HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:21 PM

Movie Sets around Calgary

I know of a couple of permanent movie sets around the Calgary area. The north of 60 set in Bragg Creek, and the CL western set. Was wondering if there are any more in the area?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:45 PM
not a NIMBY

The Saskatoon Berry Farm bought the set of Unforgiven for their gift shop and restaurant, but I don't think it has been used for any movies since.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
That's what she said

There's another western set somewhere near Cochrane called the 'Bow River Ranch' Don't know where, but a few movies/tv shows have used it.

Edit: I forgot, there is also a permanent set on the Tsuu Tina reserve.

Last edited by Tobyoby; Sep 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Not a permanent one but there is a set being constructed right now up at Fortress mountain for Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'.

It looks pretty cool, that is all I can say...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:32 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not a permanent one but there is a set being constructed right now up at Fortress mountain for Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'.

Is that the new Leonardo film?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 11:14 PM

I thought there were plans to make a permanent film studio at the old Currie Barracks.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Is that the new Leonardo film?
Yup that's the one.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
I know of a couple of permanent movie sets around the Calgary area. The north of 60 set in Bragg Creek, and the CL western set. Was wondering if there are any more in the area?
Does anyone know where the CL Western ranch set is? It's the one that's had alot of movies filmed there, and it's just west of Calgary somewhere. I found lots of info on it, but no directions of where it is.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Does anyone know where the CL Western ranch set is? It's the one that's had alot of movies filmed there, and it's just west of Calgary somewhere. I found lots of info on it, but no directions of where it is.
There's one on private property just North of the Springbank Airport near the river. I know that some movies were filmed there, but I can't recall which ones.

I recall at least 3 gates with locks, and I had to wait at the top and get let in.

Last edited by Stang; Sep 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
They don't want anyone to know, I've heard a few stories of people who figured it out and were met by some of the caretakers who live out there who pretty much told them to scram or the cops will be called

I'm not sure which is what, but there is one out along Jumpingpound Creek south of the #1, and the other is closer to the Bow River west of Jumpingpound Creek on the north side of #1

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:45 AM
Editor

That's the Bow River Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
There's one on private property just North of the Springbank Airport near the river. I know that some movies were filmed there, but I can't recall which ones.

I recall at least 3 gates with locks, and I had to wait at the top and get let in.

I think the one at the south end of Jumping Pound Creek is the CL Western Backlot, which is the most popular one. Many of the big films used that set. If I recall you can get there by taking Jumping Pound road south to the end of the road, or township road 242 west from hwy 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I'm not sure which is what, but there is one out along Jumpingpound Creek south of the #1, and the other is closer to the Bow River west of Jumpingpound Creek on the north side of #1

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Sep 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:01 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I think the one at the south end of Jumping Pound Creek is the CL Western Backlot, which is the most popular one. Many of the big films used that set. If I recall you can get there by taking Jumping Pound road south to the end of the road, or township road 242 west from hwy 22.
Yeah, from what I've been able to gather over the years, it's one of the 2 obvious built up areas here. Until Google has better satellite coverage, no hope in actually knowing without trespassing, which is something I'm not willing to do. Sounds like the owners get harassed on a regular basis (I'm a bit of a movie set buff and the stories are out here).

Either the brown area up top (pretty sure this is it), or the grey area at the bottom.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:10 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

Are they planning on attempting winter scenes up there? Or going for the fall-in-the-mountains look? Looks like they've just moved principal photography to North America so I'd imagine we're next.

Is this set remotely accessible to the public at this stage? Or did you have some magic access?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, from what I've been able to gather over the years, it's one of the 2 obvious built up areas here. Until Google has better satellite coverage, no hope in actually knowing without trespassing, which is something I'm not willing to do. Sounds like the owners get harassed on a regular basis (I'm a bit of a movie set buff and the stories are out here).

Either the brown area up top (pretty sure this is it), or the grey area at the bottom.
It's the gray area at the bottom.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:32 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Are they planning on attempting winter scenes up there? Or going for the fall-in-the-mountains look? Looks like they've just moved principal photography to North America so I'd imagine we're next.

Is this set remotely accessible to the public at this stage? Or did you have some magic access?
I don't know any of the details for the season they are planning to shoot in.

Pretty sure there is absolutely no access to the public right now, it is still being built as we speak.

Can't really say more than that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:09 PM

What is this show CL you are all talking about?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 6:16 PM
Editor

^CL Ranches is the name of the company that owns the ranch property. The have several properties around the Calgary area, and this particular parcel is called the 'Western Back lot' There's a permanent movie set there, and has been used in quite a few movies and TV shows.

-Little big Man (movie)
-The Jack Bull (movie)
-Shanghai Knights (movie)
-Shanghai Noon (movie)
-Lonesome dove (TV)
-Honey I shrunk the Kids (TV)

Here is the full list of credits from that set.
http://www.clwesterntown.com/creditlist.htm

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 3:51 AM
YIMBY

Quote:

the valley behind fortress has been used before there was one back there in the late 90's or early 2000's...I believe the movie was a western that had something with exploding buildings in it (not sure what movie it was though)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:25 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 6:36 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
I was checking out those photos yesterday, it looks good. The pictures I had of it were just with the rough lumber and no finishes applied.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation