HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 2:26 PM

I don't particularly like the fact we give all sorts of tax breaks which are not available to smaller companies in industries with less powerful lobbyists, but that's the way things work in this state (at least for now).

The AVR plan still needs federal funding. We are stuck right now without a real federal transportation bill--maybe one will finally get passed, but I'm not all that hopeful for that happening in the remainder of this Congress.

Edit:

An article going over what we discussed above about the importance of the downstream and supply chain companies to the cracker issue:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_778969.html

The thing is, the Pittsburgh region can get a large chunk of all that even if the cracker happens to be across the border in WVa or Ohio.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 5:36 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't particularly like the fact we give all sorts of tax breaks which are not available to smaller companies in industries with less powerful lobbyists, but that's the way things work in this state (at least for now).

The AVR plan still needs federal funding. We are stuck right now without a real federal transportation bill--maybe one will finally get passed, but I'm not all that hopeful for that happening in the remainder of this Congress.

Edit:

An article going over what we discussed above about the importance of the downstream and supply chain companies to the cracker issue:

The thing is, the Pittsburgh region can get a large chunk of all that even if the cracker happens to be across the border in WVa or Ohio.
So, if a federal transportation bill is not passed, then that would pretty much kill the AVR plan, wouldn't it? I love how our idiot congress just looks at things like new transportation infrastructure as "excessive spending." Um, it creates jobs, and it can spur community and economic development. What's excessive about it? If anything, I find it rather necessary. Sure, it will cost hundreds of millions if not billions, but aren't we sending that kind of money overseas anyway? If anything, THAT is what is excessive!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:11 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Edit:

Before this bidding war is over, Shell will end up paying a big fat ZERO dollars in total taxes (income, property, sales, etc...) for the life of this thing, will probably have zero environmental regulations to follow, and hell, might just have the road to the cracker paved with 24 carat gold leaf!

But seriously, the entire region should benefit from the companies that will locate here precisely because of such a plant's existence. Let's just hope that these companies don't attract the same type of bidding wars, or else, as usual, the taxpayers of all three states (PA, OH, WV) will end up permanently subsidizing big business. What else is new, eh?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:17 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Urbana spotted the newest renders on the PNC development site Looking sharper every time not counting the half assed pedestrian/vehicle animations at street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:23 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

The new tower is gonna look sick from the freshly renovated Market Square.

Current view

Approximate new view

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:03 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Urbana spotted the newest renders on the PNC development site Looking sharper every time not counting the half assed pedestrian/vehicle animations at street level.
Agreed... this is Pittsburgh... the renderings need some Camaros on the street

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:37 PM

Has anyone else noticed that they photoshopped the Pittsburgh skyline to the left of the new PNC building in this image:

Those buildings are definitely not in Pittsburgh. Was the existing view not good enough?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 8:54 PM

Sorry for the quality, I was driving.

Strange (to me) to see the arena open this much. When I was little my parents would take us to see the Monster Trucks and they would crack the roof to let the smoke and fumes out but that's about it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 8:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucka View Post
Has anyone else noticed that they photoshopped the Pittsburgh skyline to the left of the new PNC building in this image:

Those buildings are definitely not in Pittsburgh. Was the existing view not good enough?
Yes! Here was my comment in the Tower at PNC building thread:

Quote:
I like how everything behind the tower is photoshopped "kowloon style" infill from hong kong or something.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 8:56 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Agreed... this is Pittsburgh... the renderings need some Camaros on the street

or a taurus

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:29 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Yes! Here was my comment in the Tower at PNC building thread:
I noticed that, too. Isn't that right where One Oxford Centre and the Grant Bulding are?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:00 PM

'Tis indeed very odd that they would tamper with the image like that. It just seems like a lot of effort only to make the picture less accurate.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:04 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
'Tis indeed very odd that they would tamper with the image like that. It just seems like a lot of effort only to make the picture less accurate.

I think they purposely deleted those two signature towers and threw in crappy infill to highlight their building renders better.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:06 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Sorry for the quality, I was driving.

Strange (to me) to see the arena open this much. When I was little my parents would take us to see the Monster Trucks and they would crack the roof to let the smoke and fumes out but that's about it.

Anyone have any new aerial shots of the demo? The news chopper shots were awesome today.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:42 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Before shot. flikr user: cssna
Civic arena surrounded by shitty parking lots, center; New consol energy center bottom center; I.M. Pei designed apartment building on right; Duquesne University starting on left.

In progress on new stadium.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/8/5/...09_05.jpg?a=33

Currently:

credit: http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/jan20...childhood.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 1:12 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Great shots, PA Pride! Thanks for posting these!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:00 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Great shots, PA Pride! Thanks for posting these!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I google search with the best of them.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:12 PM

One Fifth Avenue

My apologies if someone has already posted about this, but when walking to work this morning I saw signs and the tearing off of the facade of this building to turn to lofts. I had not heard about this, so it was a nice surprise.

http://one-5th.com/about/

This website has a few cool photos of what this block looked like in the early part of the last century.
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 1:37 PM

I knew about that project but hadn't seen their website before, so thanks! It is interesting they are going with condos given the recent history of Downtown's residential market, but I saw they were already half reserved. With the tax abatement and great location (including being a block away from the new Gateway subway station), that may make sense.

I assume you mean they are tearing off the lower granite facade--if so that is great (it is obviously not original and out of character with the upper floors and the historic Cultural District buildings in general).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:49 PM

I saw from that link that over 5,000 people reside Downtown. I guess this means even more are going to be moving in. I remember reading a while back when I was still in college that Downtown residents only numbered roughly 2 or 3 thousand. That was when 151 Firstside and the Encore on 7th were still in the planning stages.

I'd like to see more residential development taking place in Downtown, either with conversion of upper floors to residential use or new construction altogether. It would be sweet if Downtown's population could hit 10,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations