HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
It's ok.
For a college baseball stadum, it's way more than okay.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:10 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
For a college baseball stadum, it's way more than okay.
Lols, don't pay no mind to that dude.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:37 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Isn't he or she the one that used to like to come in and belittle Birmingham?

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:11 AM

Quote:

Guess every forum needs a troll.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Playing catch up is all that stadium was.

Now, if Mizzou pulls off a covered field for college ball, I'll.get impress because it will exceed what Arkansas, USC, and LSU has done. Bama caught up to TAMU, Vandy and passed Aubbie on the baseball plateau.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 11:25 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Isn't he or she the one that used to like to come in and belittle Birmingham?
Yep.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:49 PM

North LAWN Hall is almost complete. Here's the rendering

Music Moody Hall also

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:02 PM

The University of Alabama releases a Master Plan for the future.

I am very happy that UA will grow it's research capacity and activity, dramatically. I've heard Dr. Bell speak about this. I believe that he was hired to do just that. Expect STEM programs and students to increase. I like the idea that we will be recruiting graduate students from all over the country, like we are the undergraduates. I believe this plan will continue the momentum the University has experienced and will propel UA into a National Flagship University status. Enjoy.

http://yellowhammernews.com/business...-path-forward/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
I am very happy that UA will grow it's research capacity and activity, dramatically. I've heard Dr. Bell speak about this. I believe that he was hired to do just that. Expect STEM programs and students to increase. I like the idea that we will be recruiting graduate students from all over the country, like we are the undergraduates. I believe this plan will continue the momentum the University has experienced and will propel UA into a National Flagship University status. Enjoy.

Wow. That's the first I've read of this. Really nice plan by Dr. Bell. Exciting news for the university.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 12:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post

It's about time... UA has been lagging behind UAB and Auburn for decades in research. That's what a university is supposed to be for, research.

For as long as I know, UA has acted only as a huge liberal arts college, where cranking out bachelor degrees has been the priority.

This effort will make or break the future of UA. Not only does faculty need to grow, though, the endowment needs to grow.

Also, I was glad to see that President Bell wants to really push diversity.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 2:59 PM

As for endowment, check this out.

http://endowments.com/university-of-alabama-system/

Not bad.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:17 AM

Looks like old Tutwiler Hall is being replaced

Quote:
The University of Alabama System board of trustees approved preliminary plans for a $124-million replacement for Tutwiler Residential Hall, along with plans to buy a downtown building in Tuscaloosa.

The board on Friday approved the preliminary scope and a budget of $124 million for a replacement for Tutwiler Hall. The new 520,521-square-foot building would be able to house around 1,583 students.

Tutwiler Hall now houses about 1,000 students, UA President Stuart Bell said. The new building, which will be adjacent to the university’s sorority chapter houses on Paul W. Bryant Drive, will help meet demand for housing on the south side of campus.

“We have a huge demand for these rooms every year,” Bell said. “We have many more requests to be in this resident hall and this portion of campus. (The new building) will probably still not be able to meet all of the demand but it will be a great step forward.”

The building will feature double occupancy rooms with community bathrooms, lounges, study areas, seven elevators, a Julia’s Market and a multipurpose space that can serve as a storm shelter capable of protecting 1,742. The project will be funded with future revenue bonds.

The new building, scheduled to open in 2020, will be complete before Tutwiler is demolished, Bell said.

Earlier this year, the board approved plans for a parking deck, which will be located south of the new residence hall, both of which will be located at the site of the existing surface parking lot beside Tutwiler Hall.

The university is also building a new dorm near Lakeside Dining facility. The board authorized negotiation of an architectural agreement for the $42.6 million project. The top-ranked firms are Williams Blackstock Architects, Goodwyn, Mills and Cawood, and TurnerBatson Architects, all of Birmingham.

The board also suspended the rules to approve plans to buy a 16,200-square-foot building at 617 Greensboro Ave. from John F. Boles and John Cate Boles for $990,000 using university funds. The appraised value for the property was $1 million.

The building, which sits beside the UA-owned Ford building on Greensboro downtown, will become the UA Economic Development Resource Center, which will coordinate the university’s economic development outreach services and provide a comprehensive approach to serving businesses, governments and people, said Cheryl Mowdy, assistant vice president for financial affairs.

The center will house UA’s Economic Development Alliance, a multi-disciplinary team, primarily from the Culverhouse College of Commerce.

The building, built in 1924, will require extensive renovation before it is capable of being used by the university, according to the presentation.

Tim Leopard, associate vice president for construction, estimated renovations would cost around $4 million, and the university plans to bring a proposal to the board when it meets in November.

The renovations will be paid for with a mix of U.S. Department of Economic Development Administration grant funds and matching UA funds, Leopard said.

The university is in the process of finalizing the grant, according to Mowdy.

Under the grant, the university must complete the project in 43 months after receiving the funds, Leopard said.

When asked about the reason for purchasing the building, Mowdy said the office would allow the university to consolidate economic development staff into one office. Mowdy said the staff are currently spread across campus. The center would allow for better communication and collaboration had help expand services offered by the university, she said.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 6:43 PM

HM Comer Hall to undergo major renovation, interior AND exterior

https://www.facebook.com/UAConstructionAdmin/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FUAConstructionAdmin%2Fposts%2F800078826761164&width=500" width="500" height="644" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Board of Trustees gave approval recently for a major interior AND exterior renovation to HM Comer Hall. It will be a new gateway for the Science and Engineering complex.

There are two other pictures of the rendering for the renovated HM Comer Hall at the same FB page. Looks really good!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 1:28 PM

Very interesting that they're going to build a small amphitheater adjacent to the lakeside dining and facing Palmer Lake.

That H.M Comer project over by Shelby Hall is going to be great for COE.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 3:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I think that was the plan all along. There's already an existing little 'patio' type area at the SE corner of the lake that they appear to be incorporating into the amphitheater plan.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 1:22 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:37 PM

UA officially hires Arizona AD, Greg Byrnes, for the same position. Very well respected hire. He secured funding for multiple major facility upgrades across Athletic Departments.

Maybe this is finally when we see that dump of an arena, Coleman Coliseum, get torn down.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:25 PM

University of Alabama trustees discuss construction projects

Quote:
The new connector road, which would link University Boulevard and Johnny Stallings Drive by the College of Nursing, was part of a revised scope for the second phase of the University Boulevard improvements project.
Quote:
The second phase includes a widening of the roadway between Hilliard Drive and Bryant Drive for an additional left turn lane, landscaping and powerlines running underground along the north side of University Drive from Second Avenue to Hackberrry Lane. The project also delays the work east of McFarland Drive to the Alberta City Bridge until a later date.

The connector road, which would run between BBVA Compass Bank and the nursing college, would help alleviate traffic congestion through the Fifth Avenue intersection and the four-way stop at Johnny Stallings Drive.
Quote:
A $19.5 million, 42,000-square-foot alumni building to house several departments in the Division of Advancement at 350 Campus Drive E. on the historic Bryce campus. The building will include meeting rooms, office and event space.
Quote:
A $4.4 million, 22,083-square-foot retail center at 430 Campus Drive W. The property would be leased and retailers would fit out the space.
Quote:
The budget for the new freshman residence hall by Lakeside Dining was increased by the committee from $45 million to $51.2 million. The move will increase the number of beds by 14 and add private bathrooms, as well as add enhanced security measures.
Quote:
The projects include UA's campus thermal energy plant renovations, the H.M. Comer Hall renovation, a new automotive service building, a new Bryce Park food services building, a parking deck and pedestrian bridge adjacent to the Bryant Conference Center, a Mal Moore Dining facility addition, a new residence hall by Lakeside and a Tutwiler parking deck. Projects at the system's other campuses include the University of Alabama at Birmingham's renovation of its dining facility and new police headquarters and the University of Alabama in Huntsville's new sorority house and the innovation center.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 2:54 AM

New 2017 Campus Master Plan Draft

Has anyone heard when UA is going to renovate and expand the North side of the Gorgas Library? There was a lot of talk about doing it five years ago, but it has definitely been put on hold, if not completely shelved. Here is a youtube animation showing what it was supposed to look like once completed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6FJxlMXD4 But the new Master Plan draft no longer shows the main library getting an expansion. Too bad, cause it looked pretty amazing. That side of the library has needed a renovation for a very long time now.

I also noticed on the new campus master plan map, that the Biology building is to be replaced. According to this map, it also looks like Engineering will get two new buildings just north of Shelby Hall.

To the West side of campus, looks like the Business College will get a new building across from the Bruno building.

http://universitylands.ua.edu/2017-master-plan/

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 12:54 PM

Damn, that would have been awesome if they went forward with that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast