HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Finally! Georgia Power is looking to sell their Beltline/O4W Park property:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgi...7qg4O0WXiOd4M/
Wow, that's a big deal! That is really a prime parcel.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:35 PM

Midtown Alliance had a note somewhere for lane closures to start installing the arches on the bridge this month.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Finally! Georgia Power is looking to sell their Beltline/O4W Park property:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgi...7qg4O0WXiOd4M/
I hope that they can dedicate at least some of that land for a further expansion of the O4W park. I certainly understand it's prime for development, but you don't get that many opportunities to enlarge an existing park. I always envisioned that big parking lot converted to greenspace and the existing building remodeled into an event/meeting space and restaurant. There would still be room to build additional housing along the beltline and Angier(?)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow, that's a big deal! That is really a prime parcel.
About time they are thinking about it. All these old places that are clearly out of place in their areas are finally doing it, FDA in Midtown too.

Hopefully this goes through.

I agree, park space is valuable in so many ways.

I've always felt that ATL could easily be a city of almost interconnected parks, the Beltline is starting to do that, but they'd need more, particularly in places like downtown and Buckhead to do more of that.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:37 PM

400 apartments and 10,000 sq ft of retail to king memorial http://atlantaintownpaper.com/2017/0...l-development/

20% affordable housing and construction to begin later this year.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
400 apartments and 10,000 sq ft of retail to king memorial http://atlantaintownpaper.com/2017/0...l-development/

20% affordable housing and construction to begin later this year.
Finally! Though interestingly enough, it's "modular apartments". Basically pre-fab apartments that are stacked on top of each other during construction instead of being framed the standard way.

I wonder if the renderings of the project are the same as before?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:02 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Though interestingly enough, it's "modular apartments". Basically pre-fab apartments that are stacked on top of each other during construction instead of being framed the standard way.
Question to any in the multi-family industry out there: Has Atlanta seen any modular apartments built before?

After the (what I believe must have been a massive) success of 16 Skyhouses, I always imagined the next step would have been a further refinement. If stick-built projects can command "luxury apartment" rents, I would imagine Novare would innovate by cutting costs further with offsite prefabrication, less construction waste, faster construction times, etc.

Im sure everyone remembers this old video:
Video Link

Not that these suckers everywhere would be great, but Novare has done a great job refining the Skyhouse model from its original in 2012 to a damn good product with Atlantic House.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
Question to any in the multi-family industry out there: Has Atlanta seen any modular apartments built before?

After the (what I believe must have been a massive) success of 16 Skyhouses, I always imagined the next step would have been a further refinement. If stick-built projects can command "luxury apartment" rents, I would imagine Novare would innovate by cutting costs further with offsite prefabrication, less construction waste, faster construction times, etc.
I'm actually apartment hunting in Brooklyn, and am going to tour this building tomorrow afternoon. They market it as the tallest modular building in the world. I don't believe anything like this has been done in Atlanta, however, perhaps the technology has evolved where it will become feasible. I think it is quite an exciting technology. I believe this building has a steel skeleton, so the structure is not completely dependent on the modular pieces for building integrity. I don't think there is any parking integrated into the structure, so it probably made the design much simpler.

http://461dean.com/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Finally! Though interestingly enough, it's "modular apartments". Basically pre-fab apartments that are stacked on top of each other during construction instead of being framed the standard way.

I wonder if the renderings of the project are the same as before?
There are some interesting precedents that aren't awful dull out there.

Carmel Place in NYC

"The Stack" in NYC

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:28 PM

I'm thinking this is what we can expect at this location:

http://www.guerdonmodularbuildings.c...amily-housing/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:04 PM

This King Memorial TOD is being built just south of the tracks on an existing parking lot. I don't know how to check for myself, but does anyone know the ownership of the big green space north of the Davita Dialysis building across Decatur St. from King Memorial? It doesn't appear to be a part of Selena S. Butler Park which is further north.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
This King Memorial TOD is being built just south of the tracks on an existing parking lot. I don't know how to check for myself, but does anyone know the ownership of the big green space north of the Davita Dialysis building across Decatur St. from King Memorial? It doesn't appear to be a part of Selena S. Butler Park which is further north.
Atlanta Housing Authority

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:34 PM

This was the original design:

https://i0.wp.com/media.bizj.us/view...7-471-73-0.jpg

Now that I look at the rendering again, it does sort of look "modular" with obvious lines dividing the floors.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 10:04 PM

I received an email from the Opus No2 people about some sort of special leasing deal in April or some such thing.

What's noteworthy is the splash of the building is still the original height, taller than One Atlantic. I wonder why they are not advertising the new building look?

Last edited by ATLSkyPalaceOwner; Mar 8, 2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added image

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Im sure everyone remembers this old video:
Video Link

Not that these suckers everywhere would be great, but Novare has done a great job refining the Skyhouse model from its original in 2012 to a damn good product with Atlantic House.
I live in Atlantic House, and it's a fantastic product. Between living there, and watching Apogee next door go up day by day, you get a real appreciation for just how solid and soundproof these modern concrete/rebar projects are.

I would be interested in the sound characteristics of those Steel based modular projects, and how they compare in practice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
I received an email from the Opus No2 people about some sort of special leasing deal in April or some such thing.

What's noteworthy is the splash of the building is still the original height, taller than One Atlantic. I wonder why they are not advertising the new building look?

I was also surprised to get this today, and see the old render. (insert crossed fingers and wishful thinking here.)

Most likely it's some intern putting this stuff together and didn't know what they were looking at.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL CTO View Post
I was also surprised to get this today, and see the old render. (insert crossed fingers and wishful thinking here.)

Most likely it's some intern putting this stuff together and didn't know what they were looking at.
I am more cynical...the larger building looks more impressive and will sell more condos. Wealthy people are not high-rise nerds (like we are) and likely won't have a clue.

Last edited by sbrptree; Mar 9, 2017 at 1:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:

This may be the closest but I'm not sure that it qualifies as modular. By clicking the time -lapse video, you can see that it was precast pieces assembled on site.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/corvias/gsuhousing

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
This may be the closest but I'm not sure that it qualifies as modular. By clicking the time -lapse video, you can see that it was precast pieces assembled on site.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/corvias/gsuhousing
FWIF in the construction industry precast and modular building systems are not the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:30 PM

More details on the WRS Underground Redevelopment: Underground Atlanta plans unveiled, future still unclear | Curbed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations