HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Is there space next to the speed skating oval -- along the Fraser? That could make for an interesting, transit-friendly location.
I'm not sure that space in that area is transit friendly. I think the closest soon to be Canada Line station is Aberdeen. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 11:18 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's much much much cheaper for them to rent BC Place then it is to build a new stadium. Stadiums are always huge money losers. If Kerfoor builds a stadium it will because he wants to or is obligated to but it won't be to save money on rent.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 4:37 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I'm not sure that space in that area is transit friendly. I think the closest soon to be Canada Line station is Aberdeen. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Lansdowne

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 4:54 AM
Mac User

Quote:
The closest station is Lansdowne but its a bit of walk from the Olympic Oval (like 10-15min walking).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 5:01 AM
Site 8 Lives

^Well, given the renders of the new-and-improved BC Place Stadium, I think the Whitecaps will have a terrific venue to play in.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 5:07 AM
Site 8 Lives

From Soccer America Daily..

What ESPN's shift could mean
by Paul Kennedy, Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 7:01 AM ET
[ANALYSIS] The news that the Thursday night time slot held for "MLS Primetime Thursday" on ESPN2 has been released is hardly the news MLS wanted to get out as the countdown to the 2009 season began in earnest.

In the Sports Business Report report, arguments were made that the decision to carry 27 games over four different days (Wednesday-Saturday) during the 2009 season provided opportunities to increase the ratings, but it could have major implications for MLS and its TV presence.

The basis for the decision, according to Scott Guglielmino, ESPN vice president of programming, is that MLS ratings failed to climb. Indeed, they fell more than 12 percent from 2007 to 2008 to an average of 253,000 viewers a game. (Sports Business Journal previously reported that the numbers dropped an almost equal amount on Spanish-language TeleFutura -- 11 percent to 254,000 a game.)

The signing of David Beckham by the Los Angeles Galaxy coincided with the introduction of destination programming, what was dubbed the "linchpin" of ESPN2's coverage of domestic soccer, part of an eight-year agreement between MLS and ESPN for a rights fee estimated at $8 million a year.

While Beckham's presence boosted the ratings -- his second MLS game for the Galaxy in 2007 drew a high of 658,000 viewers -- the demise of "MLS Primetime Thursday" may give Beckham and MLS less incentive to extend their marriage into 2010 and 2011.

MLS's ESPN2 ratings in the quarter million range are about what the Arena Football League got in 2008, and it has canceled its 2009 season. There's no chance that will happen to MLS, but ESPN's decision shows just how hard it remains for MLS to achieve a national presence on television -- even after expanding its membership by half since 2005.

MLS officials have for many years talked about developing its national footprint through expansion in major television markets, but if MLS doesn't have viewers in front of their televisions at home, it must at least have fans in seats.

The latest development is support for expansion into smaller markets such as Portland (25th largest market) and Vancouver (Canada) instead of South Florida (9th largest market and the only top 10 market MLS will not be in after Philadelphia begins play in 2010).

Such a move would reflect the growth of MLS as a West Coast league and the (relative) value of ESPN2 broadcasts in West Coast prime time -- and be supported by ESPN's efforts to provide better "lead-ins," the programming that immediately precedes the broadcast. (A few of the possible early lead-ins are of dubious value -- college bowling and men's college volleyball.)

The elephant in the room, of course, is the possibility that ESPN might seek U.S. television rights to the English Premier League currently held by Fox Soccer Channel and Setanta. For the first time last fall, FSC (with one third of the number of households as ESPN2) paid for Nielsen to compile ratings, and the early numbers for some EPL games were five times those for MLS games.

It's one thing for ESPN to air one-off events like the World Cup or European Championship or offer periodic coverage of the UEFA Champions League, but weekly coverage of a league generating significantly better ratings than MLS on the Deuce or another ESPN network would be a serious problem.

On a more positive note, MLS's numbers aren't significantly different from those of the NHL, the league above it in the pecking order of the American leagues, with an average viewership of 310,732 a game on Versus for its first 31 telecasts -- up 17 percent from last year.

Supporting a salary cap higher by a multiple of about 20, NHL teams are incurring losses as high as $25 million-$35 million.

The good news for MLS owners is that the current TV picture is hardly a case for large salary increases when they negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 5:10 AM
Site 8 Lives

From OrlandoSentinel.com...

MLS: Atlanta Out! Orlando to USL. St Louis weak? Philly behind schedule...
Posted by Uncle Ed on Jan 16, 2009 10:49:59 AM

The list of potential MLS teams has been reduced today. Atlanta's bid according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution was withdrawn by Arthur Blank Atlanta Falcons owner and the lead investor who pulled out of the running for an MLS team in 2011 due to the harsh economic times. Blank however, has not ruled out the possibility of biding for a space for 2013.

This withdrawal is the second after Montreal pulled out recently. Montreal was widely considered one of the favorites. If we add the recent reports of St Louis falling short of expectations, then thing would get interesting. But, if having the Draft in St Louis is any indication then we can't really count them out just yet as reported on the St Louis Dispatch. Unfortunately for Florida the recent news of an Orlando MLS team this week turned out to be a bust. Orlando will have a team, but in the USL (U.S. 2nd Division).

So whats the picture now? 5 teams remain St Louis, Miami, Portland, Ottawa and Vancouver.

It's difficult to predict which teams will finally be picked. If we go by which cities deserve to be in I'd say St Louis and Portland. But if we look at the best investors It would be Vancouver and Miami. I think Ottawa has future potential and their bid was thought to have been the best presentation by MLS officials. But, in the big picture they have a remote chance of making it.

My heart is with Miami, as a disgruntled Miami Fusion fan who saw MLS give up on us due to a weak investor. But aside from my being biased, I think Miami is in because they have the most to give then all the other candidates and because they are ready to start in 2010. With the possibility of Philadelphia not being ready on time, this is another plus for Miami. Philly could wait another year and the problem is solved.

Who else would go? Portland and St Louis need the stadium if not they would be in and though Vancouver is in the same situation they have the money and a potential cross border rivalry with Seattle that would make this move work.MLS in my opinion should announce Miami and Vancouver as 2011 candidates and St Louis and Portland for 2013.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:06 AM

While I'd love to see the Whitecaps play in their own smaller downtown soccer-oriented stadium, I'd prefer that they stay in BC Place for the long haul. As a taxpayer, we are spending more than $300-million to keep that facility around for another 20-30 years. I want my money's worth by having more events under that roof.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
While I'd love to see the Whitecaps play in their own smaller downtown soccer-oriented stadium, I'd prefer that they stay in BC Place for the long haul. As a taxpayer, we are spending more than $300-million to keep that facility around for another 20-30 years. I want my money's worth by having more events under that roof.
I want my money's worth as well. But if Kerfoot is willing to dish out his own money to build a stadium for his club, and we as taxpayers don't have to get involved financially, I'd be in support of that.

Perhaps BC Place can get other events to come in (i.e. MLB pre-season games, etc) and use the facility? How many events are going to be held at BC Place for this year and next (2010)? I hear it's going to be more than 200 events, am I wrong?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:43 AM

Quote:
I want my money's worth as well. But if Kerfoot is willing to dish out his own money to build a stadium for his club, and we as taxpayers don't have to get involved financially, I'd be in support of that.

Perhaps BC Place can get other events to come in (i.e. MLB pre-season games, etc) and use the facility? How many events are going to be held at BC Place for this year and next (2010)? I hear it's going to be more than 200 events, am I wrong?
I'd be in support of it too, but I'd also be cautious. The rumoured $100-million naming rights deal over 20 years, assuming it hasn't been a casualty of the global economic climate, is dependent on the Whitecaps moving in for the long-haul.

As for BC Place events, the convention centre is bound to steal some of BC Place's business away.

I really wonder what the annual operating costs will be for the refurbished BC Place.

As for MLB, I don't think we're much of a MLB city...even for pre-season games.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:51 AM

Quote:
I'd be in support of it too, but I'd also be cautious. The rumoured $100-million naming rights deal over 20 years, assuming it hasn't been a casualty of the global economic climate, is dependent on the Whitecaps moving in for the long-haul.

As for BC Place events, the convention centre is bound to steal some of BC Place's business away.

I really wonder what the annual operating costs will be for the refurbished BC Place.

As for MLB, I don't think we're much of a MLB city...even for pre-season games.
What's this rumored $100 million naming rights deal that I haven't heard about, and why is it dependent upon the Whitecaps moving in for the long run?

As for MLB, we may not be much of a MLB city, but it might be an event that may attract fans, and tourists too (because of the season in which the league plays - Summer). It wouldn't be a long term solution (i.e. MLB season), but only a few games (4 games, 1 series?).

Wouldn't the annual operating costs for the newly refurbished BC Place be cheaper than the current one, because of the "marshmellow" roof, and the costs that is needed to clean, and 'pump' it up daily?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 5:58 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

BC Place is busy for 200 days a year right now, but not 200 events, most events acutally take longer to set up/tear down then the event lasts. The set up/tear down days are only billed at half cost.

I wouldn't worry about the new convention centre stealing any shows from BC Place, the stadium is a fraction of the cost to use and doesn't compete for the the same type of shows. Not to mention even the new covenention centre is consinderably smaller then the stadium and is unable to hold the large trade shows.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 7:40 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Those were the 1980's....you seem to have disregarded the fact that BC Place is getting massive improvements that will change its image entirely.

Swangard has little potential given its location.
These "massive" improvements can not disguise a hugely impersonal stadium with the worst acoustics ever. Granted, the BC Lions seemed to make it work in there, but they have a proven fan base. soccer and soccer culture needs something more intimate where fans can sing and chant and be shoulder to shoulder when absolutely nothing is going on. I would assume that the upper bowl would be closed for the whitecaps, leaving 20,000 seats below. if only 10,000 or 15,000 show up, BC place still feel horribly empty and the game will have no energy.

Swangard is a gorgeous venue. In the summer time, the trees in central park overlook the pitch and the mountains are clearly visible to the north. there is a cool breeze and the main bleachers face away from the sun, so you never have to squint. As well, behind the goals are amazing outdoor beer gardens and areas dedicated to harassing the opponents goalie. As well, the common area behind the stands are a hive of activity as people are swarming over vendors stands, trying to get food or listening to bands. Lenarduzzi is always present.

I'm afraid BC Place can not replicate any of that.

Granted the seats SUCK at Swangard. My ass and back hurt just thinking about it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:27 PM
Site 8 Lives

The Canadian Press

Stadium, CFL plans among obstacles to Ottawa's MLS expansion
18 hours ago
OTTAWA — With four other cities in the running to land a Major League Soccer expansion franchise, the biggest threat to Ottawa's bid may come from its own backyard.
MLS commissioner Don Garber and president Mark Abbott were in the nation's capital Tuesday and gave a glowing review to the city's bid for one of two spots available for the league's 2011 expansion plans.
However, it's the lack of approval for a soccer-specific stadium to be built in Ottawa that appears to stand in the way.
"That's really the biggest hurdle that needs to be overcome for us to be able to approve an expansion team here," Garber said during a news conference at Scotiabank Place, home of the Ottawa Senators.
It's the NHL club's owner, Eugene Melnyk, who is in talks with government officials to secure both the land and partial funding required to build a proposed $110-million stadium near the NHL team's Scotiabank Place home in the city's west end.
At the same time, a group led by Jeff Hunt, owner of the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67's, has been granted a conditional Canadian Football League franchise and is also looking for the city's approval to redevelop Lansdowne Park in its downtown area.
It's been made clear to all parties involved that the city will give the go-ahead to either soccer, football or neither.
"The drawback is we don't yet have a definitive stadium resolution and that's the biggest drawback," Garber said after spending Monday and Tuesday in meetings with Melnyk's group and officials from all three levels of government.
"We have really great admiration for Eugene and his team. They came in to our board meeting at the end of November and really blew us away with their presentation. But we don't have a place to play."
Ottawa is the last of five cities vying for an expansion franchise to be visited by MLS representatives. Vancouver, Miami, St. Louis and Portland, Oregon, all have done so already and Garber expects to make an announcement by April.
Originally, seven cities submitted an official bid by the league's Oct. 15 deadline, but Montreal and Atlanta have since dropped out of the running.
With both the MLS needing an answer on Melnyk's proposal for a 20,000-seat stadium by March and the CFL group, whose conditional offer expires in the middle of that month, also waiting to find out whether it can go ahead with its redevelopment plans, it's up to the city to decide things.
Melnyk is confident that the soccer group will win out. It will cost them a $40-million U.S. franchise fee and, although he wouldn't disclose how much of his own money he'll be putting into the stadium, he did say it would be a "substantial" amount.
"All I can say is that the conversations (with the city) have been very, very positive," Melnyk said. "There's enthusiasm. They clearly understand the choices that have to be made and I think we agree, we walked away from all three meetings that we had."
With about 90,000 registered players in the region, Garber was impressed with Ottawa's grassroots community and its group's plans for a stadium development, which, among its inclusions, would also provide playing facilities for public use and an academy setup.
However, he said it wouldn't be fair to the other interested parties to award Ottawa a franchise conditional on it getting approval for a stadium down the road.
"Without that commitment on the facility, it's just not a procedure that makes sense for us, or any sports league for that matter," he said.
Should Ottawa fail this time around, Melnyk is still interested in future expansion.
"This is going to happen. It's just a matter of time," he said.
Ottawa is looking to become the 14-team league's second Canadian franchise and follow in the footsteps of Toronto FC, which began play in 2007 and plays to sold-out crowds at BMO Field.
Garber called TFC the "blueprint" for the model MLS team and said the league would like to continue to expand into Canada, but said U.S. television contracts and commercial opportunities would be taken into consideration, so it's possible that neither Vancouver or Ottawa could win a spot in this round of expansion.
Vancouver's bid group is backed by billionaire Greg Kerfoot and NBA player Steve Nash.
"We talked in the U.S. about it becoming a soccer nation. Well, we believe Canada is already a soccer nation," Garber said.
"It doesn't make sense to put odds on it, but we do want more teams in Canada. If it doesn't happen in the short term, it will happen in the long term, but that decision hasn't been made yet."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:58 PM
victory in near

i can not see how the two competing groups cannot partner up in one stadium. if the bc lions and whitecaps can do it, so can any ottawa team do it.

and in other news.... remember when i last said that the MLS is risky? well, beckham wants out

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

i can not see how the two competing groups cannot partner up in one stadium. if the bc lions and whitecaps can do it, so can any ottawa team do it.

and in other news.... remember when i last said that the MLS is risky? well, beckham wants out
Why does Beckham want out?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

He doesn't need to money that badly, he'd rather play on a real team in a real league for less money.
Personally I don't see a problem with this, for the price he's getting the Galaxy could sign a couple of better players. The question is who can they find that would play in the MLS.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:36 PM

I see. Thanks for the explanation. It's too bad. Wasn't Beckham their marketing ploy for their league? What do they have now? I personally think the MLS needs Vancouver, more than Vancouver needs the MLS. We're a city with deep soccer roots. They need support, and I think that investing in Vancouver would be the wisest course of action. The money helps too, of course (i.e. Miami's backer - Barcelona), but didn't Miami have a previous MLS franchise, and didn't they fail pretty badly?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:14 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Beckham hasn't come straight out and said that he wants out of MLS. he's been very coy about playing for AC Milan at the moment, and stated that he has been enjoying his time there. he also seems to allude to the fact that he will honor the last 3 years of his contract with the LA Galaxy.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 1:31 AM

that's good news for MLS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation