HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:09 PM
Moran supreme

Holy crap, I have some tulips staring to show. Quite late, nothing else as most is still covered by snow or the ground still hasn't un thawed at all.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:50 PM
613er

Big accumulation of ice pellets today, looks very St. Johnish out.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I think it's even a little more than that (EDIT, nevermind, tiny bit lower) - but ice pellets definitely count. They account for a good chunk of our winter precipitation. The majority of storms here transition from snow, to ice pellets, to rain. We make the news whenever it stays cold enough for the snow to actually pile up because we get so much (and it really sucks in the rowhouse areas because there's nowhere to put it). In an average winter, we get a maximum of 11 consecutive days below freezing. So that means there are lots of days with highs above freezing peppered throughout winter and generally keeps the snow on ground limited or even bare.

Wikipedia's summary is actually decent.
The Environment Canada climate normals include data on snow depth.

St John's A median snow depth looks like this (monthly, starting with January):

15 32 19 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5

This means that in January, half of the days have less than 15 cm on the ground and half have more. I am not sure how the snow depth on a day is determined (is it the maximum, minimum, some kind of average?).

In January, St. John's gets 149 mm of rain on average, 66 mm of rain and 89 cm of snow. This along with the typical temperatures end up producing 15 cm of median snow depth.

Winnipeg also averages 15 cm of median snow depth in January. But they average 23 cm of snowfall and 0 mm of rain.

So, similar amounts of snow accumulation on the ground, but 4x the snowfall in St. John's. A good illustration of how different two places can be even when they appear to be similar based on a few average climate variables.

I would expect St. John's to have a lot more variability too. 45 cm one day, and then multiple days of 0, while in Winnipeg it snows and sticks around.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Speaking of which, here is the current anomaly map for April 15th, 2018:

Looks like ground zero is Montreal......

Even worse, if you look at the entire planet, the greatest cold temperature anomaly is in northeastern North America and the Mississippi valley region:

Love these maps, although don't like what they're showing today. Looks like the warm air over Nunavut is pushing the Arctic air over eastern North America.

Does anyone know if you can go back in time to specific dates or months or anything? I half-ass looked and didn't see that you could.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:43 PM
Go Preds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Love these maps, although don't like what they're showing today. Looks like the warm air over Nunavut is pushing the Arctic air over eastern North America.

Does anyone know if you can go back in time to specific dates or months or anything? I half-ass looked and didn't see that you could.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201802

You have maps by months with the most recent being February 2018.

North America and especially Canada has seen the biggest cold anomalies from Spring 2017 to now.

Of course the most important season, summer, was completely RUINED for us as we were the only place in Canada to be below avg.

We had our only heat wave during fall and our warmest October ever but with the shorter days, it doesn't make for the lack of heat during June, July and August. Then we had one of our 5 biggest cold spell all-time in January and now this beautiful April.
I won't even talk about the historic spring flood of 2017.
If there is ANY justice on this Planet, we should be seeing the biggest warm anomaly this summer in the World. But of course, it won't happen and we're gonna freeze to death in June. It's starting off well with this delayed spring. Delayed spring means trees leafing out later, flowers and vegetation blooming later so naturally a lack of humidity in June and probably July.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:41 PM
613er

I just came back from Kingston and I was surprised to see almost no accumulation of ice pellets/snow here. The initial forecast was 15 cm of snow but it apparently changed and we only got freezing rain and less than a cm of ice pellets. Not quite the semi-apocalypse I was expecting.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Just went out for a bit.....the ice pellets remain consistent in their fall throughout my area, and likely most if not all of the GTA. I measured some uh, ice-snow in the grass, and I'd say we've gotten about 3-4 centimetres.....maybe a bit more of just ice pellets. What's accumulated on the ground is about 2 cm, but the amount of ice pellets that fused together to create sheets of ice on the sidewalk and roads/melted makes me really wonder how substantial this'll be.
I've got about 4-5 cm of that weird ice/snow soup in Mississauga. Still coming down, but it's getting warmer and will soon turn to rain. Supposed to rain all night so it will probably all be gone soon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201802

You have maps by months with the most recent being February 2018.

North America and especially Canada has seen the biggest cold anomalies from Spring 2017 to now.

Of course the most important season, summer, was completely RUINED for us as we were the only place in Canada to be below avg.

We had our only heat wave during fall and our warmest October ever but with the shorter days, it doesn't make for the lack of heat during June, July and August. Then we had one of our 5 biggest cold spell all-time in January and now this beautiful April.
I won't even talk about the historic spring flood of 2017.
If there is ANY justice on this Planet, we should be seeing the biggest warm anomaly this summer in the World. But of course, it won't happen and we're gonna freeze to death in June. It's starting off well with this delayed spring. Delayed spring means trees leafing out later, flowers and vegetation blooming later so naturally a lack of humidity in June and probably July.
I'll try to walk you off the ledge a bit here. April 2016 was pretty chilly, but that summer was above average overall. Patterns always flip eventually!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If this is the new norm, I'm comfortable with that. Winter was sssooo easy, and we never did have a spring anyway. It's been an exceptionally good couple of seasons for us.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:15 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
EDIT: Even Windsor is slightly BELOW freezing ATM, WTF is this system and where the fuck is global warming. I wonder what kind of excuse the greentards will use next in order to get more commissions on a new tax.

EDIT 2: Freezing rain warning added for Windsor. Now ALL of Southern Ontario is either under a winter storm warning or a freezing rainfall warning. On April 15th...
While I understand your frustration, please remember that while you are experiencing colder than normal temperatures, East Asia, for instance has been having a much warmer than usual spring (even by recent climate-changing standards). We had over 12 days in a row of temperatures above 20c from mid to late March and in to April. A couple of those days were around 28-30c. That's insane for Shanghai.

This rock we live on is getting warmer. Most of Canada is just not seeing it this spring.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:27 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Today was mostly overcast, so the sun's just barely coming out right now. No rain nor snow - yet. But some rain/snow is forecast for the next couple of days.

It's been up to +7°C today, despite the cloudy skies - still lower than average for this time of year, but it's better than nothing. At least it's managed to barely stay above the freezing mark over the last 24 hours.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:52 PM

Did someone say something about ice pellets?
Stanley Park today, bright but overcast with a breeze and 12C:

[IMG]IMG_5544 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 12:02 AM

Meh, there's spring bulbs and flowers in my yard, ice pellets will gone by tomorrow morning.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 12:23 AM
Go Preds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
While I understand your frustration, please remember that while you are experiencing colder than normal temperatures, East Asia, for instance has been having a much warmer than usual spring (even by recent climate-changing standards). We had over 12 days in a row of temperatures above 20c from mid to late March and in to April. A couple of those days were around 28-30c. That's insane for Shanghai.

This rock we live on is getting warmer. Most of Canada is just not seeing it this spring.
Oh, I am well aware that just about everywhere else except southern Canada (and Northern US) is having a warmer than normal spring.

It would be nice to be under the red anomaly rather than the dark blue one for once, it's been way too long. We had a break for about 1.5 months this fall but that's too short to be considering a long-term flip of the pattern.

My comment should be interpreted along those lines: We've been the scapegoat of Mother Nature for long enough, it's time to enjoy that Climate change other places are enjoying.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 12:35 AM

Yeah, the year was by far the warmest March I have experienced in Japan. Was around 10 degrees above normal for an entire week at one point.

Cherry blossom season came fast and furious this year, and was over in a blink of an eye.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 12:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Did someone say something about ice pellets?
Stanley Park today, bright but overcast with a breeze and 12C:
It's definitely spring-like in Vancouver but we are in another epic stretch of overcast weather, on a scale that is rare in most of Canada.

The EC forecast shows overcast conditions for yet another week coming up in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 12:58 AM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

I saw bulbs coming up in beds in Hull today as well. Before any of the freezing rain or ice pellets started. I guess they start coming up no matter what, as they take any sign of even a tiny bit of warmth and sunshine as an indication it's time to wake up.

Seems like we got more rain and freezing rain than ice pellets here. The grass was still visible and brown here before it got dark, with only a hint of white.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:14 AM
Suburbs Suck

+12C here today with a mix of sun and rainshower.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:28 AM
Go Preds!

0C and cloudy today... Wind chill was AWFUL at -7C. Low this morning was -5C with a wind chill of -15C. Nuts!!!

The freezing rain started late this afternoon. We are 11C below normal today.
So far our highest temperature in 2018 is a PATHETIC 10.2C back on March 29th. Words cannot describe how bad this is. Our avg high on this date is 10.6C for christ sake!
January 12th was the only other double digits high this year.

The warmspot was Medicine Hat, AB at 16.0C.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Damn. We were already the windiest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada