HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 7:45 PM

"Liberal" Druh is being roasted in the comments section of an article, again. This city if full of some thick people, really!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:52 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post

"Liberal" Druh is being roasted in the comments section of an article, again. This city if full of some thick people, really!
Actually, once again the Herald has pulled that article off their website. What is with that, it happened a week or so ago to another article.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 2:24 AM
Round Head

Calgary bicycling review won't sidetrack improvements

By Kim Guttormson, Calgary HeraldMarch 8, 2010 5:12 PM

CALGARY - The city is moving ahead on a comprehensive cycling strategy, but council was told that it shouldn’t delay any improvements to riding already in the works.

At least one cycling group was concerned that hopes for adding a bike lane to 5th and 6th Avenues through downtown would be put on hold if council revisited how to better incorporate bikes.

The strategy, asked for by Aldermen Druh Farrell, Bob Hawkesworth, Joe Ceci and Brian Pincott, will provide a framework for the timing and cost of making improvements to bike routes, including making it easier to cycle all around the city and not just commuting into downtown.

It also asks for a safety review of the city’s multi-use pathway system, where three people died last year.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ca...#ixzz0hdscJfsz

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 5:41 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
The new War Memorial designed by Marc Boutin uses a Cor-Ten steel for both the monument and a significant widening and realignment of the pathway around and under the Louise Bridge into Kensington. It also looks like, in the process of building the new War Memorial that the entire chaotic alignment of paths around the Memorial Drive, 10th Street intersection will be redone.

Pics on Marc Boutin's web site.

http://www.the-mbac.ca/site.html
Thats an awesome website! Makes me want to go back to school and take architecture. Thanks for sharing that!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 10:45 PM
dvdktn

Emerald Necklace

I like the idea of this project, but it really doesn't connect well to any other existing bike routes. It would be nice if this pathway could somehow be connected to the second phase of the riverwalk pathway on the eastside of the stampede grounds.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:43 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post

I like the idea of this project, but it really doesn't connect well to any other existing bike routes. It would be nice if this pathway could somehow be connected to the second phase of the riverwalk pathway on the eastside of the stampede grounds.
Yes, this will be a great project with more space for trees + greenery. That image reminds me of west vancouver. The rendering is only a concept though. The actual drawings are quite different I believe.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yes, this will be a great project with more space for trees + greenery. That image reminds me of west vancouver. The rendering is only a concept though. The actual drawings are quite different I believe.
where in West Vancouver? Something we can see in Google StreetView?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 10:51 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=c...12,270.55,,0,5

As you can see people don't understand the concept of a bike lane in Calgary. People always treat this road like the bike lane doesn't exist. I've been honked at a few times on this road by old rednecks that can't grasp the concept.
There is no bike lane on 10th avenue. There is a sign telling people to share the road and a painted picture of a bike on the road itself. It is terrible. Calgary needs to understand what an actual bike lane is. Separated by a curb, or with differential paving. That is a bike lane. What is on 10th Avenue is just a sign.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 2:23 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
There is no bike lane on 10th avenue. There is a sign telling people to share the road and a painted picture of a bike on the road itself. It is terrible. Calgary needs to understand what an actual bike lane is. Separated by a curb, or with differential paving. That is a bike lane. What is on 10th Avenue is just a sign.
The signs on the road don't mean it's exclusive to bikes. Cars can still pass slow moving vehicles. Cars shouldn't treat that part of the road as a lane of their own. Which is what a lot of people do.

10th Ave would be perfect for a legitimate bike "lane." Like I said before they should have a lane that compares more to this:
Pacific BLVD, Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 2:34 AM
dvdktn

I can't wait for this to be done.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 3:21 AM

Quote:

10th Ave would be perfect for a legitimate bike "lane." Like I said before they should have a lane that compares more to this:
Pacific BLVD, Vancouver
That might have been a good idea, at least keeps all the concrete together, more space for pedestrians and greenery. Although alot of cyclists prefer the off-road approach.

That pacific blvd is the one with the random sidewalk in the middle. Whats the deal with that? im guessing some sort of place-holder for a future street car or something?

I cant imagine anyone walking on it. Why would you?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 3:22 AM

Quote:

I can't wait for this to be done.
Thats going to be some of the nicest waterfront in the city when its done. I cycled through there a few weeks ago. oh baby, i can't wait

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:15 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
That might have been a good idea, at least keeps all the concrete together, more space for pedestrians and greenery. Although alot of cyclists prefer the off-road approach.

That pacific blvd is the one with the random sidewalk in the middle. Whats the deal with that? im guessing some sort of place-holder for a future street car or something?

I cant imagine anyone walking on it. Why would you?
Ya that sidewalk in the median makes no sense. I was wondering about that as well. For all those people who want to walk a block in the middle of a busy road?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 4:42 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Calgary needs to understand what an actual bike lane is. Separated by a curb, or with differential paving. That is a bike lane. What is on 10th Avenue is just a sign.
In that case, Calgary's next mayor can form a class with London's mayor.

Quote:
London's Mayor 'Can Cut Cycle Deaths And Get More On Road'

15 March 2010

Evening Standard
Miranda Bryant

Boris Johnson must do more to stop cyclists being killed to encourage greater numbers onto London's roads, according to Dutch experts.

Bike fatalities were cut by 54 per cent in the Netherlands between 1980 and 2001 as a result of road policies.

Roelof Wittink, who helped devise Amsterdam's cycle network, believes safety is the “biggest barrier” to Londoners using bikes because they are too scared.

Complete Article
Although there is a big push to make London cycle-friendly and get more people cycling, due to a lack of proper infrastructure cycling in London is almost as dangerous, if not more so, than cycling on-street in Calgary. While there are cycle lanes, they are not grade separated and are very patchy. I would love to cycle into the city but I'm way too scared. By this summer both where I'm living now and where I'm moving to tomorrow will be connected to Central London via the CS7. The Cycle Superhighways sound cool but I'm not overly convinced of their safety. As such, I highly recommend that Calgary goes with grade separated or barrier separated cycle lanes. It may be more expensive but if you're going to do it, do it right as lives will be at stake.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 4:55 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
In that case, Calgary's next mayor can form a class with London's mayor.
Everyone can take a page out the the Dutch book on cycling infrastructure. My relatives are there and I spent a few weeks traveling around Amsterdam, Rotterdam and small towns like Zierikzee, Goes and Middleburg. The cycling infrastructure throughout the Netherlands is amazing. Almost all cycling paths are grade separated from traffic and in many places cyclists have their own signals for traffic. There are actually more kilometres of cycle paths in the Netherlands than roads (IIRC). Every little town centre is packed full of bicycles, and nearly everyone cycles almost everywhere, including omas and opas (grandmothers and grandfathers). It is so successful that there is a bicycle parkade at Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Here is a link to the google streetview (you have to move around the viewfinder a bit, but look across the canal and you will see it. Yes it is a multi-storey parkade for bicycles).

Link

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:09 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
Everyone can take a page out the the Dutch book on cycling infrastructure. My relatives are there and I spent a few weeks traveling around Amsterdam, Rotterdam and small towns like Zierikzee, Goes and Middleburg. The cycling infrastructure throughout the Netherlands is amazing. Almost all cycling paths are grade separated from traffic and in many places cyclists have their own signals for traffic. There are actually more kilometres of cycle paths in the Netherlands than roads (IIRC). Every little town centre is packed full of bicycles, and nearly everyone cycles almost everywhere, including omas and opas (grandmothers and grandfathers). It is so successful that there is a bicycle parkade at Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Here is a link to the google streetview (you have to move around the viewfinder a bit, but look across the canal and you will see it. Yes it is a multi-storey parkade for bicycles).

Link
I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam as we speak. I would like to see Copenhagen, but Denmark is pretty pricey. The Danes are leading the way with cycling along with the Dutch. In Copenhagen they have blue lanes at major intersections and even their own lights for cyclist. They spend a significant amount on cycling infrastructure in Europe. It's still a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on fancy ring roads and things. The density and tax systems in European municipalities really makes the difference though.

Intersection in Copenhagen

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

fusilli, this is all fine in a city with no snow. And unbelievably high population density. You cannot compare the Netherlands, the absolute global platinum standard for cycling infrastructure, with Calgary or even Portland. And speaking of Portland, there are many miles of bike lanes in that city that ARE nothing but painted lines, precisely like what we have now on 10th Ave SW (and there ARE lanes there, not on all stretches, but there are LANES and not just a sign and a graphic of a bike on the asphalt) and even more clearly on 11 St SW.

To say that painted lines don't constitute "lanes" is silly. They do for cars.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:39 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
fusilli, this is all fine in a city with no snow. And unbelievably high population density. You cannot compare the Netherlands, the absolute global platinum standard for cycling infrastructure, with Calgary or even Portland. And speaking of Portland, there are many miles of bike lanes in that city that ARE nothing but painted lines, precisely like what we have now on 10th Ave SW (and there ARE lanes there, not on all stretches, but there are LANES and not just a sign and a graphic of a bike on the asphalt) and even more clearly on 11 St SW.

For sure. I am not saying that we should have the same level of cycling infrastructure as the Netherlands, but we can take some lessons from them. We actually do have great cycling infrastructure, especially in terms of the Bow and Elbow river pathway systems, which I cycle around once a week. But our downtown really needs high quality infrastructure because the potential for conflict between cyclists and cars is so much higher due to the higher traffic volumes and the presence of so many one ways. A dedicated east-west bike lane with a curb separation on either 5th avenue or 6th avenue is a must. Calgary will never be the Netherlands in terms of cycling infrastructure, but our downtown should at least be slightly comparable.

And painted lines may constitute sufficient separation for cars, but it all depends on context. Vehicles are large, easy to see and collisions are rarely fatal or cause serious injury at low speeds, so a small collision due to the lower level of separation has little risk. Cyclists, on the other hand, are sometimes hard to see and cyclist-vehicle collisions have a much higher potential for serious injury or fatality, even at low speeds. A curb separating the two provides a needed reduction in potential collisions. That is not to say that every bicycle lane needs a curb separation, but on higher speed roads, and especially on one ways, they are essential.

It is the same reason why we have large medians on high speed highways (like Deerfoot). A head on collision on a 50km secondary road has a much lower potential for fatality than on the Deerfoot, and as such, painted lines are sufficient. Painted lines separating opposing traffic would be horrendous on a road like Deerfoot. It is all about the context. One way streets absolutely have to have a curb separating traffic. And 10th avenue needs not just painted lines, but a painted lane, as most drivers would just assume the line is a line separating vehicle traffic. Paint it red or something.

Trust me, even someone passing you close at 50km/hour or more when you are cycling is really scary, and can easily result in serious injury.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:41 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

11th St SW is a good start, although taxis and busses always park in the middle of the lane in front of Mewatta. I was headed north on 11th ST @ 10th Ave waiting at the red light. Some lady was turning East on 10th and she literally stopped three inches behind me and yelled out the window "move up on the sidewalk you idiot!" That was a while back. I don't think the lines where painted then, but still. Crazy.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:53 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
. Some lady was turning East on 10th and she literally stopped three inches behind me and yelled out the window "move up on the sidewalk you idiot!"
Some people. She should have to retake her drivers test and learn that bicycles are vehicles and are supposed to ride in the street. Would she say the same thing to a motorcycle? I would have flipped her the bird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates