HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:50 PM

For the big Argyle slab, the super extra heavy reinforced sections do seem lines up with the edge of the driving area... But now there is a second CIP beam(? Terminology?)... Together, these are suspiciously similar in distance apart as the big crawler cranes treads.

Discuss among yourselves.

(older, only showing the start of the superfluous in-place beam)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:23 PM
we built this city

I hope the snow storms are over so this can accelerate... but your forecast doesn't look good.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:15 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
For the big Argyle slab, the super extra heavy reinforced sections do seem lines up with the edge of the driving area... But now there is a second CIP beam(? Terminology?)... Together, these are suspiciously similar in distance apart as the big crawler cranes treads.

Discuss among yourselves.

(older, only showing the start of the superfluous in-place beam)
http://40.media.tumblr.com/64e777735...gsso1_1280.jpg
That is a great perspective of the construction work. It almost looks like it is from the shorter tower crane?

Hopefully you will be able to post more images from that vantage point as the work progresses.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:24 AM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 12:28 AM
Honored Member

Quote:

Maybe Ziobrop will be able to explain what is going on in this picture. It will be fascinating to see what comes next.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 5:26 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
That is a great perspective of the construction work. It almost looks like it is from the shorter tower crane?

Hopefully you will be able to post more images from that vantage point as the work progresses.
Close. It was taken from the L5 level, next to the crane. (from Bottom up P2, P1, L1 (Convention floor) L2 Argyle, L3 grafton, L4 Market, L5.. etc)

the workers are assembling cages for columns. they do those anywhere there is space, then stack the cages until they are needed for the column.

the Large grafton slab is thicker where there will be traffic, and you can kind of see that path in the rebar. this is also the parking garage entrance is.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:59 PM

Right. I see the cages that they are taking off for pillars elsewhere.

The question is about the extra reinforced area under the retail curtain wall/curb. Or not even that which can be explained by its description. I'm wondering what the other extra steel is for? Spuring off the under-the-curb area just east of the level transition, and parallel with the main one, south. Its now quite visible in the live shot, and tied in with the rest of the grid

My wild imagination has me thinking that these heavilly reinforced sections seems to be the same width apart as the crawler crane tracks. From that, either the crawler crane would be parked on the new-Grafton at least long enough to take it apart without shutting down streets again. Or that it would be parked there to move in another set of big beams for the ballroom or roof... maybe stacking them up even before most of L4 is pored.

But then, I have no idea WTF I'm talking about.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:16 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Right. I see the cages that they are taking off for pillars elsewhere.

The question is about the extra reinforced area under the retail curtain wall/curb. Or not even that which can be explained by its description. I'm wondering what the other extra steel is for? Spuring off the under-the-curb area just east of the level transition, and parallel with the main one, south. Its now quite visible in the live shot, and tied in with the rest of the grid

My wild imagination has me thinking that these heavilly reinforced sections seems to be the same width apart as the crawler crane tracks. From that, either the crawler crane would be parked on the new-Grafton at least long enough to take it apart without shutting down streets again. Or that it would be parked there to move in another set of big beams for the ballroom or roof... maybe stacking them up even before most of L4 is pored.

But then, I have no idea WTF I'm talking about.
I didn't go on site, but did have a closer look from the fence, and compared it to drawings. the areas you refer to are too close together for the crane, so that's not it, However they do seem to correspond with the curb for Grafton, and the Wall for the retail space. it also looks like there are some embeds going in there hence the extra depth.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 5:36 PM
Honored Member

I see that there are construction workers at the Nova Centre today working on the re-bar (or other necessary preparations) for the Grafton Street slab - http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/...s/nova-centre/

I wonder if we will see the big Grafton Street slab being poured on Monday?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I didn't go on site, but did have a closer look from the fence, and compared it to drawings. the areas you refer to are too close together for the crane, so that's not it, However they do seem to correspond with the curb for Grafton, and the Wall for the retail space. it also looks like there are some embeds going in there hence the extra depth.
Is it the entrance to the parking garage?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I see that there are construction workers at the Nova Centre today working on the re-bar (or other necessary preparations) for the Grafton Street slab - http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/...s/nova-centre/

I wonder if we will see the big Grafton Street slab being poured on Monday?
I think it's set to happen Sunday. There is a street closure for Market Street for the pumper truck.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 8:04 PM

"Black ops" on the webcam comment section suggested it would be tomorrow, which isn't impossible. Sunday would be a good day to get *all* the trucks in the city, and have little traffic to fight.

I note the tower boom has moved to the east side, and while not visible on any pics, the onsite pumper is no longer on Grafton St. This might have only to get that area really clean with a bobcat, and only 5 minutes to put back. But curious.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 9:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think it's set to happen Sunday. There is a street closure for Market Street for the pumper truck.
Thanks for the information kph06 and RangerNS. I will be able to check on the Webcam to follow the progress.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:44 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 12:17 PM
Honored Member

It is quite an operation at Nova Centre today (Sunday) - http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/...s/nova-centre/

Concrete mixer trucks are off-loading from three different locations on Market Street, Prince Street and Sackville Street. There are two pumper arms and a crane with concrete bucket in operation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 2:54 PM

Hopefully now that the floor is poured we can see the pace pick up.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 5:52 PM
Honored Member

It will be interesting to see when the large steel components for the Ballroom will arrive on site and start being assembled. Has anyone noticed anything at Cherubini Metal Works?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:21 PM

Two more floors above Grafton St before they need beams... and they, only large enough to get across Grafton st. Late summer, at least.

What will be fun will be the roof, which will be, if anything, even a wider span then todays floor.

I'm really curious as to how long the crawler crane is sticking around.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 7:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Two more floors above Grafton St before they need beams... and they, only large enough to get across Grafton st. Late summer, at least.

What will be fun will be the roof, which will be, if anything, even a wider span then todays floor.

I'm really curious as to how long the crawler crane is sticking around.

You might be right, but I expect the steel assembly for the two-storey retail area and Ballroom to be much quicker than concrete construction. If the steel components are ready then we might see some major progress by the end of May (however this is just my wishful thinking). Also, they won't be coping with snow and cold temperatures for the next 7 - 8 months.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 11:06 PM

We know its going to be steel for those two mini-floors?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth