HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:09 PM

Thumbs down

When I originally read the story and posted this I thought it was just going to be a huge multi-purpose sport facility designed to relieve the strain on the current venues. Now that I realize that it's going to be an exclusive club, I'm not for it. Boo.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post
When I originally read the story and posted this I thought it was just going to be a huge multi-purpose sport facility designed to relieve the strain on the current venues. Now that I realize that it's going to be an exclusive club, I'm not for it. Boo.
I was wondering why you thought the city should be involved with a private club. This makes a whole lot more sense.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:47 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Put this in the neverbuilt category..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
Put this in the neverbuilt category..
With pleasure!

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 1:32 PM

So the developer of this project apparently ran ads in the paper yesterday telling the City of Calgary to pay up (and buy the land) or let them go ahead with the project.

Does anyone really think this project could go ahead with this point, financing wise? I'm guessing they are desparate to get bought out at this point.

Here's a link to the project. They don't show exactly where in Edworthy Park it is to be located.

http://www.dolemocorp.com/

EDIT: They want assessed value plus reimbursement of DP costs for the land.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I posted the article the Herald ran on this in the Calgary Construction thread. My take on it is that the city should let this guy twist in the wind and buy the property for less than what he is asking.

There is no way he can build this club now. The complete lack of activity on it since December of 2007 also speaks volumes to this thing actually getting done.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:19 PM

^Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. As for recovering DP costs, fat chance of that. If all the pretenders had the luxury of recovering their DP costs, the City would be broke!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:01 AM

Could this thread be moved to the Projects & Construction updates forum, and maybe re-titled, since it is talking about a specific project?

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:35 AM

Done

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Most cities of our size have virtually eradicated their wildlife. Tell someone that you often see deer or coyotes (or hell, MOOSE) in your neighbourhood in Calgary and they think you live in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere.

Calgary's in a bit of a unique place. Our proximity to the mountains means we get a lot more wildlife than the average city, and the fact that there's virtually nothing built up between us and them just adds to it - compare to either of the coasts, or southern Ontario, or heck, any built-up metro area. Also, the Bow River valley is a major wildlife corridor, moreso than most river valleys. The semi-arid nature of Calgary's climate (plus the geography) means a lot of wildlife funnels right into it, as opposed to spreading out across the surrounding prairie.

While the areas you mention do hold their share of wildlife, the river valley is particularly important as a complete system. Wildlife doesn't exactly thrive when it's broken up into tiny, isolated pockets - populations of large animals need long, unbroken stretches of habitat. It's the same controversy that Banff faces every year, as the highway and other roads (and even hiking trails) continue to segregate natural areas.

Oh, and incidentally, rabbits aren't really wildlife anymore. They're more like Calgary's rats (or Toronto's infamous raccoons), and won't be going anywhere no matter how much greenspace is destroyed. In fact, the more we take out the larger animals (in this case, coyotes mostly), the more bunnies we're going to see. Personally, I like seeing them run around all the time. Makes the city feel just a tiny bit less sterile.
I did see a family of deer in my alley one morning a few years ago, which is extremely unusual because we don't have any ravines significantly large enough for a good kilometer or so around. Very weird.

Nothing cheers me up from a bad day like seeing a hare having dinner on my lawn.

This health center sounds a bit out of place, all the non-wildlife stuff that comes with it would be just as bad as the center itself.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Skepticism over offer to sell land to city

By Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald May 2, 2009 7:40 AM

A developer's proposal to sell riverside land to the city so it can be turned into a park is being met with caution from interested parties, which approve of more green space but are wary of the cost.

Dolemo Development--through a Thursday newspaper ad--said it would be willing to sell its 16 hectares along the south side of the Bow River near Sarcee Trail for its appraised value, plus development costs to date.

While CEO Martin Dolemo wouldn't put a price to that, the land itself -- using the addresses from Dolemo's first application to develop the site--was assessed at just under $5 million last July.

"Green space along the Bow is vital and rare and irreplaceable," said David Baker, planning director for the Montgomery Community Association. "If the price was fair and market value and taxpayers get value for their money, great. If it just compensates a private developer's miscue in judgment, then no."

In December 2007, Dolemo announced plans to build a $1-billion private health club on the site, including a hotel, arenas and movie theatre. He said he intends to file a new development application in the next three months.

But given some opposition to developing the site, Dolemo said he'd also be willing to sell it to the city or someone else so it could be used as a park.

Ald. Gord Lowe said the city has a process to purchase land for parks "and it's capital-driven. It depends on if we have the money and if the land comes available."

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link

The quote by Baker hits the nail on the head. There is no way the city and its taxpayers should be paying for any bad judgement on the developers part. I would protest this potential sale if the city even entertains the idea of paying a price that would include Dolemo's development costs to date.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Developer to offer Calgary land to city for $16.4M

Calgary Herald
May 8, 2009 7:27 AM

CALGARY - A developer willing to sell 16 hectares of riverside land to the city says the property has been appraised at $16.4 million -- and he's dropped the requirement that any sale include out-of-pocket development costs.

Martin Dolemo, CEO of Dolemo Developments, said he plans to formally approach the city about the land's availability, after running a newspaper advertisement last week.

The appraisal, he said, was done in February by Colliers International.

As of last July, the city had assessed the property --using the addresses from Dolemo's first application to develop the site -- at just under $5 million.

In December 2007, Dolemo announced plans to build a $1-billion private health club on the site, including a hotel, arenas and movie theatre.

He said he still intends to file a new application regarding the proposed development in the next three months.

But given some opposition to developing the site, Dolemo said he'd also be willing to sell it to the city or someone else so it could be used as a park.

Doug Marter, the city's manager of parks planning, said land along the river is a priority, but that parcel --on the southwest side of the Bow River and north of Sarcee Trail -- hasn't been on the city's radar because it was privately owned.

There is no money for it in the legacy parks fund, he added.

Dale Hodges, the local alderman, said Dolemo hasn't spoken to him. He added it's unusual to con-duct land sales through the media.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates