HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 8:51 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The bikesharing thread

Exactly a year ago today, I posted a list of the largest US bikesharing systems. I like the idea of an annual report, so here is the current list. Over the past year, both the total number of cities with bikesharing and the total number of bikesharing stations in the US have more than doubled.

The list is in order of the number of stations in each system, which is much easier information to obtain than number of bikes. For an approximate idea about how many bikes are in each city, multiply the number of stations by 10.

Also, it goes without saying that there will be more expansions in 2012, both to the existing systems and in new cities. Foremost among them: New York is expected to drop a 600-station behemoth next summer.
  1. Washington/Arlington, DC/VA: 140 stations
  2. Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MD: 115 stations
  3. Miami Beach, FL: 70 stations
  4. Boston, MA: 61 stations
  5. Denver, CO: 52 stations*
  6. Madison, WI: 27 stations
  7. Broward County, FL: 20 stations
  8. San Antonio, TX: 20 stations
  9. Boulder, CO: 15 stations*
  10. Washington State University - Pullman, WA: 8 stations
  11. Chicago, IL: 7 stations
  12. Omaha, NE: 5 stations
  13. University of California - Irvine: 4 stations
  14. Des Moines, IA: 4 stations
  15. Louisville, KY: 3 stations
  16. Kailua, HI: 2 stations
  17. Spartanburg, SC: 2 stations
* Denver and Boulder are counted separately, but cross-honor memberships. Together they have 67 stations.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Also, it goes without saying that there will be more expansions in 2012, both to the existing systems and in new cities. Foremost among them: New York is expected to drop a 600-station behemoth next summer.
and chicago's 300 station monster is also set to open this spring/summer.

2012 is gonna be huge for bike sharing expansion in the US.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:08 PM

Where do you get 300 for Chicago? The TIGER grant will only cover 80. You'd need about $15 million to get to 300 stations. As far as I know (and I could be wrong), the only money Chicago has so far is the $4 million from TIGER.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Where do you get 300 for Chicago?
from the article below. full build-out of the system is planned for 500 stations over the next several years.

Quote:
City announces large-scale bike rental program
By Jon Hilkevitch Tribune reporter
2:19 p.m. CDT, September 21, 2011

Chicago will launch a bicycle-sharing program next year, spinning toward a goal of providing 3,000 bikes for short-term use between 300 pick-up and drop-off stations in the city by next summer and more coming later, officials said Wednesday.

The bicycles would be free for members to use during the first 30 minutes. Fees would be charged for additional time and for visitors to the city and other one-time users. Daily, weekly and annual memberships would also be offered, officials said.

The effort is billed as the city’s “first large-scale bike-sharing program.’’ A small existing program, called “Chicago B-cycle,’’ began last year with about a half-dozen bike rental stations along the lakefront and in the downtown.
full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5673421.story

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 9:16 PM

Aha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last paragraph of Steely's article
The city has applied for $18 million in federal congestion-relief funds to launch the bike-sharing program, said said Luann Hamilton, a city deputy transportation commissioner.
So let's see if we can find out if they got the money. That will tell us if these additional stations are actually funded, or merely planned.

Looking...

Update #1: Here is the list of grant awards for that program. $18 million for bikesharing *is* on the list. However, it is a 5 year list, meaning $18 million is the total allocated over a 5 year period. It doesn't say whether all the money is up front, or spread out over several years. I will keep looking.

Update #2: The $18 million is over three years. No word on how much of it is in the first year. I'm tired of looking and am going to stop.

Last edited by Cirrus; Dec 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 7:52 AM

Quote:
No word on how much of it is in the first year. I'm tired of looking and am going to stop.
The article Steely linked to does in fact provide a timetable:

Quote:
The city and a company to be chosen will launch a bicycle-sharing rental program next summer, spinning toward a goal of providing 3,000 bikes for short-term use between 300 pick-up and drop-off stations, officials said. The program will be expanded in 2013 and 2014 to include an additional 2,000 bicycles and 200 more docking stations.
Three hundred stations in 2012 and an additional 200 over the next two years for a total of 500 by 2015.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:31 PM
ColoRADo

Cool list. It's awesome to see such a quick expansion of this mode.

Denver will be adding 35 stations in 2012 - a 67% increase.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
The article Steely linked to does in fact provide a timetable: Three hundred stations in 2012 and an additional 200 over the next two years for a total of 500 by 2015.
That article was written before Chicago had any funding. It doesn't tell us anything except what they hope for. When it was published, nobody knew how much money would be available, or when.

Now we know they have $22 million, spread over three years. That's $18m in CMAQ plus $4m in TIGER.

Each bikesharing station costs between $40,000 and $50,000 to manufacture and install (including the bikes), so actually $22 million is just about right for 500 stations. But to get 300 this year it means that $13-14 million of the money has to be available now. If we assume the $4 million from TIGER is available right away, that means they need at least $9 million from CMAQ in the first year. In other words, it means their 3-year CMAQ allocation has to be front-loaded to provide half the money in the first year. That's certainly possible. It's all I'm trying to figure out. But in any event, nobody knew any of that in September.

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, by the way. I really hope Chicago does launch with 300. The more you have, the better it works. It's just that I happen to know a lot about how bikesharing funding works, and 300 by summer seems optimistic. Optimistic, but possible. Before I had any details about the CMAQ money, it sounded absurd.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 4:23 PM
ColoRADo

Cirrus,

Why not start a bikeshare list ranked by ridership?

I've got Denver's numbers:

2010: 102,961
2011: 202,731 (96.9% increase)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 4:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

@ cirrus:

even if the the CMAQ money is evenly distributed over the 3 years, that would still mean 6 million would be available right now, and if the 4 million from TIGER is available right now too, that's still an opening system of ~200 stations, which i would hope is still big enough to make a successful go of it. 200 stations would still be larger than any other current system in the nation, so certainly nothing to sneeze at.

and most importantly, chicago appears to have the funding lined up for their eventual build-out of 500 stations and 5,000 bikes. whether they only get 200 of them open by this summer, or all 300 they initially wanted, it probably won't make or break the deal overall.

does NYC have 100% of the funding in place for their 600 station system set to open this summer?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
even if the the CMAQ money is evenly distributed over the 3 years, that's still an opening system of ~200 stations, so certainly nothing to sneeze at. whether they only get 200 of them open by this summer, or all 300 they initially wanted, it probably won't make or break the deal overall.
Totally agree. Either way it's impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely
does NYC have 100% of the funding in place for their 600 station system set to open this summer?
They apparently have a corporate sponsor paying for it, like the deal London has with Barclays. The fact that they haven't announced who it is yet tells us they are probably still working on the contract.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Cirrus,
Why not start a bikeshare list ranked by ridership?
I've got Denver's numbers:
2010: 102,961
2011: 202,731 (96.9% increase)
Not a bad idea. That just takes longer to look up.

For the last 12 months, Washington is at 1,088,145 rides. According to the CaBi Dashboard.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
@ cirrus:

even if the the CMAQ money is evenly distributed over the 3 years, that would still mean 6 million would be available right now, and if the 4 million from TIGER is available right now too, that's still an opening system of ~200 stations, which i would hope is still big enough to make a successful go of it. 200 stations would still be larger than any other current system in the nation, so certainly nothing to sneeze at.

and most importantly, chicago appears to have the funding lined up for their eventual build-out of 500 stations and 5,000 bikes. whether they only get 200 of them open by this summer, or all 300 they initially wanted, it probably won't make or break the deal overall.

SD are you aware of any maps that show were the proposed stations will be? I am assuming most will be in the central area and along / near the lakefront esp the northside and the milw ave corridor.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 8:34 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Not a bad idea. That just takes longer to look up.

For the last 12 months, Washington is at 1,088,145 rides. According to the CaBi Dashboard.
Wow. Impressive.

Now, we should do trips per # of stations/bikes. Something like that.

Code:
City           Trips        Stations    Trips/Station
Washington DC  1,088,145    140         7772
Denver         202,731      52          3899

Last edited by PLANSIT; Dec 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 9:59 PM

Fun. Let's go even further.
Code:
City      Trips	     Stations  Trips/Station  Days Open	  Trips/Station/Day
DC  	  1,088,145  140       7772	      365	  21.3		
Denver    202,731    52        3899	      271  	  14.4
If anyone has a link to Boston, Minneapolis, or Miami Beach ridership figures, please share. I haven't found one. Also, for Boston and Minneapolis please share the dates they opened and closed for the season, since they (like Denver) shut down in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 10:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
SD are you aware of any maps that show were the proposed stations will be?
nope. but i would love to see one.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
That article was written before Chicago had any funding. It doesn't tell us anything except what they hope for. When it was published, nobody knew how much money would be available, or when.
I'm a little confused. The article detailed the city's plan for the $18 million it had hoped to secure. That plan very clearly calls for the development of 300 stations during 2012. The funding was secured. Why would the plan change?

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, by the way. I really hope Chicago does launch with 300. The more you have, the better it works. It's just that I happen to know a lot about how bikesharing funding works, and 300 by summer seems optimistic. Optimistic, but possible. Before I had any details about the CMAQ money, it sounded absurd.
You don't sound like a spoilsport, but I'm curious: Does corporate sponsorship mean that New York's plans warrant less skepticism?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I'm a little confused. The article detailed the city's plan for the $18 million it had hoped to secure. That plan very clearly calls for the development of 300 stations during 2012. The funding was secured. Why would the plan change?
The funding was NOT secured. An application had been sent in, but it was not approved until October. My only guess is that the Tribune made a mistake, or just wrote a lazily-worded article. In any event, that article comes from before Chicago had any money allocated to bikesharing, and so whatever it says cannot be taken as budgetary truth, but only the goal.

Quote:
Does corporate sponsorship mean that New York's plans warrant less skepticism?
Not at all. It's just that New York's goals and funding plans have been widely known for a long time, whereas Chicago's sort of materialized out of the blue, at least for me. At this point, I would say Chicago's plans are more concrete-looking than New York's, because New York is seemingly still negotiating with its sponsor.

It takes 3-4 months for Bixi to manufacture bikes and stations, ship them, and then get them installed. So if New York doesn't announce its sponsor in January it may have a hard time meeting that April goal for roll-out. Unless they decide to fork over public funding, which they could still do (and which the city of NY is almost certainly capable of doing on its own, if they must).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Fun. Let's go even further.
Code:
City      Trips	     Stations  Trips/Station  Days Open	  Trips/Station/Day
DC  	  1,088,145  140       7772	      365	  21.3		
Denver    202,731    52        3899	      271  	  14.4
If anyone has a link to Boston, Minneapolis, or Miami Beach ridership figures, please share. I haven't found one. Also, for Boston and Minneapolis please share the dates they opened and closed for the season, since they (like Denver) shut down in the winter.
Perfect. I was just thinking about this as I walked by a hibernated station. Was curious if D.C. closed for the winter. Apparently not.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 1:22 AM

Bike sharing is coming to San Francisco

A regional pilot program led by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) in partnership with the SFMTA will bring approximately 50 bike share stations and 500 bikes to San Francisco’s downtown core beginning in spring 2012.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/bshare/indxbishare.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation