HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Ottawa has as much of a chance of landing a Hyperloop as it does Amazon HQ2.

Hyperloop is being considered for an entire region. If Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal doesn't get it, somewhere else will, and if that project proves to be a success, it will come here as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Hyperloop is being considered for an entire region. If Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal doesn't get it, somewhere else will, and if that project proves to be a success, it will come here as well.
Not necessarily. You are assuming they will get the money to build it. If they don't, it won't be built anywhere.

Amazon OTOH has the money, so while it is true anything could happen, it is more likely to happen.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
While I think it is possible over the long term that the technology developments will make hyperloop viable, given the significant safety challenges and enormous costs involved with current technology, it seems pretty unlikely any region will get hyperloop in the current century. If it is built somewhere it would likely be in a dictatorship that would build it as a vanity project.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:43 PM

There needs to be a test track to establish its viability, safety and cost effectiveness. In other words, there needs to be proof that this is not all smoke and mirrors.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Musk's businesses are not based on sales. They are based on ideas and making people believe this will be the future and invest. Why on earth is Tesla the US' most valuable car manufacturer? They barely sell any cars. This project is just another one of Musk's scams to separate investors from their money.
It's not even a scam that Musk his putting his own money and time in to. He said that he was "too busy" and so was outsourcing his idea for the world.

All he does is promote it and shit on high speed rail projects around the world. His favourite target was California's HSR. That's what prompted him to offer this up as an "alternative". And hours after publishing his whitepaper, there were sycophants calling for Cal HSR to be cancelled.

They don't even have enough of test track and prototype to be truly considered proof of concept. They haven't yet broken high speed rail speeds. And they haven't addressed the myriad of construction challenges that come with building the world's largest vacuum tube on pylons to a standard that will resist (or account for) everything from earthquakes to thermal expansion to a guy with a rifle and armour piercing rounds rendering it useless.

Quote:
1) It will never get built because the costs estimates are ridiculously whack. What do you get when you combine the most expensive train tech available (maglev) with the world's largest vacuum chamber and full grade separation (on thousands of concrete pylons)? Whatever it is, it won't be cheaper than high speed rail as the Hyperloop sycophants are claiming now.

2) If it does get built, with each pod taking around 30 passengers and leaving every 30 seconds, the maximum throughput is about 3600 passengers per hour. But that's the absolute max and does not account for operational flexibility. By comparison, a high speed train can carry a thousand passengers each and can be spaced 5 mins apart if necessary. That's several times more passengers.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Another good summary article:

Quote:
Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor selected as finalist for Hyperloop One

By: Techopia Staff
Published: Sep 15, 2017 3:51pm EDT

If Amazon’s HQ2 wasn’t enough to get you buzzing, a literal hypetrain may soon be speeding through Ottawa.

A route from Toronto to Montreal (including a stop in Ottawa) has been selected as one of ten finalists for the Hyperloop One Global Challenge, an opportunity to implement the high-speed transport system first popularly envisioned by Elon Musk.

The concept is similar to a railway, but uses magnetic levitation and electric propulsion to accelerate pods of people and cargo through a low-pressure tube. Hyperloop One claims to have made a successful full-scale test of its prototype earlier this summer.

If the 640-km Toronto-Montreal corridor is selected for construction, the Hyperloop could purportedly reduce travel times between the two cities to 39 minutes. That means Ottawa residents could reach Toronto in 27 minutes and Montreal in just 12.

“The proposal would connect Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto and create a Canadian megaregion covering as much as a quarter of the country’s population,” reads a description on Hyperloop One’s website.

Canada’s HyperCan team represents the route, and will now compete with teams across the United States, Mexico, the United Kingdom and India to prove the Toronto-Montreal corridor is the most commercially viable choice.

“The Hyperloop One Global Challenge started as a call to action for innovators, engineers, trailblazers and dreamers around the world who shared our vision of creating a new mode of transportation,” said Shervin Pishevar, co-founder and Executive Chairman of Hyperloop One, in a statement.

“The Global Challenge became a movement of thousands of people from more than 100 countries over six continents. Like us, they believe that Hyperloop will not only solve transportation and urban development challenges within communities, it will unlock vast economic potential and transform how our cities operate and how we live. Our successful test this summer made Hyperloop a reality, and now we’re ready to bring our Hyperloop system to the world.”

The company states that it is hoping to implement three full-scale Hyperloop systems around the world by 2021.

http://www.obj.ca/article/toronto-ot...-hyperloop-one

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:14 PM

I would bet all the money in the world that a Hyperloop won't get built anytime before the year 2100.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:14 PM

Although it'd be super cool if I was wrong!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Musk's businesses are not based on sales. They are based on ideas and making people believe this will be the future and invest. Why on earth is Tesla the US' most valuable car manufacturer? They barely sell any cars. This project is just another one of Musk's scams to separate investors from their money.
Musk creates ideas, not necessarily companies. I mean, it's doubtful that Tesla will ever become the dominant seller of cars or even a major player, but the launch of the company was the catalyst that caused electric cars in general to take off. 10 years ago people were doubtful that electric cars would ever be mass-market; now, everyone in the car industry knows that electric cars will take over someday, the only question is how soon.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Musk creates ideas, not necessarily companies. I mean, it's doubtful that Tesla will ever become the dominant seller of cars or even a major player, but the launch of the company was the catalyst that caused electric cars in general to take off. 10 years ago people were doubtful that electric cars would ever be mass-market; now, everyone in the car industry knows that electric cars will take over someday, the only question is how soon.
Yes, they have skyrocketed to 0.53% to 0.55% of the market over the last 3 years. At this rate they should be up to 1% by the 2040s.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Yes, they have skyrocketed to 0.53% to 0.55% of the market over the last 3 years. At this rate they should be up to 1% by the 2040s.
Things happen slowly at first, then faster.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Or slowly at first, then slowly.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Quote:
Or slowly at first, then slowly.
Both are true. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
There needs to be a test track to establish its viability, safety and cost effectiveness. In other words, there needs to be proof that this is not all smoke and mirrors.
They already ran a test earlier this year (for some reason the YouTube emdedding isn't working for me).

https://youtu.be/O_FyOBCVGWE

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
They already ran a test earlier this year (for some reason the YouTube emdedding isn't working for me).

https://youtu.be/O_FyOBCVGWE
Remove everything before (and including) the last "/" in the web link.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:19 PM

I'm not sure a test of a maglev going at 300 kph is proof of concept of anything.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure a test of a maglev going at 300 kph is proof of concept of anything.
It is a matter of taking steps in the right direction. I gather they wanted to validate the propulsion system prior to evacuating the tube and putting in the real test vehicle. Last thing they want is a glitch in the propulsion system to cause the test vehicle to crash and get destroyed. Even still, they will need a longer pipe to get it up to speed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Except it went to 110 km/h, not 300. My car routinely reaches these speeds, lol.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It is a matter of taking steps in the right direction. I gather they wanted to validate the propulsion system prior to evacuating the tube and putting in the real test vehicle. Last thing they want is a glitch in the propulsion system to cause the test vehicle to crash and get destroyed. Even still, they will need a longer pipe to get it up to speed.
Maglev technology has existed for decades (and been in commercial operation in Shanghai since 2004). It is also extraordinarily expensive (which is why Musk's original plan was to use a turbine, until somebody figured out turbines don't work in vacuums). If they have come up with the money to build a maglev from LA to SF they should just do that and run a 500 kph service without the needless danger and complexity of the vacuum.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Except it went to 110 km/h, not 300. My car routinely reaches these speeds, lol.
My bad. I read somewhere it was 190 mph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation