HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 4:57 PM

250 Taylor & Hyatt Unbound | 130'-0" & 245'-6" | 10 & 21 floors | Completed & Dead

From this week's metro reports. A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled for the following:

Quote:
Joint development of boutique hotel (19-21 stories) and creative office space including the Temple building with below grade parking 43-100 spaces.
Site is 930 SW 3rd Ave. Applicants are Ankrom Moisan.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Feb 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:28 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow! ANOTHER hotel? I'm glad we're seeing hotels built, and if 930 SW 3rd means the quarter block at 3rd & Taylor, that would be fantastic news. This, along with the other upcoming hotel to be built across the street, will totally transform this part of downtown. But I can't help thinking we're seeing the overbuilding of hotels. I'm blown away by how many are coming. It seems like there's a new one announced every few weeks.

I assume this doesn't include the pair of old buildings including the Lotus and the building next to it on 3rd. Am I right? I'd hate to see those go, though the Lotus building is in really rough shape.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:54 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
From this week's metro reports. A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled for the following:

Site is 930 SW 3rd Ave. Applicants are Ankrom Moisan.
Including the Temple Building? Does that mean renovate or tear down?

Though I will say it is funny to hear about this development because it was seriously last week that I was commenting to my wife that I am surprised that Good Earth Cafe building is still there because it would be such a good site for a new development.

Also good to see more developers jumping on this hotel boom we are having, it will eventually have a bust in the future, but we will get a ton of hotel rooms out of it to handle our growing tourism industry.

I also wonder how long it will be before something finally goes up on that vacant lot across the street from this site....

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:11 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I also wonder how long it will be before something finally goes up on that vacant lot across the street from this site....
That vacant lot is the site of another hotel that's on the way. There are so many... I keep forgetting the names.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That vacant lot is the site of another hotel that's on the way. There are so many... I keep forgetting the names.
Yea a Marriott is going there

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:18 PM

The entire block, with the exception of the Auditorium & Music Hall building, appears to be under the same ownership. That building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, so won't be going anywhere.

The allowable heights on the block are split. On the north half the allowable height is 130', though also eligible for housing and general height bonuses. On the south half the allowable height is 350' outright.

Quote:
At 3rd & Taylor? The AC by Marriott will probably be under construction in the next few months.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:19 PM

It would take Balls to tear down any one of those three buildings (minus the good earth). All three are classic PDX buildings. Some of the best in Portland. I have to assume the temple building will be incorporated into the project.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
The entire block, with the exception of the Auditorium & Music Hall building, appears to be under the same ownership. That building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, so won't be going anywhere.

The allowable heights on the block are split. On the north half the allowable height is 130', though also eligible for housing and general height bonuses. On the south half the allowable height is 350' outright.
That's... sort of fascinating. The southwest corner of the block has the old Lotus building, which I'd hate to see lost, though the southeast corner has a surface parking lot that I'd love to see lost. The northeast corner has this magnificent building which desperately needs some loving care. But the northwest corner is a pair of one story buildings that would be great to replace. In a perfect world, they'd build on the NW and SE corners of the block and leave the trio of old buildings on the other two corners - to be rehabbed. But how likely is that?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:16 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That's... sort of fascinating. The southwest corner of the block has the old Lotus building, which I'd hate to see lost, though the southeast corner has a surface parking lot that I'd love to see lost. The northeast corner has this magnificent building which desperately needs some loving care. But the northwest corner is a pair of one story buildings that would be great to replace. In a perfect world, they'd build on the NW and SE corners of the block and leave the trio of old buildings on the other two corners - to be rehabbed. But how likely is that?
Very likely. In fact, that "magnificent" building IS the Temple Building. That's the one they're converting to creative offices and the Good Earth corner will be the hotel tower. That's the ideal scenario for the northern half of that block.

Also, since the same owners own the southern half, it could very likely be a similar outcome there as well.... rehab the Lotus and build on the quarter block parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:41 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

65MAX, I hope you're right. Rehabbing the trio of old buildings and building new on the other two corners of the block would be the best possible outcome. And having two hotels directly across the street from each other on that corner of 3rd & Taylor would do wonderful things for this part of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:44 PM

I've always thought the upper floors of the Lotus building would make for a fantastic youth hostel. Also, the Workmen's Temple building is one of my favorite in town.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:46 PM
A before E

Quote:

At 3rd & Taylor? The AC by Marriott will probably be under construction in the next few months.
Being a registered historic place doesn't mean that much, just makes it a bit harder to tear down, though I do hope this means they plan on saving the building and just transferring the FAR to the quarter block.

Good to hear that other lot is going to be a hotel, but I thought the Marriott was going in at 2nd and Jefferson....does that mean that part of downtown will be getting 3 new hotels? That is just crazy....and might actually help off hour activity in that part of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
I've always thought the upper floors of the Lotus building would make for a fantastic youth hostel. Also, the Workmen's Temple building is one of my favorite in town.
Currently those upper floors of the Lotus are marked as unsafe, that building is in need of a gut renovation basically.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Being a registered historic place doesn't mean that much, just makes it a bit harder to tear down, though I do hope this means they plan on saving the building and just transferring the FAR to the quarter block.
In this case "harder" means a Type IV Demolition Review where the initial decision is made the City Council. With the exception of the reservoirs, the City Council has only approved one demolition (the Dirty Duck tavern) since the current code was adopted. In that case the only reason they even approved it is because the benefit of having Blanchet House built was seen as so great it outweighed the loss of the resource.

Quote:
Good to hear that other lot is going to be a hotel, but I thought the Marriott was going in at 2nd and Jefferson....does that mean that part of downtown will be getting 3 new hotels? That is just crazy....and might actually help off hour activity in that part of downtown.
2nd & Jefferson is the Porter Hotel.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:56 PM
A before E

Quote:
In this case "harder" means a Type IV Demolition Review where the initial decision is made the City Council. With the exception of the reservoirs, the City Council has only approved one demolition (the Dirty Duck tavern) since the current code was adopted. In that case the only reason they even approved it is because the benefit of having Blanchet House built was seen as so great it outweighed the loss of the resource.
That is true, but if I am not mistaken the building has some serious deterioration issues and I could see a developer arguing that the cost of renovation would be too high for the structure. I hope it doesn't get torn down, but if the developer owns the two quarter lots on each side and wants to also build an underground garage, tearing down the building and developing the full three quarter block is what would make the most sense form someone.

That would be my biggest concern with this, especially seeing that building has been sitting vacant and unrenovated for so long. It makes me question the fate of that building.

Quote:
2nd & Jefferson is the Porter Hotel
Oh okay, that one is a Hilton Hotel, that is pretty impressive, we will be getting a Hilton, Marriott, and a boutique hotel all within that fairly dead part of downtown. That should do wonders for that area.

Last edited by urbanlife; Aug 24, 2015 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:19 PM

The Temple building is full of heavy timbers and exposed red brick. The thing moneyed tech firms are tripping over themselves to pay big bucks for. We're seeing hardcore renovations happening all over town on these very old brickers. I've long been surprised that the Temple building was left out of the frenzy. I'd be extremely surprised to see a developer waste such a "creative office" opportunity. That thing is creative office gold.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:29 PM

Can anyone post a pic of the Temple Bldg? I've tried to Google it and don't come up with which building it is.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:34 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Can anyone post a pic of the Temple Bldg? I've tried to Google it and don't come up with which building it is.
It's this building.

Google Streetview.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:49 PM
BANNED

So say this building is on the high end at 21 stories, will it be visible from the standard Portland skyline pictures looking from the East Side? I ask this because this location is pretty dense from tall buildings

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:54 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
So say this building is on the high end at 21 stories, will it be visible from the standard Portland skyline pictures looking from the East Side? I ask this because this location is pretty dense from tall buildings
Probably not. But it would be excellent infill. To check, all you have to do is go to Google streetview somewhere along the river in SE and look across.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland