HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
This isn't a plus, at all. Just saying.
You mean about the Chargers moving? Well I actually agree with you there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:19 PM

Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up? Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ✨

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 12, 2017 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Hey all. Has anyone noticed that the lot at 4th and Broadway has been torn up. Looks like groundbreaking is imminent for this project ������✨
It's been that way for some time. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
so 20 story hotel, 39 story residential and 8 destination restaurants... Get er done.. Could it have been more? Yes, much more. But i actually think it looks pretty good. My only complaint is the height and loss of more potential housing units
It looks good in that it complements Disney Hall nicely but it's not a particularly impressive or exciting project on its own. Quite a disappointment. Oh well, at least there are about a dozen other projects in DTLA to be truly excited about.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
Two different design philosophies.

Yansong's work has been compared to that of Hadid. Zumthor's work to that of Kahn.

One is more a sculpture to be seen in the round. The other an aggregation of spaces and materials to be experienced.

One is more an architecture of the future, the other an architecture with almost primitive roots.

One will be more like Walt Disney Hall, the other more like the LA Cathedral.
Of course. But the structural commonality (raised museum on individual gallery/communal bases) which was a unique feature of the LACMA design, and much talked about, is no longer unique to LA. It's not going to escape Zumthor's notice, especially as MAD's museum is likely being built first.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:40 PM
Ascension

Well..on the plus, LA has 2 football teams again. The minus is that we only want the Rams. The Chargers belong in San Diego. What a mess.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:33 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:47 PM
Ascension

Better get your tickets.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:03 PM

Cap the 101! That's all I want!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:04 PM
BANNED

This feels wrong.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I realize it won't actually look like that but it's a move in the right direction. I particularly like the idea of demolishing the ungainly City Hall East. Why don't they just expedite the development by building replacements offices for the CHE, and build a new County Courthouse and Admin building. Then they could tear down those two outdated, oppressive behemoths and replace them with something that opens up the Grand Park with the Cathedral and the Grand Avenue Project.

Last edited by ozone; Jan 12, 2017 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:39 PM

We'll all be dead and buried before any of that lovely plan ever comes to fruition sadly, this is bankrupt L.A. were talking about after all. And the finances are only getting worse with pension liabilities eating up more of the budget every passing day.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:19 PM
:o

Chargers are gonna be like the 11th most popular sports team in the LA market.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:10 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Personally, I love the LA Civic Center Axis Scheme plan and hope it comes to fruition (though I'd like for 25% of the planned plaza to be converted to green space). I share Steve8263's doubt that it will happen, but a girl can dream!

If you put it together with the planned Onni and Tribune towers just a block away, that's a huge boon to that area, and better connects the Civic Center with both the Historic Core and Little Tokyo (not to mention Chinatown to the north). It'll be exciting - and probably frustrating - watching this one progress over the years.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Chargers are gonna be like the 11th most popular sports team in the LA market.

i have them at 11 out of 15. Good Call

Lakers, Dodgers, USC football, Rams, Kings, UCLA football, Clippers, Angels, UCLA Basketball, Galaxy, Chargers, Ducks, LAFC, USC Basketball, Spark

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:54 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i have them at 11 out of 15. Good Call

Lakers, Dodgers, USC football, Rams, Kings, UCLA football, Clippers, Angels, UCLA Basketball, Galaxy, Chargers, Ducks, LAFC, USC Basketball, Spark
Im with until you got to the Galaxy!?!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:03 AM

Hey all. I'm as upset as anyone about the Chargers coming here, but this has no place in the downtown thread. Neither are they playing in downtown or are they developing anything here. Let's stay on topic please!!

I'm excited about the civic center plan!

Also, I mentioned earlier about 4th and Broadway being torn up. Anyone have news on this??

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Hey all. I'm as upset as anyone about the Chargers coming here, but this has no place in the downtown thread. Neither are they playing in downtown or are they developing anything here. Let's stay on topic please!!

I'm excited about the civic center plan!

Also, I mentioned earlier about 4th and Broadway being torn up. Anyone have news on this??
It's been like that since last year. Hopefully it breaks ground sometime before the spring.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I realize it won't actually look like that but it's a move in the right direction. I particularly like the idea of demolishing the ungainly City Hall East. Why don't they just expedite the development by building replacements offices for the CHE, and build a new County Courthouse and Admin building. Then they could tear down those two outdated, oppressive behemoths and replace them with something that opens up the Grand Park with the Cathedral and the Grand Avenue Project.
Good heavens no. This is precisely the kind of architectural illiteracy and flippant regard for historic preservation that led to the tragic demolition of buildings like the Richfield during the era of Urban Renewal. Late Modern Brutalism may not be your "thing", but City Hall East is an immaculate example of the style and speaks volumes about the history, culture, and context within which it was built. This, and not whether something looks pretty, is the standard against which art and architecture is evaluated.

Just as every architectural style has fallen out of fashion in the decades following it's zenith, each inevitably regains favor at the 50-60 year mark once perspective has set it. Brutalism, like Victorian, Neoclassical, Art Deco, and Mid-Century Modern before it will reach revered status in the 2020s and 2030s, and City Hall East will come to be viewed as an equal (if radically different) landmark to City Hall itself. I pray the city leaders have the wisdom to foresee this before this plan is able to come to fruition...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Im with until you got to the Galaxy!?!
Galaxy are most definitely more popular in LA than the chargers. They sell out practically every game and have won 5 championships

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations