HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:08 PM

Stopped by the plaza for some last minute groceries last night and saw the theatre interior lit up with construction... and I think its farther along then we estimated. It seems they were cladding the interiors of the lobby and it looks quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Have you taken pics down there lately?
no was down about two weeks ago and never took any since not much had changed

maybe soon

when i was there on a saturday the shoppers drug mart was so dead i think i counted 3 other customers besides myself

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:01 AM

Now that I'm back in the area for a bit and can see it first hand... man, the exterior finishes on the complex look sooo bad a suburbia entertainment-box aesthetic, completely out of place and out of character for the location. Still waiting to see exactly how that south-east corner is going to be built, hopefully it will tie the complex in with Columbia street/Hyack square a little better and redeem the design a little bit. Should have opened up into the corner on the second floor somehow, with windows and balconies and patios, instead of completely closing off into that horrible big blank checkerboard-clad wall...

The bus loop isn't as bad as I'd feared, it's brightly lit at least, seems a little small though for the number of routes... When they move the buses off Carnarvon maybe they'll finally sell those four live/work units

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
no was down about two weeks ago and never took any since not much had changed

maybe soon

when i was there on a saturday the shoppers drug mart was so dead i think i counted 3 other customers besides myself
Isn't that all shoppers drug marts? hehehehe.

the save on always seems to have decent business (been in it 3 times myself already, shopping on the way home when I am out that way, does not get any more convenient than that!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:44 PM

Landmark Cinemas

Looks like they are putting in lighting outside today and also some painting. Its coming along.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:25 AM

Theatre Confirmed for Opening

Looks like Landmark Cinemas will be opening Friday, May 11, 2012! Just in time for the summer movies!

Construction of the Landmark Cinemas at The Plaza is continuing at a furious pace. Some seating has been installed and candy counters were installed this week.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:42 AM
Cheers!

The cinema should spark some life into that place.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:28 AM

wow and only a few seasons behind - good for them

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:05 AM

They've updated the website with a new video. Looks like it was taken less than 2 weeks ago.

http://sitings.ca/currentproject.cfm?projectid=36

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:09 PM

The Plaza looks like a great development, I have a friend living in one of the buildings. My only concern is that the bus loop is effectively gone, so the "Bays" that the buses pick up at are now just sections of the sidewalk around the block, and there wasn't much consideration given to the space that requires. Hence the sidewalks are sometimes jammed with people right outside the front doors of some of the residential buildings.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:23 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The Plaza looks like a great development, I have a friend living in one of the buildings. My only concern is that the bus loop is effectively gone, so the "Bays" that the buses pick up at are now just sections of the sidewalk around the block, and there wasn't much consideration given to the space that requires. Hence the sidewalks are sometimes jammed with people right outside the front doors of some of the residential buildings.
The busses will all be moving to bays underneath the mall. You can see it in the video posted above.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:00 PM

I live in the middle building and have the 106 right in front of my door. Before the Safeway opened I took it all the time to go up to save on. While I never had to take it during rush hour (I work at broadway and refresh), I've never noticed a problem getting in and out and down the sidewalk bc of the people. As mentioned, the bus bays are under the complex between the parking and the shoppers drug mart on the south half. Might be a little tight when they get in there, depending if they will route the shuttles through there as well (they currently stop at the east escalator to 8th st)

I seem to recall may 1 is the date the busses move under the complex.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Might be a little tight when they get in there, depending if they will route the shuttles through there as well (they currently stop at the east escalator to 8th st)
The middle bay looks shuttle-sized to me... There are only three bays for seven bus routes (four shuttles, three full-sized), plus the N19/321 - definitely seems tight.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:15 PM

They opened some of the top floor space sometime in the last week. It looks like some of the businesses are up there are open now.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 PM

About a week and a half mow. Ardene and the chocolate place are open.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:26 PM

Bus routes should be rerouted now. Some of them stop in the new bus loop, but there are still stops along Carnarvon, and Columbia and 8th (mostly unloading bays). Most of the shuttles use the street stops.

Here's someone's blogged impression of the complex I came across: http://nwimby.blogspot.ca/2012/04/pl...ndustrial.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huenthar View Post
The middle bay looks shuttle-sized to me... There are only three bays for seven bus routes (four shuttles, three full-sized), plus the N19/321 - definitely seems tight.
I'm disappointed. Back when a lot of Tri-Cities buses terminated at New Westminster Station, sure out of loop bus bays were acceptable. About half the bus routes and still the same thing?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huenthar View Post
Bus routes should be rerouted now. Some of them stop in the new bus loop, but there are still stops along Carnarvon, and Columbia and 8th (mostly unloading bays). Most of the shuttles use the street stops.

Here's someone's blogged impression of the complex I came across: http://nwimby.blogspot.ca/2012/04/pl...ndustrial.html
That blog post is spot on.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:24 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't know, the outside looks at least as nice as those Fukushima Reactors....

From: http://nwimby.blogspot.ca/2012/04/pl...ndustrial.html[/QUOTE]

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F...r_Plant_02.jpg

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:35 PM
See ya down under, mates

Wow, that is worse-than-Sears awful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley