HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:22 AM

[QUOTE=Mojeda101;7873040]With a Vans flagship, and a Jordans flagship opening up on Broadway it'll literally be the hotspot for shoes.

Here's an update

DSC_0499_Fotor by mojeda101, on Flickr

The vertical white lines on Metropolis are just terrible. Why do they not go the entire way across!?! Totally should have left them out of the design.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:39 AM

[QUOTE=bhunsberger;7873642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
With a Vans flagship, and a Jordans flagship opening up on Broadway it'll literally be the hotspot for shoes.

Here's an update

DSC_0499_Fotor by mojeda101, on Flickr

The vertical white lines on Metropolis are just terrible. Why do they not go the entire way across!?! Totally should have left them out of the design.
Disagree...it might not be wow to some, but definitely not terrible. Personally it's just somewhat cool/interesting.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Disagree...it might not be wow to some, but definitely not terrible. Personally it's just somewhat cool/interesting.
now that you mention it....& after attempting to imagine those same bldgs with just a plain, mono color glass surface....it does make the metopolis towers more interesting.

Thanks to mojeda for adding another photo update.

I posted recently about how much I'd like to see the taco house #1 on Hill st closed & replaced with the proposed beacon apt tower proj.....that has yet to happen. Opposition to that tower at 4th & Hill from the owner of a bldg on broadway to the east of the site makes me quite annoyed.

but is another long overdue change starting to occur on another site in dtla where I've long wanted to see current bldgs sold & torn down?...

the window of the indigo hotel overlooks the bldg where healthcare partners has long operated one of its offices.....

Video Link

Quote:
Health Care Partners Medical Group

Yelpers report this location has closed.
Find a similar spot.
Health Care Partners Medical Group

929 Georgia Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Downtown
Get Directions
Phone number (213) 488-0041

Quote:
Trio of towers unveiled for Downtown Los Angeles
Dan Howarth | 31 December 2016

The Olympia. (Rendering courtesy of City Century)

Architecture firms Skidmore Owings and Merrill and P-A-T-T-E-R-N-S have designed three residential skyscrapers that will add to the growing Los Angeles skyline. The Olympia development will include a trio of connected high-rises, public shopping and dining spaces, and outdoor areas in LA's South Park neighbourhood – at the junction of Olympic Boulevard and Harbor Freeway. The towers will accommodate 1,367 residential units, with generous balconies and communal terraces forming a layered effect up the facades.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 AM

That's Great! Los Angeles has beautiful buildings. This is a wonderful City. Thank you for bringing these photos to us!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:42 AM

Some shots I took with my phone.

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 6:34 PM

[QUOTE=Mojeda101;7873789]Some shots I took with my phone.

Where was this taken? I would love to view the skyline from here. Also, anyone know of any rooftops/garages that offer great views of DTLA? If you know of a great viewing place from the south, that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Also, you can't upload photos here? I have to upload to flickr?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:24 AM

The parking structure on top of The Row, in the industrial district.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
The parking structure on top of The Row, in the industrial district.
No, this is somewhere in Koreatown. The Vermont?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
It was taken on top of The Vermont. Skyline views of DT can be seen on Tipsy Bartender and it's on the very same location. Also, hint: Nearby buildings down below (the church and the apartment building next to the church).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:21 AM

[QUOTE=bhunsberger;7874182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Some shots I took with my phone.

Where was this taken? I would love to view the skyline from here. Also, anyone know of any rooftops/garages that offer great views of DTLA? If you know of a great viewing place from the south, that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Also, you can't upload photos here? I have to upload to flickr?
The most awesome view of DTLA is from the lookout at the top of Kenneth Hahn State Park.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
It was taken on top of The Vermont. Skyline views of DT can be seen on Tipsy Bartender and it's on the very same location. Also, hint: Nearby buildings down below (the church and the apartment building next to the church).
Could it have been taken at the Wilshire State Bank? When I use Google Earth 3D Buildings from the top of the Vermont, the buildings don't quite line up *EXACTLY* like the photo. Either way, is the Vermont public? Also, tried searching for the Tipsy Bartender and couldn't find anything on it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I was responding to the request for a recommendation of a parking garage with a good downtown view.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Could it have been taken at the Wilshire State Bank? When I use Google Earth 3D Buildings from the top of the Vermont, the buildings don't quite line up *EXACTLY* like the photo. Either way, is the Vermont public? Also, tried searching for the Tipsy Bartender and couldn't find anything on it.
Bingo. Wilshire State Bank. Right next to the Vermont. Security kicked me out after only being 5 minutes on the top. The Vermont unfortunately isn't public.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
I was responding to the request for a recommendation of a parking garage with a good downtown view.
Do you have the address or coordinates to the garage you are talking about? Also, any other places that arent too well known with a great view would be awesome as well.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:20 PM

How do you post photos? I tried several times. I am obviously a bit confused.

Last edited by bhunsberger; Jul 25, 2017 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:56 PM

https://la.eater.com/2017/5/12/15624...-photos-inside

the new rossoblu restaurant in DTLA has images of the patio and interior.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 AM

What's going on with Curbed?

That's a really senseless article, but well.. everyone should have an opinion.

Quote:
If I asked you to point to LA’s new tallest building, you would understandably have some trouble. From nearly every angle, the Wilshire Grand does not appear to be the tallest structure on the skyline, nor does it look particularly new.

The Wilshire Grand is also not that interesting of a building. Approaching it from street level, the Wilshire Grand’s “mohawk,” a glass fin that sets the building apart from its fellow flat-topped towers, isn’t visible at all. And with a generic blue-hued glass that seems to be slapped on every skyscraper nowadays, it doesn’t stand out. In fact, I kept losing track of which building I was aiming for as I made my way toward it.

So it’s not the tallest, it’s not the most interesting
https://la.curbed.com/2017/7/24/1601...-public-review

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
What's going on with Curbed?

That's a really senseless article, but well.. everyone should have an opinion.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/7/24/1601...-public-review
I have to agree with the author here. The Wilshire Grand is a great addition to the skyline but it does not fundamentally change it the way the Sears Tower and John Hancock bldg did in Chicago or most recently the Salesforce Tower in San Francisco has. As was pointed out. Despite the declaration by a small group of skyscraper enthusiasts that it's the tallest in the city, nobody with good eyesight and a sound mind would think it is. That just means Los Angeles is still looking for and primed for a true supertall to unseat the US Bank Tower.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:37 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ You'd also need a building in the 1,300-1,500 ft. range to have the same effect on the skyline that Sears Tower had in Chicago or Salesforce had in SF. Those buildings are few and far between, and unlikely to happen in this cycle, if even in our lifetimes. But a girl can dream...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ You'd also need a building in the 1,300-1,500 ft. range to have the same effect on the skyline that Sears Tower had in Chicago or Salesforce had in SF. Those buildings are few and far between, and unlikely to happen in this cycle, if even in our lifetimes.

Quote:
Century City’s office vacancy takes dramatic dive — while DTLA’s barely budges

“Things would be very different if Google went Downtown"

By Cathaleen Chen
July 24, 2017

Constellation Place in Century City and the Wilshire Grand in DTLA

Downtown Los Angeles may still be in the early stages of its renaissance, but its office market is already falling behind — at least compared to Century City. The once-struggling Westside office market saw its vacancy drop more than 5 percent between 2016 and 2017, from 14 percent to 9 percent. DTLA’s barely budged, moving from 16.4 to 16.3 percent, according to second quarter data from JLL.

The recent growth in Century City can be attributed largely to the growth of entertainment and tech sectors in the surrounding West L.A. region, experts told The Real Deal. As those industries grow, the professional services that serve them grow as well — and it helps to be a neighbor.

“Whether it’s Google in Playa Vista or Snapchat in the Santa Monica Business Park or Sony in Culver City, the Century City submarket is seeing the spillover effects” said Brian Niehaus of JLL. “Things would be very different if Google went Downtown.”

Because they have long been entertainment-oriented, Century City law firms are defying the trend toward downsizing as firms consolidate nationwide, said Michael Soto, research manager at Transwestern.

The size of the markets also matters. Downtown has about 30 million square feet of office space, whereas Century City — often dubbed the Downtown of the Westside — only has 10 million square feet.

“When you have more square footage, you have more challenges,” Soto said.

“Downtown has sold itself as the lower-cost alt to the Westside, and there are a lot of diamonds in the market,” Soto said. “DTLA in the long term will be healthy, [and a] much more diverse tenant base.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations