HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1919 Market in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:02 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I actually like this building. Do I wish it was taller, of course. I also wish it had something special on the crown. Either way, I still like it. I think the texture of the building is cool, the fact that it still adds to a dense, canyon feel at street level is cool, and I like the color.

The people who complain about the height, and location, are nothing more than NIMCS!!

Hear that! You NIMCS! (Not In My City Skyline!)

You heard it here first! hehe

BTW, boxbot, I really enjoy the comments you (and some others) put out there. It takes the edge off of conversations that may be getting a little tense, and often they still actually mean something. Sometimes I actually do laugh out loud at them.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
The people who complain about the height, and location, are nothing more than NIMCS!!

Hear that! You NIMCS! (Not In My City Skyline!)

You heard it here first! hehe
I think you got that a bit backwards. They're YIMCS--YES in My City Skyline! The problem they have with this building is that it's NOT.

Take THAT, you YIMCS hater!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:20 PM

Another thing to appreciate about this building, incidentally, is that it turned out NOT to be THIS:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 1:09 AM

if the market for apartments keeps on keeping on maybe someone will start a rumor that this building that shall not be named is going to have a 20 story addition to its top. That would be fun to kick around for a few days.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
if the market for apartments keeps on keeping on maybe someone will start a rumor that this building that shall not be named is going to have a 20 story addition to its top. That would be fun to kick around for a few days.
There's also a low rise building right across the street just begging for an addition.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Another thing to appreciate about this building, incidentally, is that it turned out NOT to be THIS:

I like the original design better. It wouldn't have been much shorter and it would have been much more dense as the building takes up the whole parcel.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 2:27 AM

Scene of the crime, circa 1981

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post

Scene of the crime, circa 1981
I guess you got into the Hidden City post. I want to see the other 100 pictures!

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:47 PM

I walked around this site this weekend and am very underwhelmed. The optimist view around these parts is to say this tower, despite it's lack of height, does improve the street level experience. That might be the case if not for the the fact that this tower only takes up about half of the lot; the remaining lot is a 3 or 4 story garage. It's not just diminutive by height, but also in girth. Even looking past this building's boring architecture and measly height, this building is still a giant fail. I agree with PHL10 in that the originally designed tower (which occupied the entire lot) would have been a better outcome than the building we have today.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I walked around this site this weekend and am very underwhelmed. The optimist view around these parts is to say this tower, despite it's lack of height, does improve the street level experience. That might be the case if not for the the fact that this tower only takes up about half of the lot; the remaining lot is a 3 or 4 story garage. It's not just diminutive by height, but also in girth. Even looking past this building's boring architecture and measly height, this building is still a giant fail. I agree with PHL10 in that the originally designed tower (which occupied the entire lot) would have been a better outcome than the building we have today.
100% agree, but there's not much left to say. I just grimace every time I (barely) see it. It's the revenge of the Penn Center Inn, turned 90 degrees.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I completely agree. It deliberately looks taller and hides most of the garage in renderings, a tactic we all probably expected. In addition to the dullness of the building and its lack of engagement with anything but Market Street, it also looks cheap IMO. I'm really looking forward to what Inga has to say about it, if she even bothers. To me, this is just skyscrapering-ish (and unfortunately, parking) infill. This might be a "good" building if it were in Richmond, VA.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I completely agree. It deliberately looks taller and hides most of the garage in renderings, a tactic we all probably expected. In addition to the dullness of the building and its lack of engagement with anything but Market Street, it also looks cheap IMO. I'm really looking forward to what Inga has to say about it, if she even bothers. To me, this is just skyscrapering-ish (and unfortunately, parking) infill. This might be a "good" building if it were in Richmond, VA.
It looks like Richmond's "newer" city hall

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
It looks like Richmond's "newer" city hall

OMG that must have been what made me think of it. For some reason every time I look at 1919 Market I think of Richmond. Now I know why.

FWIW, I think Richmond's City Hall is a pretty cool example of midcentury modern architecture. I'd rather have that at 1919 Market.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:42 AM

5/17/16

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 7:28 PM

Spotted a huge crane lifting grass and soil on the rooftop.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 1:42 AM

Came across this. Adds a little to the canyon effect. I like it. The city has plenty of space for taller buildings.

Streets of Philadelphia by SONICGREGU

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jun 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:46 AM

6/15/16

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:35 AM

7/12/2016

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:41 PM
BANNED

are they building a courtyard between this building and the IBC building?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
are they building a courtyard between this building and the IBC building?
Yes. There was an existing courtyard there before the project started, but was closed once construction started.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive