HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 9:34 PM

Holy smokes guys. Deleted all off-topic/nonsense posts. Please keep this thread about Salesforce Tower.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
Be happy SF is getting a truly beautiful tower, now fight city hall and the dying out nimbys and demand your next tower to be even taller !...
I'm not sure where if anywhere in San Francisco can a new building be allowed to be any taller than what already is or being planned without running into the shadow issue over protected public spaces. Salesforce Tower's main structure was already lowered from 1200 feet because of this. The City also lowered the proposed heights of a number of neighboring 700 feet plus tower sites to keep Salesforce noticeably taller. Perhaps when San Francisco begins to run out with enough practical space to keep things relatively short, it will start looking at alternatives to be taller - something like what was already done for the current crop of high-rises. Once almost everything we know so is finally built, height limit changes may be made once again to other areas of town probably near existing cores to permit (maybe even) taller buildings. We don't exactly know the future, but one thing is certain - San Francisco will run out of room if current height limits and related ordinances remain unchanged.

You're right to be happy. I am happy that San Francisco will finally have a new and significantly taller skyline than what it has basically had for several decades before. Not only will it be taller, it will be dense with Salesforce Tower as the new center. 2016 will be the year the City's new tallest will finally make its presents.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:54 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^You are so right. Furthermore, it will be the year its new tallest and third tallest will stretch the skyline. Good times for us skyscraper fans.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
I'm not sure where if anywhere in San Francisco can a new building be allowed to be any taller than what already is or being planned without running into the shadow issue over protected public spaces. Salesforce Tower's main structure was already lowered from 1200 feet because of this. The City also lowered the proposed heights of a number of neighboring 700 feet plus tower sites to keep Salesforce noticeably taller. Perhaps when San Francisco begins to run out with enough practical space to keep things relatively short, it will start looking at alternatives to be taller - something like what was already done for the current crop of high-rises. Once almost everything we know so is finally built, height limit changes may be made once again to other areas of town probably near existing cores to permit (maybe even) taller buildings. We don't exactly know the future, but one thing is certain - San Francisco will run out of room if current height limits and related ordinances remain unchanged.

You're right to be happy. I am happy that San Francisco will finally have a new and significantly taller skyline than what it has basically had for several decades before. Not only will it be taller, it will be dense with Salesforce Tower as the new center. 2016 will be the year the City's new tallest will finally make its presents.
I agree with you 100%. For cities as big and important as San Fran and LA, They both suffer the same fate. City leaders worried about shadows, overly worried about a handful of nimby groups and etc. and nimbys who rather keep things as they are and hire idiotic Lawyers to fight their ridiculous claims. There's no reason why San Fran cant get another 1000 plus footer underway soon and same goes for LA. Both are doing well in terms of their economy, and the demand is there. City leaders need to encourage more developments like this.

Rents and home prices are out of control and sitting on height limits for reasons like "shadows" and allowing a housing shortage, which is currently happening down here in so-cal, is just bizarre. City leaders need to wake up and realize that California cities are global powerhouses and need to keep moving forward and densify in order to keep up with the demand for housing and other creative office spaces.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 9:10 AM

No matter what it is, nearly everything one may like, others may not - think of different movies, music, fashion, sports, hobbies, food, cars, places to travel, people, etc. The same is true with skyscrapers. There will always be people who hate them. Maybe they think they are just as oppressive as double deck freeways, or endless parking lots; or maybe they seem more like overpowering bland monoliths casting long dark shadows, or something. I doesn't matter how others may think opposite. But unlike other things, tall buildings are one thing they can fight against, and they do. Some do so with great passion and seriousness.

But what about the people that like them? There are no public rallying groups for them (not counting this forum) - just only against them. Maybe we don't have too. As I mentioned, the need for taller buildings in San Francisco is an unavoidable necessity. I am hoping that once Salesforce Tower and other new tall buildings are completed, more San Franciscan's can warm up to the idea that is okay for a beautiful and growing city to get newer and taller. Yes, there can be some restrictions, but do so in a way that makes smart sense in a city of very limited space. Yes I can understand that sometimes loosing part of one's view can be rather disappointing, but that is the risk of living in a place of such high demand and desirability. With all the opposition that has occurred over the many years, I am so impressed with what the City is now able to achieve. I believe Salesforce Tower and the Transbay Terminal should be the new symbol for San Francisco's progress and growth in the early Twenty-First Century.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 9:10 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Very well stated SFView! What I continue to pick up in speaking with many people is that they don't want the City to grow as quickly as it has been, or not to grow at all. In some people's minds, if there is no more room for new comers, fine; let them go elsewhere. That, of course, is not going to happen. Many of us were new comers here at one time or another since San Francisco and the Bay Area have always had a dynamic magnetism. Other people don't want the City to grow much more now until we greatly improve our public transit systems and other services. There is nothing more important at this time than doing that as quickly as possible, as we all know.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:02 AM

From the webcam it looks like they removed one layer of waler supports...

Just three more levels to go

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:59 PM
SimCity World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
From the webcam it looks like they removed one layer of waler supports...

Just three more levels to go
You are correct!

Looking at the webcam at night gives a much better view into the pit now because it's all lit up. If you guys want a sneak peek at the re-installation of the Bay Bridge lights, look at November 4 at 2:21 a.m.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
^^I've noticed that too.

edwards: Nice shot, thanks for posting that. You can only see about half the core on the construction cam so it's good to see a different angle.

rocketman: won't they pour the bottom level first, then attach and assemble the system to that? It's been looking to me like they are getting close to having the rebar and framing in place, so I've been hoping to see it poured soon.
Looks like you were right... they are pumping away this morning. First level pour is a go!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 1:14 AM

A picture of today's concrete placement:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 1:45 AM

About time! Can't wait to see this go up!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:21 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Great shot, botoxic. Can you post that everyday? Kidding, but it's so great to actually see what's happening down there.

Nice to see they already have the rebar and self-climbing core system onsite (assuming that's the orange thing on the right), ready to go for the next level. They are definitely making up for lost time.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 5:11 AM

This one is from last night - not much difference, but certain features are more noticeable with the night lighting while others are more visible during the day.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 10:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Thanks again! Looks like they are already installing the next level of rebar in the upper left corner there (which confirms what I thought I saw on the webcam last night).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
No matter what it is, nearly everything one may like, others may not - think of different movies, music, fashion, sports, hobbies, food, cars, places to travel, people, etc. The same is true with skyscrapers. There will always be people who hate them. Maybe they think they are just as oppressive as double deck freeways, or endless parking lots; or maybe they seem more like overpowering bland monoliths casting long dark shadows, or something. I doesn't matter how others may think opposite. But unlike other things, tall buildings are one thing they can fight against, and they do. Some do so with great passion and seriousness.

But what about the people that like them? There are no public rallying groups for them (not counting this forum) - just only against them. Maybe we don't have too. As I mentioned, the need for taller buildings in San Francisco is an unavoidable necessity. I am hoping that once Salesforce Tower and other new tall buildings are completed, more San Franciscan's can warm up to the idea that is okay for a beautiful and growing city to get newer and taller. Yes, there can be some restrictions, but do so in a way that makes smart sense in a city of very limited space. Yes I can understand that sometimes loosing part of one's view can be rather disappointing, but that is the risk of living in a place of such high demand and desirability. With all the opposition that has occurred over the many years, I am so impressed with what the City is now able to achieve. I believe Salesforce Tower and the Transbay Terminal should be the new symbol for San Francisco's progress and growth in the early Twenty-First Century.
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/why-a...erra-club-1118

It appears - although the article paints their work in a negative tone - that SFBARF is trying to enact such changes by using the rules to their advantage (as well as some questionable tactics by some members). I do have to say, for a club that is supposed to be about environmentalism, the Sierra Club sure does a lot to promote driving/commuting/traffic by being against most high density constructions in the City.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:41 PM

Core rising: formwork system operational

@gwestr (Twitter)

@atorman (Twitter)

Last edited by botoxic; Dec 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:17 PM
SimCity World Champ

I can't believe it will soon be visible at street level.

It's alive! It's alive!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:44 PM

As Wilshire Grand begins to finish its core, now we get the 2nd California supertall core rising! Very nice to finally see.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:40 PM
SimCity World Champ

Webcam appears to now show the second tower crane.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkyline View Post
Webcam appears to now show the second tower crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture