HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:14 PM

Is the EWU building DT currently vacant?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 1:44 AM

^ no, but it will be vacated after this year I believe. They are planning on moving all of the classes currently in that building over to the riverpoint campus.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 3:42 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Having taken classes at the EWU downtown building, IMO it would be nice to have it as a Art Gallery. Cafeteria in the basement with a mini-sculptor park in the Courtyard in the basement.

I agree, having Streetcars coming back to downtown would bring it full circle to Spokane's past and reverse the mistake they made in the 1930's.

Even if only 50 percent of the announced projects for downtown Spokane gets built, it will be a major push for Spokane. I think after 25 years of little growth, has caused the Spokane public to get cynical of talk of projects/advocates for Spokane, but I think we are beyond the point of no return where we will see growth, in a major way. It is nice for people, from Spokane and beyond, taking notice! It's Spokane's time in the Sun, finally!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:37 PM

Things definitely sound promising.

I have not been to Spokane in 2+ years. Will have to take a trip (prolly Spring) to see what's changed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:43 PM

This is just rumor mill stuff so dont take this as the truth.

I went downtown this morning with my boss today for a Microsoft Vista Launch Seminar. My boss is the owner of a buisness in the east sprague neighborhood, and is on the steering committee for that neighborhood. We were talking about condos on the way back to the buinsness and at the point we were driving down sprague by the WSU and Gonzaga campus my boss told me that. Coverbond had bought the propertys at the corner of trent and Hamilton (habitat for humanity lot and the one across the street that is park like). He told me that he has seen plans that coverbond is develpoping for condominiums on those properties and that the buildings were up to 50 floors. (not sure if he meant that all building combined would equal 50 floors or if just one of the building was 50 floors, but the way he stated it is sounded like he meant that at least one of the building was 50 stories.

again this is just rumor mill

would be cool though if, but also seems out of place for the area.

Trebor.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:39 AM

Wow that sounds interesting, but isn't there a height limit down on Trent and Hamilton?...I'm just saying, it is right off the Hamilton freeway exit, (I hope I'm thinking of the right building). It will be interesting to see if that turns out to be more than just rumors...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:45 PM

rumor mills

I can't imagine how there could possibly be a 50 story building off of the corner of trent and hamilton. sure, the land is coming up in value, but per square foot is still nowhere close to downtown prices and it still makes sense for people in downtown to build 3, 4, or 5 story buildings which means land prices aren't high enough to warrant a 50 story building. It is just too expensive when you go that hight to justify the cost per story once you start going above six or seven stories.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:30 AM
Hub for an Empire

It was on the news tonight about the property site and development company, but no statement of the number of floors. My, that would stand out big time, but I'm sure it will be on a shorter level. Sounds like Habitat for Humanity has a lease to 2011, but they plan to look for another site shortly.

IMO it wouldn't be a good site for a 50 story building. Even a 50 Story building downtown would stand out compared to the 20 story B of A building!

Anyway, it's great to see people thinking differently in Spokalu! It's definitely not the Old Spokane of a few years ago! ...stay tuned!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:24 AM
Hub for an Empire

How did everyone like the 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championship? It was nice to see the region get some exposure!
It will be re-broadcast tomorrow (02/04) on ABC at 2:30pm and ESPN at 5pm, if you want to tape it (SuperBowl Sunday).

You might of saw this article in last week's Spokesman Review, but I got it out of the San Diego Business Journal's Website.
NEW AIRLINE SERVICE FROM SPOKANE TO CALIFORNIA!
Airline Representatives will be in Spokane to make an announcement of flights on Monday, but their website is already active at:

www.xjet.com

Here's the article:

San Diego Business News

Spokane Airline Service to Get Boost: ExpressJet to Introduce Seven Daily Nonstop Flights to L.A., San Diego
Saturday, January 27, 2007

By

By Tom Sowa, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

Jan. 27--A Houston aviation company will debut a new passenger airline service this spring, adding brand new flights to 24 cities, including seven daily flights from Spokane to California.

Starting in April, ExpressJet Airlines will introduce seven daily nonstop flights between Spokane and three California cities, said an aviation analyst covering the publicly traded company.

The new routes will be formally announced by ExpressJet officials in early February. Officials from the publicly traded company will visit Spokane's airport Feb.5 to describe the new service.

The new flights will be the first nonstops between Spokane and two popular Southern California destinations -- Los Angeles Ontario International Airport and San Diego.

The third California destination has not been identified, but, based on job postings on ExpressJet's Web site, could be Sacramento. In total, Spokane will likely see seven flights to California daily and seven arrivals, said Spokane International Airport Spokesman Todd Woodard.

Spokane fliers today can reach Los Angeles's LAX airport with one daily nonstop from Alaska Airlines. Other passengers flying to that city switch flights first in Seattle or Portland.

No airline currently offers nonstops to San Diego or Sacramento from Spokane. Los Angeles is the seventh most-frequent destination from Spokane; San Diego is the 11th, while Sacramento is eighth.

An ExpressJet spokeswoman declined to elaborate on the company's plans for Spokane.

Airline analyst Helane Becker, managing partner with The Benchmark Company of New York, said it's obvious when visiting ExpressJet's Web site that Spokane, Fresno, Boise and other Western and Southwestern cities are new destinations for the airline.

Becker, however, is skeptical that ExpressJet's plan will succeed. She and other analysts quizzed ExpressJet officials during an earnings conference call over details of the new plan.

ExpressJet CEO Jim Ream told them the airline will use 44 of its 50-seat jets to launch the service and expects the plan to be successful over time.

"This is the right aircraft, these are the right markets and we think we are the right company to prove these aircraft can operate out of a network," Ream said, in response to pointed questions from the analysts, including Becker.

Until now, ExpressJet has used about 279 of its aircraft as contracted planes for Continental Airlines, flying as Continental Express in midsized markets.

Continental has told ExpressJet it won't need about 70 of those aircraft as it reduces costs. That frees up aircraft for the new routes.

Analyst Becker said it's not an easy time for a contract company to start a new airline from scratch.

Another airline, Independence Air, tried to do the same thing in 2003, relying on similar 50-seat jets to build a following. But Independence Air failed and was liquidated in 2005, she said.

"I don't know if demand (for those routes) is high enough, especially in cities like Spokane where you have carriers like Southwest and Alaska already in the market, offering hub service in some cases and with good frequent flier programs."

Added Becker: "Others have tried and failed. But maybe ExpressJet has a better mousetrap."

Spokane economist Randy Barcus, who works for Avista Corp., said the additional flights "are fabulous for the air-traveling public in this area."

Spokane flights to California have been popular in the past and the added option of nonstop service will appeal to travelers, he said.

Barcus has planned a February family trip to Los Angeles and said he's flying to Seattle, sitting for an hour then flying to LA/Ontario. If ExpressJet had been available, he would have bought a ticket and saved two hours in travel time. "People would be willing to pay a little extra to save those two hours, not to mention not having to worry about missing a connecting flight to where they're headed," Barcus said.

ExpressJet officials have not disclosed ticket prices yet. But Ream, in the conference call, said the airline will not start by offering discount fares.

An added benefit will be having more aviation jobs in Spokane, Barcus said. Even if the new service takes away passengers from other airlines, the result will be lower prices overall, he said.

-----

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 1:21 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

50 floors in Spokane huh? Now that would be a sight to see..

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 1:32 AM

Yeah, that does sound really cool, but Trent and Hamilton just seems way too far away from the CBD for that type of building...i mean it's right across the street from GU, but it's across the river and through the U-District to get downtown...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:31 AM
A before E

is the mohawk building still standing?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:41 AM

^ just the skeleton. Its been gutted. Looks like it is ready to come down!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:11 PM
A before E

such a sad thought. Good thing I am not there to watch this happen.

I wonder how much he wants for the block now that there will be no buildings on it. I am sure he can't be asking for the 5mil anymore. That land is worth 2 mil if he is lucky as a surface lot. The big lot just east of there, closer to the train station is about 1.2 mil.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

yep

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 12:42 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
such a sad thought. Good thing I am not there to watch this happen.

I wonder how much he wants for the block now that there will be no buildings on it. I am sure he can't be asking for the 5mil anymore. That land is worth 2 mil if he is lucky as a surface lot. The big lot just east of there, closer to the train station is about 1.2 mil.

One would thing however, need not forget who you are talking about in this case.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 10:34 AM
A before E

my guess is he is asking 5+ mil for the land now because he had to pay to have the buildings torn down in the first place. the man was never much of a visionary for the city....more like a blood sucking vulture....sound probably wikipedia that to see where those types of birds come from.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 9:56 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Possibly a little buzz starting to happen with riverfalls.. pics courtesy from MetroSpokane. http://metrospokane.typepad.com/

Last edited by oilcan; Feb 19, 2007 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 3:33 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I like the rendering....and it looks like they are progressing to the next step (Wonder when the VOX will actually start construction?). Nothing on Emporis yet for this project.

I hope.....and it looks like the City Council will take some kind of action to limit construction along the river and protect access by the public. Hopefully they do the same to the viewpoints along Riverside and the Kendall Yard area. Not total restriction but to give the Public some viewing areas.

I don't know about you others, but I'm getting anxious for some construction to get going in downtown.....all the talk of new projects.......anxious for the actual advancement. Hopefully this Spring!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 4:33 PM
Hub for an Empire

Another website I found on the One Fifty-Three Wall Street Condo. Click on box for enlargement. Nice enlargement of Howard Street streetscape:

http://www.omsarch.com/portfolio_det...hp?cid=8&id=96

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West