin for Queen. It is also the Italian word for Queen. Rex is Latin for King. Friday Fun Facts
Boo, don't give in. "Zee" is lame. Sorry, just a pet-peeve of mine haha.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Boo, don't give in. "Zee" is lame. Sorry, just a pet-peeve of mine haha.
Okay, you win! I'll go listen to my Zed Zed Top cd now

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:55 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Okay, you win! I'll go listen to my Zed Zed Top cd now
Well, that's a name. Jay-Zed just sounds weird. Then again, I used to drive a Cavalier Zed-24, not a Zee-24. Ugh, English is too complicated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan