HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMasterAres View Post
Developers are in the business of maximizing profits. That's basically the whole point. They don't build buildings out of the kindness of their hearts. Seems like a lot of people miss this point and that isn't exclusive to building developers. That is capitalism in general, the whole point of a business existing is to maximize profit. If you aren't then you're failing as a business and should become a not for profit...
There's a staggering amount of people who do not believe that capitalism is all about maximizing profit. Likely because they were told in the 80s the wealth would magically "trickle down"

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Developers are in the business of maximizing profits. That's basically the whole point. They don't build buildings out of the kindness of their hearts. Seems like a lot of people miss this point and that isn't exclusive to building developers. That is capitalism in general, the whole point of a business existing is to maximize profit. If you aren't then you're failing as a business and should become a not for profit...

I totally understand Developers are in the business to make money. My issue is how they ask what your “budget” is and they tell you which unit they can offer you.. how will I know if someone got the identical unit on a higher floor for cheaper?? I would just prefer seeing a pricelist for every unit that way everyone is paying accordingly.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:56 PM

Apr 10 Update

Railings arrived for rental building and first floor installed.

First strata building nearly at grade.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:39 PM

When did the phasing on this project change? Seems like T2 is now phase 3.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
Railings arrived for rental building and first floor installed.

At first I thought "hey, cool precast element to the railings" -
then I realized they were lying on their side and it was padding.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlfriend View Post
I totally understand Developers are in the business to make money. My issue is how they ask what your “budget” is and they tell you which unit they can offer you.. how will I know if someone got the identical unit on a higher floor for cheaper?? I would just prefer seeing a pricelist for every unit that way everyone is paying accordingly.
Yah I get your point, just you said the key phrase.

"I would just prefer"

Another myth in capitalism is the commonly accepted (by the consumer) phrase that is often repeated, "the customer is always right." That is actually incorrect and misleading.

A correct phrase is "the customer is always right when there is competition to acquire the customer's money."

In this case, for developers of new housing units in Metro Vancouver, there is effectively no competition. If you decide not to buy, there's 100 or more people behind you lined up willing to. This is why capitalistic societies fall apart when there is no competition either through accepted anti-consumer business practices in an industry or monopolies.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 4:05 PM

2024-04-20

by Lexus LX, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Yah I get your point, just you said the key phrase.

"I would just prefer"

Another myth in capitalism is the commonly accepted (by the consumer) phrase that is often repeated, "the customer is always right." That is actually incorrect and misleading.

A correct phrase is "the customer is always right when there is competition to acquire the customer's money."

In this case, for developers of new housing units in Metro Vancouver, there is effectively no competition. If you decide not to buy, there's 100 or more people behind you lined up willing to. This is why capitalistic societies fall apart when there is no competition either through accepted anti-consumer business practices in an industry or monopolies.

Thank you for your input. Ive purchased my 3rd presale and was never faced with the developer asking what my “budget” was then calling me a week later telling me what I can get with my price

I guess because of previous experience when I entered a showroom they would give me the price list of a particular floor plan I wanted and the prices for every floor depending how much I wanted to spend.

One thing that does concern me going forward is developers asking for more money for the presale at a later date. That can really mess people up. I doubt reputable developers would ever do that..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley