HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Love it 66 56.90%
Like it 43 37.07%
List it 7 6.03%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Given all the activity in this area of town, I have always thought that if the Armorey were decommissioned, that it would make a fabulous podium to a residential and/or hotel tower!
True. Especially as the centre is a large open area, so the foundation work could happen with much of the perimeter undisturbed.

That being said, heritage status is pretty high with that building, if I recall correctly. Would be difficult to do.

EG:

Via http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/20.../2004indoc.htm

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:09 AM

The Armoury would make a great farmers' market. If/when West Village (the area around Greyhound etc, not these towers) gets redeveloped it could really be a hub of activity.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:32 AM

I love it. The towers are sleek and modern. Very excited to see these go up.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:06 AM

So the first phase which is starting first is actually even taller than Guardian? Wow, the title of Calgary's tallest residential tower is really switching hands pretty quickly these days

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Given all the activity in this area of town, I have always thought that if the Armorey were decommissioned, that it would make a fabulous podium to a residential and/or hotel tower!
You know what would make a great podium for a tower: the giant parking lot fronting 9th ave south of the armoury. Dress it up how you want, but that parking lot is due (and deserves) to meet it's maker long before the armoury ever does.

I do realize the strange irony where that parking lot may have been built by people still alive. I stand by my point

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:17 AM

Wow.... Hope these 3 possibly 2 towers move forward! Maybe they listened to the forum... build two buildings with a little more height and drop the third one! Only a little refinement on these, i do like shapes and the proportions ( height to width ). Tall and slender!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Wow.... Hope these 3 possibly 2 towers move forward! Maybe they listened to the forum... build two buildings with a little more height and drop the third one! Only a little refinement on these, i do like shapes and the proportions ( height to width ). Tall and slender!
Meh in my opinion. Nothing spectacular and the street presence along 9th is horrible.

I think mid rise is more suitable for this site.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorshow View Post
Meh in my opinion. Nothing spectacular and the street presence along 9th is horrible.

Based on what exactly?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:54 PM
Master and Commander

Can somebody send an email to Intergulf Cidex to release these in higher resolution renderings now that it is public knowledge.. These look sweet and we can make out even more features if the quality was a bit higher..
I am tempted to make one of these my ssp nerd background wallpaper on my computer. Another 500 footer yes please!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:59 PM
ARTchitecture

The city has recommended changes to the 9th Avenue frontage, so we may still see significant improvement with that yet.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:59 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
Based on what exactly?
These are just my opinions but...

First, I believe this is pretty much the "gateway" to downtown from the west along ninth and there is opportunity to create more of a of friendly, walkable, environment which a connection to shaw millenium park, continuing to the river along 11th.

Second, I don't think you should approach downtown and go from a park and low rise buildings to tall towers. Their should be a gradual rise.

Third, the current design does nothing for 9th avenue in terms of contributing to a pedestrian environment.

But hey? As long as you contribute to the skyline you can forego the whole ground floor, public and pedestrian environment right?

Once again, these are just my opinions

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Lots of new mid-rise coming to places like Bridgeland and Kensington. The land values and ARP's in the city centre ensure only high-rise throughout on any decent sized lot.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:

First, I believe this is pretty much the "gateway" to downtown from the west along ninth and there is opportunity to create more of a of friendly, walkable, environment which a connection to shaw millenium park, continuing to the river along 11th.

Second, I don't think you should approach downtown and go from a park and low rise buildings to tall towers. Their should be a gradual rise.

Third, the current design does nothing for 9th avenue in terms of contributing to a pedestrian environment.

But hey? As long as you contribute to the skyline you can forego the whole ground floor, public and pedestrian environment right?

I think in the long term the West Village redevelopment along with whatever developments go along there will help create more of a cascading effect particularly as you head into downtown

Agree that the renders appear that the interaction along 9th Ave at the street level look less desirable but hopefully, as Chad said, the City will help get some of that changed

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:06 PM
I am the law!

Gimmicky tower design. Should fit well in the West Village. 3/10

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:

I agree with your opinion, mainly in that development the West End should focus on ways to optimize assets that make it liveable. However, as one of Calgary's highest-density and most fully-serviced communities, I think the West End should take on all the population it can handle while continuing to integrate participation with Millennium Park, the Bow River, 8th Ave, 11th St, 8th St, the old Science Centre (whatever may become of it), the armoury, access to Kensington, etc. Even 10th St feels like it has potential to one day become a pleasant residential-retail corridor with its double row of trees, fledgling retailers, and annual block party. I see more people walking their tiny dogs there all the time. The West End also can do more to take advantage of its position as the natural terminus for various parades in the city. Also, IIRC the West End was the final destination of the most famous visitor to ever set hoof in our city:
The May 13, 2010 Moose. If fact, I believe he was finally cornered in the CIDEX site! Deserves a statue to commemorate it, don't you think?

In addition to casting a bronze moose statue, here are some improvements I'd like to see in the West End:
1) Reduce 5th Ave b/w 11th and 9th st from 5 to 2 or 3 traffic lanes. Only 2 lanes feed into it anyway! Create pedestrian bulbs and/or street parking with a double row of trees. Save room for a future separated bike way. There's plenty of room.
2) Improve the sidewalk at the north end of 10th St. Currently, it kind of just tapers away, inviting everyone walking between Kerby Station and Kensington to wander through the dusty lot behind Avatamsaka or j-walk to the river pathway.
3) Conceive an ultimate plan for what 9th St will look like once 201 is underground.
4) Currently the area has some of the worst sidewalks in the city. I don't remember the details in their ARP, but due to the dense population goals and high traffic in the West End, I think the area should pursue an aggressively high standard of sidewalks in the city. Double row of trees and nearly ubiquitous street retail. This comes with the caveat that we must allow maximum densities (in accordance with shadow bylaws) to support retail.

My main critique of CIDEX is also the apparent lack of street-level interaction, at least on the south side. Overall, I think the more people live Downtown the better, and anything's better than a parking lot. Personally, I like the crown feature. It kind of looks like if Neura and Ovation had a baby. This is probably one of the best sites in town for this kind of development.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:26 PM

Don't forget that one day the West Village will develop, inevitably affecting traffic patterns, connectivity, consumer patterns, and even wide angle aesthetic of the West End of Downtown. I don't know when that will be, but either (a) when a stadium moves in (something I fear will be terribly executed, stagnating the area from reaching its true potential for another half century), or (b) when availability of land in the EV, Victoria Park, and Eau Claire dries up, putting a premium on large, high-density developable lots - Something that probably won't happen until 2025-2030, but surely WILL happen.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The city has recommended changes to the 9th Avenue frontage, so we may still see significant improvement with that yet.
I'd be thrilled to see one or two urban-format big box stores in the podium there, but there are a couple of problems... namely, unlike RIOCan in EV or First South or Erlton, this part of 9th Ave gets relatively little traffic at 5 pm when folks are heading home from Downtown. Still, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker. Maybe they could lure the Staples from across the street?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:06 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

These are close to Stella/Nova/Luna and Vantage Pointe, all tall towers. Height isn't out of context. Just across the tracks.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:13 PM

I think just about anything is better than what's currently there. And I can't wait to see the demise of those car dealerships too. That can't happen soon enough!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:48 PM
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Gimmicky tower design. Should fit well in the West Village. 3/10
Why do you even post in this section if you never contribute anything of value?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates