HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:08 PM

Looks like a lot going on. Hopefully we will have a Capitol Towers announcement today or tomorrow. I fly home tomorrow, so it will probably come before then.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:16 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
Geez... traffic is already hell enough from Watt to Sunrise. The Vineyards really makes me wonder if the politicians approving these building plans actually drive in the area on a day-to-day basis.
I would have to mostly agree with you on that account. Then again, hopefully this will put some fire into spurring on the Grant Line Expressway/Freeway bypass connector. I just love how my little neighborhood (corner of Hedge and Jackson Hwy) and community (Rosemont) is ignored on the maps and hype.

Ah well.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:44 PM
Capricamento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusey View Post
Geez... traffic is already hell enough from Watt to Sunrise. The Vineyards really makes me wonder if the politicians approving these building plans actually drive in the area on a day-to-day basis.
Yeah, I agree this is more sprawlsville and traffic absolutely gets worse without a new 99-Grant Line-50 freeway. But look at it on a regional map and this part of the region makes more sense to me than Elk Grove pushing further south, or continued northern expansion along Hwy 65 to Lincoln, Wheatland, Linda or Hwy 99 to Plumas Lake, East Nicolaus. While I would love for the bulk of new housing to be the result of central city and inner-ring suburb re-densification, this area is among the better alternatives for outer suburban expansion.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:42 PM
Here we stAy

Yeah, you knew it was coming sooner or later, but I agree that it makes more sense than Elk Grove wanting to push out more and more. What I can't stand is the amount of single family homes they propose, without any large job centers near them is awful. There is no choice for the residences of these planned homes but to drives miles and miles from home-work-home each day.

Another thing I don't understand is with Anatolia and now these subdivsions, why Jackson Rd (Hwy 16) itself wasn't made a freeway/expressway. Now all those cars are going to be stuck on surface streets going nowhere, wasting more gas in the process. It's a huge distance between 50 and 99 to not have some kind of way into the central city.

The transportation "planning" for this region is mind boggling sometimes, but it also doesn't help that Sacramento keeps getting snubbed for transportation $.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
I would have to mostly agree with you on that account. Then again, hopefully this will put some fire into spurring on the Grant Line Expressway/Freeway bypass connector. I just love how my little neighborhood (corner of Hedge and Jackson Hwy) and community (Rosemont) is ignored on the maps and hype.

Ah well.
My mom lives in Rosemont, too!...and that's where I grew up. I don't know how it would happen. But, I really think Rosemont should incorporate...maybe with La Riviera and 95827 that's not Rancho Cordova. But, SOMEHOW! For too long the county has neglected Rosemont. How many years did it take them to do anything about Mayhew? I hope many other cities take Rancho's successes and start the incorporation process. I can't believe the county is even letting this project through. Think of the traffic on streets like Bradshaw and Mayhew for those living in Vineyard going to 50. Correct me if I'm wrong. According to the article, even Roger Dickinson sees that this development is archaic and not to scale with how the Sacramento Metropolitan area is going. It will be interesting to see if NIMBY's come out against the kind of low density development being built here. Now, THAT would be ironic...improbable...but, ironic if it did happen!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Frontier starts Los Cabos flights from Sacramento
Sacramento Business Journal - 11:44 AM PST Friday, March 2, 2007
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Frontier Airlines on Saturday will start its three times per week non-stop flights from
Sacramento International Airport to Los Cabos, Mexico.

The Denver-based airline will offer 7:25 a.m. departures Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a 2:40 p.m.
flight on Saturdays from Sacramento to Los Cabos. The return flights from Los Cabos are 12:10 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays, and an 11:40 a.m. Saturday flight.

Frontier has Airbus A319 jets for the service, with 24 channels of DIRECTV and pay-per-view
movies in every seat.

City officials and community leaders will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony 2 p.m. Saturday for the
first flight that connects the state's capital to the resort town of Los Cabos.

San Jose also will start non-stop service to Los Cabos, with four flights per week scheduled.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 2, 2007 at 9:34 PM. Reason: update

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:15 AM

testing

Testing

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:29 AM
my posse's on broadway

you're good.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:06 AM
my posse's on broadway

Delivering the depot
It will take much more than political muscle to pick up the historic depot and move it north
By Bob Moffitt - Sacramento News & Review 03.01.07

The city of Sacramento wants to move the historic depot in preparation for a new intermodal transit facility in the rail yards.

"It's doable," said senior engineer John Meyer of Simpson Gumpertz and Heger Inc. He thinks raising the 55,000-square-foot depot would be the biggest job his firm has ever done, and possibly the biggest ever in the United States. His San Francisco engineering firm contracted with the city of Sacramento for the schematic and seismic retrofit portions of the project. The firm has previously lifted San Francisco City Hall and the Salt Lake City and County Building as part of earthquake retrofits.

Before anything is moved, the building’s base has to be reinforced so that the depot can be removed from its foundation. That should take four months. Meyer’s firm--if it wins the city contract--then will lift the building 5 feet off the ground and lower it onto two hundred rollers that function almost like a bulldozer’s track. Meyer says one challenge will be finding enough rollers to do the job. “These are the kinds of rollers you use to move heavy presses in an industrial plant, and there will need to be a lot of them ... but we’ll get them.” Moving the depot 400 to 500 feet will take some time. Fifty-five thousand feet is a lot of building and, for obvious reasons, it must be kept level. The rollers move at the blistering pace of 5 and one-half inches per hour, meaning the building will arrive at its new foundation within a month of leaving the old one. It will take another month to lower it and attach it properly to its new foundation.

Moving the depot is possible, but is it necessary? There’s nothing wrong with the building or its current site (that a good cleaning and renovation wouldn’t cure). The city’s real problem is with the tracks that run west to east behind the building and then take a big left turn at 7th Street. Hinda Chandler, project engineer with the city of Sacramento, says the turn slows down Amtrak’s and Union Pacific’s rail operations and limits the length of trains that can run on the track. “What the railroads want to do is straighten that track, so that from the Sacramento River to 7th Street, it goes in a straighter diagonal. For the passenger terminal, we would like to bring the terminal where people get their tickets and their baggage and get ready for the trip and bring them close to the tracks, to keep that relationship.” Doing the railroad’s work for them probably will cost the city $12 to $15 million, plus $30 million for new roads and platforms, plus $13 million to move the building. That comes out to $58 million--all for a relationship between the tracks and the depot.

One relationship that’s become slightly strained is the one between the city and the developer, Thomas Enterprises. Thomas bought the rail-yards parcel from Union Pacific using money promised by the city. Mayor Heather Fargo says the city and Thomas are business partners, but she thinks Thomas should have negotiated a better deal. “Union Pacific should have moved their tracks. They could have done it. It would have been easy. ... It’s a little bit of a sore subject, because we had hoped that our partners in all of this would be stepping up a little more, but the reality is, we wanted to get this done badly.”

The mayor says the city will have $67 million from Measure A and Proposition 1A funds to spend on this first phase. But spending that money now leaves them short on funds for subsequent phases. All told, the mass-transit hub could top out at $300 million. Both Fargo and Chandler use the words “ideally,” “think” and “hope” when describing the hub’s future funding sources. Those are not words Meyer’s uses when describing how to lift a 55,000-square-foot building 5 feet off the ground.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:16 AM

Might be KB Homes through their new KB Urban division. The county really wants to get rid of that building, so you had to figure it was only a matter of time before someone jumped in.

Bob Shallit: Pinch hitter on deck for 21-story loft project
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist

A "nationally known" developer soon could be stepping in to build a 21-story housing and office complex at a downtown site abandoned by Texas home builder D.R. Horton.

Sacramento County Supervisor Roger Dickinson confirms reports that talks are under way with another developer for the county-owned site at Eighth and I streets.

"Things are going quite well," he says of negotiations. "The hope is that within 30 days we can go back to the board and say we have an agreement, that we're back on track."

The project -- called Library Lofts -- got off track in September when Horton backed out of an agreement to buy the vacant building and replace it with a high-rise.

The new developer is looking to build "essentially the same project as Horton," Dickinson says.

The original plans called for about 300 condos, ground-floor retail and 40,000 square feet of office space, some of which would be occupied by county departments. The new plans call for "a little more office, a little less residential," says Dickinson.

The supervisor isn't revealing the identity of the new developer, but says it's a "nationally known company that already has a presence in the Sacramento area."

Last edited by sugit; Mar 3, 2007 at 8:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:33 AM
Here we stAy

Good to hear things are moving along with this, and really can't blame them for decreasing the # of housing units. I wonder if there will be any new renderings and if the design will be changed much.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:37 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow, it's great to see someone picked up on the Library Lofts, that was one I really wanted to see go up! Let's hope this works out!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
my posse's on broadway

whoa! thought that one was dead for sure.

I'm thinking it's Pulte Homes...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 5:51 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

If you haven't yet seen the pictures that MJPhilly took of a West Sacramento sunset, you've have to take a peek. It's in the General Photography section... Stunning to say the least....

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=126584

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 7:10 PM

Yes, MJPhilly's sunset photos ARE stunning. I watched that same sunset Wednesday night from a hotel window in Rancho Corodova. This pic is the Rancho version of his West Sac sunset. (This is also the first pic I've ever tried posting to the net. Hopefully it will work.) The building in the foreground is the long empty HomeBase store on Folsom at Sunrise.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 7:42 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Phillip, nothing currently is showing up..

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:06 PM

That's weird, u_e....I can see the pic I posted. In fact I was going to apologize that the picture is so big!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:09 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ I don't see it either, but I get a pop-up prompting me to create a Windows .net passport. Perhaps you should host the photo somehwere else?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:15 PM

Thanks, fxmtbr. This is all new to me. Just got my first digital camera a couple weeks ago, finally! Does anyone have suggestions where I should host pics? I picked MSN.com because that was the default choice on my laptop. Would another site be better? Or can I change settings at MSN.com so that my pic is viewable here?

Don't mean to turn this into a private tutorial. Send suggestions via private mail if you want.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:20 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

www.imageshack.us is my personal favorite. No account needed, you just upload pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area