HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:34 PM

Nashville - Downtown - Part 2

Nashville is the 24th largest city in the United States by population (668,000) and is the largest city of the Nashville—Davidson–Murfreesboro–Columbia Combined Statistical Area (2,028,000) in Tennessee. It is the state's capital.

Downtown is a lively grid of development, contained on its Western side by railroad tracks and on its Eastern side by the Cumberland River. It features several historic streets of small commercial buildings, areas of grand civic buildings, and plenty of large-scale modern architecture peppered throughout with more growth in development. This thread will mostly concentrate on the more modern features.

Mid-century to Post-modern structures:

Some contemporary structures:

The Westin Nashville, completed in 2016:

Some more contemporary highrises:

Omni Nashville Hotel:
This highrise is connected to hallways and lobbies of its own meeting facilities, the CMA Theater, and several businesses associated with the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum next door.

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum:

Music City Center:
This is the city's convention center, located next to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

Bridgestone Arena:
Also adjacent to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is this arena for the National Hockey League's Nashville Predators, with an attached parking garage and city visitor center.

All photos taken by geomorph in 2018.

For my other Nashville thread, see:

Nashville - Downtown - Part 1: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238665

Last edited by geomorph; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:23 PM

Thanks for the tour! We stayed at the Cambria downtown last Fall. Excellent hotel in a great location.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:03 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Thanks for posting that! I have good memories of my time in Nashville back around Christmas.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:04 AM

Here are some photos of Riverfront Park, on the edge of downtown:

One of the features of the park is the Ascend Amphitheater with its soaring stage roof:

Several areas of gardens are adjacent to the lawns:

The John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge can be seen rising above the park and crossing over to the opposite bank from Downtown, where the Nissan Stadium is located:

All photos taken by geomorph in 2018.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:23 AM

Gotta say the Sheraton always has the weirdest-looking building among in all downtowns.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Gotta say the Sheraton always has the weirdest-looking building among in all downtowns.
That building was built originally as a Hyatt Regency in the early 1970s. That round portion at the top was a restaurant that turned a full revolution every hour.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
That building was built originally as a Hyatt Regency in the early 1970s. That round portion at the top was a restaurant that turned a full revolution every hour.
I just looked at the hotel's website and it appears that they do not use the "crown" for regular restaurant dining. However they have a picture of it set up as an event or meeting space, so it still gets used presumably.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I just looked at the hotel's website and it appears that they do not use the "crown" for regular restaurant dining. However they have a picture of it set up as an event or meeting space, so it still gets used presumably.
There hasn't been a restaurant there in more than 20 years. That was a gimmicky cool thing done in various cities back in the 1970s & 80s, much like the atrium lobby and the space-capsule glass elevators. Still used for events but quite sure it does NOT rotate anymore. There was a recent episode of Top Chef filmed there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
There hasn't been a restaurant there in more than 20 years. That was a gimmicky cool thing done in various cities back in the 1970s & 80s, much like the atrium lobby and the space-capsule glass elevators. Still used for events but quite sure it does NOT rotate anymore. There was a recent episode of Top Chef filmed there.
Here is an article from 2000 stating that the restaurant had closed but the space would be used for special events and holiday meals:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/home/a...pen-for-events

From the same news organization is this article from 2016 stating that the previous special event space had been shut down after being unsuccessful but that new owners were renovating it for special event use again:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...staurant-space

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos