HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That would actually be a great place for a basketball arena if it did move, though I hope it doesn't move.
It is a rough area.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:49 PM

The area is very rough. However, I have noticed a lot of home flipping and infill starting to happen south of Thomas and 36th St. It's interesting to see since they are asking a lot for these houses vs what rents or sells in properties that are not flipped. I wonder how far south it will move?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:54 PM

Downtown was a rough area back in 1992.

That area has easy access from all parts of the valley, plenty of area for parking, and lots of room to build amenities like practice facility, offices, etc. Look at how well it worked for United Center. I'd rather Suns be downtown but that location would be a good second option.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The area is very rough. However, I have noticed a lot of home flipping and infill starting to happen south of Thomas and 36th St. It's interesting to see since they are asking a lot for these houses vs what rents or sells in properties that are not flipped. I wonder how far south it will move?
My building at Thomas and 36th is a disaster, it makes money and will eventually be in an area of gentrification but holy moly the crack dealing and petty crime there... wow.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Downtown was a rough area back in 1992.

That area has easy access from all parts of the valley, plenty of area for parking, and lots of room to build amenities like practice facility, offices, etc. Look at how well it worked for United Center. I'd rather Suns be downtown but that location would be a good second option.
I hear what you are saying, and I apologize in advance for being vague, but there's a much different element around 40th St and McDowell than there was in downtown at any period. I can say that having worked in public safety downtown for almost a decade from the very early 90's to the late 90's, I knew that area at that time intimately. And I've also spent quite a bit more of my decades-long career covering 40th St and McDowell and its surrounding areas.

I'm not saying it can't or won't someday get cleaned up, but it's gonna take a completely different type of tool set to stabilize some of the pockets around there. Especially some very close to that particular lot.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:04 PM

Of course it's the hood, I don't think anyone is going to deny that, but geographically the location is great for access no matter what part of the valley you're traveling from.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Of course it's the hood, I don't think anyone is going to deny that, but geographically the location is great for access no matter what part of the valley you're traveling from.
Absolutely. Coronado is also still pretty hood. That land has the potential to be great.

Is it officially going to be a data center?

I always hoped it would be developed as a 'new Haver community' like the stuff they're building in Palm Springs. Nice remodels are going for $200 per sf just north of 40th St. & McDowell - something like these could command $250-$300 per sf. in that location:

http://kudproperties.com

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Absolutely. Coronado is also still pretty hood. That land has the potential to be great.

Is it officially going to be a data center?

I always hoped it would be developed as a 'new Haver community' like the stuff they're building in Palm Springs. Nice remodels are going for $200 per sf just north of 40th St. & McDowell - something like these could command $250-$300 per sf. in that location:

http://kudproperties.com

Nothing official I've seen about the planned use of the land.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:38 PM

I assume you're talking about Rancho Ventura, I know a couple of people who have tried to make things work in there, very difficult because by the time you get the house on the market you're at a price that people can get a Town and Country Paradise or Orchid Park Haver.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
But the hood is not what I'm saying. I've been in countless homes across the Valley dealing directly with the underbelly of society. What I'm talking about is different than a hood or transients or zombies tripping on spice or bath salts. And again, sorry for being vague, but there's an element there that's beyond that.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 11:00 PM

I'm entertained trying to figure out what you're referring to, my only guess is the massive refugee population centered at the 202 and 40th. There seems to be a total feeling of desperation in that community and I can imagine that leads to really unhappy things.

Since I bought my building at 36th and Thomas I've had to deal with (not just) the following:

*transsexual prostitution going on in vacant units, storage rooms, and the back yards.
*the usual crack dealings and herion shooting
*homeless stealing people's cats and (probably while high) killing and eating them.
*people setting fire to random trees and objects.

If you've seen stranger things then God bless you, I thought I'd seen it all dealing with that neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:25 AM

So either the land by 40th street and McDowell is turned into a new suns arena or a new data center? If a new data center is built there, wouldn't it be good for downtown Phoenix? Since the current building is a deadzone. Just curious

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:

If you've seen stranger things then God bless you, I thought I'd seen it all dealing with that neighborhood.
Ha ha. Multiple decades of this life-what you described is literally a daily common occurrence we deal with first hand. Of course I've seen worse Countless times.

Hopefully someday that neighborhood and others will get cleaned up for all our sakes. I follow this board, and have for many years, because I love the Valley and I'm truly interested in its betterment.

On that note, I just want to give a shout out thanking everyone here for providing all the information you have offered!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:09 PM

land sold at sw corner indian school and central

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...d-6-1-million/

Central & Indian School Site Sold for $6.1 Million
DPJ Staff
July 18, 2017
by DPJ Staff

DPJ’s Wire series delivers news and information straight from the source without translation.

Cushman & Wakefield announced that Bright Land Holdings, LCC purchased the Central Avenue and Indian School Road development site, located at 4040, 4050 and 4060 N. Central Avenue in Phoenix, for $6.1 million from 4040 N. Central, LLC (Glasir Capital Partners).

Cushman & Wakefield Executive Managing Directors David Fogler and Steven Nicoluzakis represented the seller and Cushman & Wakefield Managing Director Mark Bramlett represented the buyer.

“This site has excellent development potential for developers to pursue high-density multifamily development. With the limited availability of hard-corner, infill T.O.D. sites having great access to major job and transportation corridors, this site is perfectly positioned in the market,” said Nicoluzakis.

The 3.17-acre Central Corridor, transportation oriented development site is located south of the southwest corner of Central Avenue and Indian School Road. Located along the primary arterial that links the Central Corridor’s neighborhoods, including Downtown, Central Arts District, Midtown and Uptown.

Image courtesy of Cushman & Wakefield

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:11 PM

check out the comment from the article.

we need to designate Yosi Bowl as a historic site and stop this development

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:19 PM

hotel at 11 st and van buren

had a petitioner stop by my house in garfield to protest a new 7 story hotel at 11st and van buren. she said there is an existing hotel so i'm thinking it is the SW corner.

Last edited by downtownphxguy12; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post

I can't tell if those comments are sincere or facetious. That's how out of control preservationism and anti-development sentiments have become lately. Regardless, the comments are amusing.

Quote:
had a petitioner stop by my house in garfield to protest a new 7 story hotel at 11st and garfield. she said there is an existing hotel so i'm thinking it is the SW corner.
On what grounds was the petitioner objecting to the hotel?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:

I don't take the comment to be serious, but in case it was: the original McDonald's was torn down in the 60s.

http://www.phoenixmag.com/history/mac-daddy.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I can't tell if those comments are sincere or facetious. That's how out of control preservationism and anti-development sentiments have become lately. Regardless, the comments are amusing.

On what grounds was the petitioner objecting to the hotel?

HOTEL AT 11 st and Van Buren

Traffic coming into neighborhood, and they wanted to make a requirement that they hire from within the neighborhood. I signed mostly because the petitioner was cute.

Actutually i am kind of a property rights guy (if they meet zoning....) but it is still good to have discussions with neighbors.

I asked her if she lived and neighborhood and she said no, she was from tempe.

Last edited by downtownphxguy12; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:18 PM
Skyriser

A 7 story commercial use in the middle of a single-story residential neighborhood is about as out of place as you can get for Phoenix.

Edit: is it at Garfield (where there's a big vacant lot) or Van Buren? 11th St and Van Buren would be fine and a major improvement.

Last edited by combusean; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest