HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:08 PM

Lee Circle: I think the orange lights will still provide the neat effect. That hotel needed an upgrade it was "nice", but dated. Also, the development of the bar and lounge is welcomed and will hopefully be nice.

In regards to the gas stations- apparently the environment remediation at the abandoned site is putting off any investors. Heard a national drugstore chain was interested, but pulled out.

Anyone notice the new "Receivables Exchange" sign on their new headquarters at the Chevron building? Looks very smart.

Also- does anybody know how extensive the remodle at the Loyola Holiday Inn will be? Can we expect much change to the outside? Anybody have any info? I think someone had the bid request info at one point...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 6:18 PM

I actually did notice the receivables exchange sign the other day. Looks great. I had been wondering if they were going to put one up. Occupancy continues to increase from what I've read. That was a huge win for that building and for that area of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 6:53 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I agree I actually like the lights but if it stays orange Im ok with that to. Hotel is seriously in need of an upgrade so this is overall great news. Reality is Lee Circle wont reach its potential til both gas station are gone.
Totally Agree!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Lee Circle: I think the orange lights will still provide the neat effect. That hotel needed an upgrade it was "nice", but dated. Also, the development of the bar and lounge is welcomed and will hopefully be nice.

In regards to the gas stations- apparently the environment remediation at the abandoned site is putting off any investors. Heard a national drugstore chain was interested, but pulled out.

Anyone notice the new "Receivables Exchange" sign on their new headquarters at the Chevron building? Looks very smart.

Also- does anybody know how extensive the remodle at the Loyola Holiday Inn will be? Can we expect much change to the outside? Anybody have any info? I think someone had the bid request info at one point...
If you check out the Holiday Inns facebook page you can see what their new rooms look like. Exterior wise I dont think much will change. I do believe the restaurant will be upgraded

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 8:17 PM

Hotel Le Cirque/Lee Circle

I agree that Lee Circle is not living up to its potential and that the gas stations need to go in order for there to be a chance for that to happen. The renovation/re-branding of the Hotel Le Cirque and the tie-in with the bar/lounge will hopefully be the catalyst to bring more life and focus there. It certainly makes sense with the nearby WWII and other museums. I do hope they will reconsider the lighting scheme and keep the up the tradition at least during the more special events. With Hotel Le Cirque going boutique and the renovation of the Audubon Hotel a couple blocks up St. Charles, I hope the momentum will keep going along this stretch of St. Charles--more of this type of development and less fast food restaurants and the like.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 10:21 PM

My family stayed in that hotel once. Pretty nice place, agree about Lee Circle, but that new gas station will be hard to relocate, the abandon one needs to be demolished. More activity in that area would be good, especially with the nearby museums like mentioned.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 5:11 AM

re Avery

''This isn't anything big but I think it says a lot of how NOLA is starting to be seen in the eyes of outside investors.''

Wow,i hope so.The city can only go so far with the brand it's developed as ''the big easy''.Outside investment and out of town young professionals are so needed to make New Orleans competitive in the renewal of urban living.The city needs to do something for the tech companies akin to what the state has done for the film industry.People love this city,give them a job related to their degree and most people that i know will make concessions to stay.Also having boutiques is a very good way for cities to differentiate themselves from the mundane homogenized culture that is rampant everywhere.As much as Giuliani made NYC friendly for middle america,people still move there cause it is so different from everywhere else.New Orleans is the same,the only difference being that NY has a solid job economy,but it wasn't always that way.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:48 AM

Champions Square Update

Some interesting things I noticed:
1. Does it look like they're adding 3 stories of balcony on the Dominion Tower facing the square? Because that is awesome.
2. I definitely like the abundance of trees.
3. The video was recorded a week ago, so I don't think the permanent bathrooms underneath the 2 ramps, vine walls, and other finishing touches will be ready for the preseason game on Friday; but hopefully for the first game of the real season played in New Orleans on September 18.

I found this video on youtube; I didn't record it; I don't know who did; and I don't claim the credit for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCk6VMZLeQ" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:00 PM

looks sweet. plan to see it firsthand on Friday. Also reminder that the 1031 canal meeting is supposed to take place today.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:49 PM
-

Ive been wondering what they are doing on the backside of the Benson Tower too. Seems like a three level balcony set up is the likely answer. We shall see soon. IS the square even going to be open this weekend or is it not opening til first Regular Season Home Game?

BTW Im still confused why the vote needed to go back to City Planning Commission? Wont the City Council approve it regardless?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:35 PM

1031 Canal

Looks like the City Planning Commission deferred the vote today because they didn't have all of the commissioners present - making this the third time a city commission has failed to move this project along, because of their own neglect, adding almost a year of needless delay to this project.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:48 PM
TL;DR

^ And then people wonder why there's very little new construction in New Orleans.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:37 PM

Disgusting yet very predictable. Canal St doesn't have a chance as long as the VCC has the control.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:59 PM

Not sure if it's kosher to post this here, if not please delete: www.neighborland.org is a new website set up by Tulane for people to voice their concerns/desires neighborhood by neighborhood. Looks like a neat idea.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Disgusting yet very predictable. Canal St doesn't have a chance as long as the VCC has the control.
If Im correct doesnt this mean the City Council can vote to approve it? Only a veto from the mayor could change that and I dont think he is involved in this any which way!

In other news. Found out the Hyatt wont have a direct entrance on to Champions Square which is kind of annoying but since they are separate owners I guess I can see why it ended up this way.

For anyone interested in the new Biotech Building on Canal. The AIA will be doing a tour of it next Thursday!
http://www.aianeworleans.org/cde.cfm?event=356766

New Renovation Planned on Julia Street

LSU Dental School and Health Sciences Campus Renovation

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:23 AM

Its NOT the VCC. The VCC is a government agency (one that is grossly underfunded and does a poor job or enforcing property guidelines on the Vieux Carre). Its VCPORA (I think that's the right acronym)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:01 AM

How is it legal for these commissions to continue holding meetings when a quorum is not present? It's a little like showing up to the bar with a shirt, boxers, and one shoe.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:01 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Its NOT the VCC. The VCC is a government agency (one that is grossly underfunded and does a poor job or enforcing property guidelines on the Vieux Carre). Its VCPORA (I think that's the right acronym)
Its actually good that you point that out because the two are often confused, but nonetheless the city bends over backwards for this neighborhood organization. The VCC has added new enforcers on their payroll. Im sure this was gotten by the VCPORA.

So what is the next step 1031 Canal will take. Can they just go to the full council and get the vote?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
How is it legal for these commissions to continue holding meetings when a quorum is not present? It's a little like showing up to the bar with a shirt, boxers, and one shoe.
If you have enough people present to do it on some votes it still qualifies but I agree with you. There needs to be penalties for not showing up like you get kicked off the damn board. Its not like these boards dont effect real business decisions. Im sure that some of the board members were at the beach for the last week before school begins or some crap like that!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:23 AM

Re: LSU Dental School and Health Sciences Campus Renovation

Re: LSU Dental School and Health Sciences Campus Renovation

This is another example of bad urban planning from LSU. If you follow the link below, and look at the campus facing Bayou St. John, it is a sprawling suburban hodge-podge. It is not walkable, does not blend with the neighborhood, and is mostly wasted space. This was my complaint for the new teaching hospital they are trying to build as well. I'm afraid it would just be a more expensive version of this.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...38173&t=k&z=16

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations