HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Early morning snow on the sand dunes of Mars......

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:44 AM

Is that for real?

Any link to the article?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Is that for real?

Any link to the article?
It was on Commander Hadfield’s Twitter account

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:54 AM

Dang... I am fascinated with Martian climatology.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:19 AM
Go Preds!

-2C with a wind chill of -5C and cloudy! We haven't gotten any precipitation so far because the INSANE dry air transformed the rain into a virga (I think that's how it works, I might be wrong though). At 11AM, the temperature dropped to -2.9C which is our low for the day. An hour later the dewpoint fell to -19C... in mid-April????

Considering our record low is -5.7C (1981), that afternoon temperature is absolutely MIND BOGGLING.

Toronto and Montreal are potentially looking at their coldest April in history.

The warmspot was Osoyoos, BC at 17.7C.

EDIT: Even Windsor is slightly BELOW freezing ATM, WTF is this system and where the fuck is global warming. I wonder what kind of excuse the greentards will use next in order to get more commissions on a new tax.

EDIT 2: Freezing rain warning added for Windsor. Now ALL of Southern Ontario is either under a winter storm warning or a freezing rainfall warning. On April 15th...

Last edited by Nicko999; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:02 AM

Not sure where you are seeing winter storm warnings? Most are under a freezing rain and heavy rainfall warning. The heavy rainfall warning I welcome, get rid of the damn ice pellets.

Anyways as for global warming there's some research that suggests global warming and a warming arctic is weakening the polar jet stream which is allowing cold arctic air to escape from its bubble over the arctic. The air then plunges south. This would explain the uncharacteristic and historic cold snaps we've been getting the past couple years. On the flip side of that we've also had historic hot stretches. We've been told we would see more extremes and that's definitely been evident.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:01 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Went for a sunrise hike on Mount Scio. It's my least favourite view of the city because you can mostly only see suburbia.

Mind-blowingly cold wind chill today. Feels like February, looks like June.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:23 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday was wild....and it still is. As I type this, I can hear ice pellets falling against the window in my room. Ice pellets began at around 8 am yesterday and have consistently fallen since then. I walked over a few kilometres to go somewhere....and the ice pellets have accumulated in a short few hours to create a variant of snow made of those little ice pellets. It's just grainy, tough snow really, and it turns right back to slush when a car runs it over.

It looks like December or November right now.....the only way you could tell it's spring is by the grass that had poked out of the ground, though as of now I think that newly grown grass is covered. I've heard reports of 550 car crashes from the OPP as of this morning. It's been around -1, which is a pretty good temperature to be honest. I'm bit surprised the average is 8 or something....I guess I don't remember what temperature we should be experiencing anymore.

I'm staying inside today....and tomorrow is 7 c.......a huge melt will be happening.....great.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:40 AM

You know what in many ways this storm will end up being a blip of sorts. The heavy rain moves in today and melts away all evidence and it's back to spring, a mediocre spring but still spring. Also it has many spring like tendencies, freezing rain requires upper level warmth, ice pellets we never get so I dont associate them with winter and obviously the rain is spring like.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 12:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If that's your perspective, St. John's doesn't get winter.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 12:46 PM

Doesn't St John's average like 350 cm of snow a year? This storm brought exactly zero, unless ice pellets count then a couple cm, it's also well above zero tomorrow so not exactly the same thing.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
EDIT: Even Windsor is slightly BELOW freezing ATM, WTF is this system and where the fuck is global warming. I wonder what kind of excuse the greentards will use next in order to get more commissions on a new tax.
1. The fact that you use a personal insult like "greentards" immediately gives you negative credibility. It's a sign that your "thinking" is dominated by the basest of emotions, instead of rational logic.

2. Climate =/= weather.

3. "Where the fuck is global warming?" Look at the integrated global temperatures over the past decades. The answer is obvious.

4. As to why we are having these cold snaps in recent years, DrJoe is correct. The rapidly increasing polar temperatures (they have been increasing much more quickly than equatorial temperatures) result in a declining temperature difference between the equatorial regions and polar regions, which cause the jet streams to weaken, and their tracks to stall. This results in polar air masses remaining over a given location for longer than they used to do.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:17 PM

Ugh! My ten year old potted trachycarpus fan palms are looking pretty beat up this morning from the freezing rain! At least it’s back up above freezing now, so hopefully they will regain their normal shape after this beating! They’re calling for thunderstorms and 10C for the high.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Doesn't St John's average like 350 cm of snow a year? This storm brought exactly zero, unless ice pellets count then a couple cm, it's also well above zero tomorrow so not exactly the same thing.
I think it's even a little more than that (EDIT, nevermind, tiny bit lower) - but ice pellets definitely count. They account for a good chunk of our winter precipitation. The majority of storms here transition from snow, to ice pellets, to rain. We make the news whenever it stays cold enough for the snow to actually pile up because we get so much (and it really sucks in the rowhouse areas because there's nowhere to put it). In an average winter, we get a maximum of 11 consecutive days below freezing. So that means there are lots of days with highs above freezing peppered throughout winter and generally keeps the snow on ground limited or even bare.

Wikipedia's summary is actually decent.

Quote:
On average, summer is the driest season, with only occasional thunderstorm activity, and the wettest months are from October to January, with December the wettest single month, with nearly 165 millimetres of precipitation on average. This winter precipitation maximum is unusual for humid continental climates, which typically have a late spring or early summer precipitation maximum (for example, most of the Midwestern U.S.). Most heavy precipitation events in St. John's are the product of intense mid-latitude storms from the Northeastern U.S. and New England states, and these are most common and intense from October to March, bringing heavy precipitation (commonly 4 to 8 centimetres of rainfall equivalent in a single storm), and strong winds.

In winter, two or more types of precipitation (rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow) can fall from passage of a single storm. Snowfall is heavy, averaging nearly 335 centimetres per winter season. However, winter storms can bring changing precipitation types. Heavy snow can turn into heavy rain, melting the snow cover, and possibly back to snow or ice (perhaps briefly) all in the same storm, resulting in little or no net snow accumulation. Snow cover in St. John's is variable, and especially early in the winter season, may be slow to develop, but can extend well into the spring months (March, April). The St. John's area is subject to freezing rain events (called "silver thaws"), the worst of which paralyzed the city in April 1984 and April 2017.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:43 PM

Well if it is any consultation I just saw that some parts of the US are getting it worse than Soutern Ontario from this late blast of winter. Minnesota has accumulated between 1 and 2 feet of snow with more falling today.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo62 View Post
3. "Where the fuck is global warming?" Look at the integrated global temperatures over the past decades. The answer is obvious.
You're right and I'm pretty sure he knew that, and that his statement was to be interpreted as "Given it's there, then why the fuck can't we get some of that global warming here as well?!?" Might as well enjoy the upside.

This record cold April is not very pleasant for most people, normally by now winter's over. Those temperature anomaly maps with everything red except for a big dark blue spot over Eastern Canada are kind of a middle finger to us from global warming!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:44 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Just went out for a bit.....the ice pellets remain consistent in their fall throughout my area, and likely most if not all of the GTA. I measured some uh, ice-snow in the grass, and I'd say we've gotten about 3-4 centimetres.....maybe a bit more of just ice pellets. What's accumulated on the ground is about 2 cm, but the amount of ice pellets that fused together to create sheets of ice on the sidewalk and roads/melted makes me really wonder how substantial this'll be.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
This record cold April is not very pleasant for most people, normally by now winter's over. Those temperature anomaly maps with everything red except for a big dark blue spot over Eastern Canada are kind of a middle finger to us from global warming!
Speaking of which, here is the current anomaly map for April 15th, 2018:

Looks like ground zero is Montreal......

Even worse, if you look at the entire planet, the greatest cold temperature anomaly is in northeastern North America and the Mississippi valley region:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:53 PM

Freezing rain ended here this morning, now it's just raining and windy. Woke up to the sound of ice falling from the trees.

My little strip along lake Erie mostly escaped the ice that continues a bit north and east

Last edited by flar; Apr 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:08 PM
Identity Condiment

Apparently we're getting a winter storm today. Wasn't in the forecast yesterday, it looks to be some kind of Mississippi Low.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada