HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 17, 2006, 10:09 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
^ Oh, sorry. I knew what hotel you were talking about. I just didn't see why that was such a unique place to begin with (in comparison with everything else mentioned, at least).
Ive never stayed there, being as I have a house in the Phx area, but from everyone I know whos stayed there, its very nice. John was making it sound like Tempe had NO hotels (nice or otherwise) so I was just mentioning it.

But anyway....back to the west valley....

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 12:49 PM

Those pics of Westgate are really nice - I didn't realize a tower crane was up already! Everything seems to be coming along nicely - much further along than I last remember seeing it. From what you read in the Republic, you'd think it was a dead project...

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 5:06 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui
..., and promote it as the "urban core" of the West Valley.
Only a slight contradiction in terms in that statement.

I'd feel alot better about things like Westgate if it was on the south side of Grand at like 59th or 67th. Instead it's Ray/I-10 with two stadiums, not exactly what I would consider urban.

Can you imagine the potential if Grand cut across the NE corner of this site with DT Glendale on the other side? Build a central train platform between them for commuter rail? At least that would be a start.

This place is going to be a traffic clusterf*ck.

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 6:10 PM

^ Yep. I still wish this were all happening in downtown Phoenix.

--don

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 8:35 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
Very nice. I like the stylings (like on page 4), and seeing a flurry of crane and construction activity that's not for a freeway is always nice, especially in Arizona.

Old Posted May 18, 2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
Off-topic:

Did anybody notice the other blog post, "Say hello to the 50 year mortgage - not just for the first time buyer!"?

Isn't the purpose of a mortgage to make sure you don't have payments into your 70's?

Old Posted May 19, 2006, 1:40 AM

Yeah - but who pays off their mortgage anymore? (not that this makes it right, just a statement of where we are today) With home prices and a bunch of retirees who have lots of bank in their 401ks, they can easily afford to continue their mortgage payments. Or take equity from the home they raised their children in and put it into a smaller, more upscale home.

And this will only get worse over time. Not sure I know of many people who stay in their home for much more than 10 years. (younger people, that is...)

Besides - a banks job is to make sure they're making money off of you somehow.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 2:56 AM

A few more details about The Districts at Zanjero:

Districts at Zanjero set to break ground

Frank Morris
staff writer

With the Westgate development, Cardinals Stadium, and now the Districts at Zanjero, the West Valley’s skyline is taking shape.

Nevada-based Marathon Commercial Development announced earlier this month that it plans on breaking ground on the Districts at Zanjero lifestyle center next year.

The group said it’s working diligently to open its first phase in time for the 2008 Super Bowl.

The 51-acre mixed-use development, at 91st and Glendale avenues, will include 500,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space; 200,000 square feet of office space; and a 20-story hotel.

In addition, two- and three-story residential lofts above retail will be part of the site, and in the final phase, eight- to 10-story residential condominium towers are expected to pop up.

The residences, which will feature a Mediterranean flare and spacious balconies, will be available for purchase only.

All of the buildings at the Districts at Zanjero are planned to be environmentally friendly, ensuring resource and cost efficiency.

Diane Smith, marketing director for Marathon Commercial Development, said she’s working on luring national tenants not currently in Arizona to the project.

She expects retail options to be “moderate-upper in terms of the price point,” while restaurant options will range from fine-dining to family friendly.

Smith also said the height of the hotel shouldn’t be a problem because “we’re already approved for 250 feet of height, so that zoning’s already done.”

Smith said Marathon is in negotiations with “a world-renowned hotel group that operates in 80 countries.”

While she wouldn’t disclose names, Smith said Marathon hopes to make an announcement in 60 days.

The Districts at Zanjero will be built directly adjacent to outdoor outfitter Cabela’s, which will open in August.

“I think it would complement the Cabela’s store very well because of all the restaurants we’re offering,” she said.

“Many of the Cabela’s shoppers come from as far as 300 miles and they spend the night, and they will be seeking more entertainment, more restaurants, and more shopping in the area,” Smith said.

The Districts at Zanjero is part of the larger Zanjero development. Marathon Commercial paid $30 million to Zanjero developer Citation Land Co. for the Districts parcel earlier this year.

“There will be literally over 20 million people attracted to this area annually. I can’t imagine a better place to build this development,” Smith said.

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni declined comment on the development, saying Marathon Commercial Development had yet to provide anything official on the development.

Smith said, “We haven’t made any type of press release with the city of Glendale because we haven’t had anything specific to announce (in terms of tenants or hotels).”

But Smith went on to say that when the project was announced during the International Council of Shopping Centers convention in Las Vegas, there was strong interest and numerous proposals from various prospective tenants, restaurants and hotels.

Bialosky and Partners LLC has been hired to design the Districts at Zanjero. The architectural firm also designed Crocker Park in Westlake, Ohio.

The Districts at Zanjero is expected to reflect many of the characteristics Crocker Park possesses, including a similar mix of tenants.

Frank Morris can be reached by e-mail at fmorris@westvalleyview.com.

Link: http://westvalleyview.com/main.asp?S...19&TM=84251.22

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 7:59 AM
Desert Urbanite

^Wow, a 20-story, 250 feet hotel....very nice. Looks like Glendale is finally growing up...although a bit west of its Downtown.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 5:03 PM

It will be very interesting to watch this area develop over the next 10 years of so. Entertainment focused now, but I have a feeling that there's more to come in the shape of office towers. I think this development shows how Phoenix will turn out - a collection of dispersed polycentric downtown areas. I'd like to see more grow up as well.

My general observation is - why are all of our high-rise districts near our airports? Downtown Phx, Downtown Tempe, and now this area. The only area that isn't off the end of any runway is the Biltmore area, and then you have NIMBYs there keeping the height limits artifically low. Even the new high-rise area project on the Paradaise Ridge area will be subject to height restrictions from Scottsdale Airport more than likely...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 8:05 AM

There is now a website up for The Districts at Zanjero:

http://www.districtsatzanjero.com/theProject.aspx

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 6:19 PM

I'm thinking this thread should be renamed the West Valley Development Thread. Or, something along those lines, since it's already got a running start on the area's development news ...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2006, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Thunderbird, Pt. 1 of 2

Thunderbird to become live/work school
'Changing dynamic' spurs plan

Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 30, 2006

The Thunderbird business school will take the first step today to transform its Glendale campus into an education-based urban village to meet the growing needs of its 1,000 students, faculty and staff members.

Preliminary plans call for shrinking the campus' educational core to about 40 acres and ringing it with a 175-room hotel, hundreds of live/work units, upscale apartments, office space, stores and restaurants.

Officials today will request that the city amend its General Plan to allow for the new uses, said John Berry, a land-use attorney representing the internationally ranked business school.

In about three weeks, the school at Greenway Road and 59th Avenue will request that the property be rezoned.

Construction could begin on vacant parcels at the 150-acre campus as early as next year. Officials at Thunderbird, the Garvin School of International Management, could not say Thursday when the project would be completed.

The changes are being proposed in response to a demographic shift at the school, Chief Operating Officer Tim Propp said.

The university's more than 600 full-time students hail from more than 60 countries. The school's leadership courses, consortiums and other non-degree programs are attracting a growing number of foreign executives. And the school is seeing more students who are married and have children.

"We've got a changing dynamic," Propp said.

Because of that, school officials want to partner with private developers to create places on campus for full-time and visiting students to work, shop, eat and sleep.

Executive apartments could be leased on a long- or short-term basis. For-sale units would provide residents with an upstairs living space and a downstairs study or office.

Some of the housing units could be rented or owned by employees at the nearby Banner Thunderbird Medical Center, which is bulking up its staff.

The project would be built in several phases. First, vacant land along the eastern and southern edges of the property would be developed. When new apartments and for-sale units were built out, the school would redevelop existing student housing complexes, a 65-room hotel and other older buildings on the northwestern corner of the site.

Pedestrian and bicycle paths would be created to better link housing, shops and other spaces with the school's center.

Councilman Steve Frate, whose Sahuaro District includes Thunderbird, said Glendale would work in concert with the school to help realize what he characterized as a "quality infill project."

"It is a priority; it is a project that has a lot of merit to it," Frate said. "I will do whatever I can to help them, and the city will, too."

Old Posted Jul 4, 2006, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Thunderbird, Pt. 2 of 2

Thunderbird seeks input on urban village
School to use visits, fliers, open houses

Scott Wong and Erin Zlomek
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 30, 2006

With plans under way to transform the Thunderbird business school's campus into an urban village, school officials will now focus on gathering feedback from students, nearby residents and other community members.

That effort will include going door to door to speak with neighbors, mailing out fliers and hosting on-campus open houses to gather input.

"We've been a member of the neighborhood for 60 years," Thunderbird spokeswoman Carol Sunnucks said. "We want to make sure anything we do moving forward is something in line with what the community wants and what is best for the community, not just what's best for school."

To collect public comments, Thunderbird, the Garvin School of International Management, has hired Technical Solutions, a Phoenix firm specializing in community outreach.

The school's proposal involves circling the 40-acre campus core with a 175-room hotel, hundreds of live/work units, upscale apartments, offices, stores and restaurants.

The graduate school asked Friday that the city amend its General Plan to allow for the new land uses. Later this month, the school, at Greenway Road and 59th Avenue, will ask that the property be rezoned.

In the past, officials have batted down rumors that they planned to abandon the Glendale campus for a site in Scottsdale or other parts of the Valley.

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said Friday that Thunderbird's planning efforts demonstrate its commitment to remain in the city.

"This is an indication that they have made a decision to keep with the history, tradition and the city of Glendale," she said. "We are happy that Thunderbird has decided to stay on campus and reutilize it to fit the needs of today's students."

Students and recent alumni said the proposed project would bring the school more positive exposure.

"Our options here are a little bit limited in terms of food and the hours (of operation) and the diversity of what is offered," said Warren Donian, who graduated in May from Thunderbird's MBA program. "If they're going to bring in some nice restaurants and some other developments to spruce things up a bit, I think that's a needed change for the campus."

The prospect of more on-campus housing options scored points with first-year student Daniel Feferbaum. He said some students find the school's traditional dorm-style housing inconvenient and opt for more-accommodating apartment complexes off campus.

"For me, the only problem on campus is that you need to share the restroom with another person," Feferbaum said. "And I don't like sharing a room."

Feferbaum, a student from Brazil, said the live/work combination especially appealed to him.

"Because you are in contact with the school community, professors, students, there would be a lot of opportunities to develop projects together," he said.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 6:24 AM

So, I guess this is our West Valley thread eh?

Question - while at Banner Thunderbird Hospital last week (kiddo #2 arrived!) I noticed that they are building a new 'tower' there. Seems to be twice the height of the existing 'towers' (which are 4 stories), but was hard to tell from the rendering. Anyone know just how tall this will be? Starting digging around on the City of Glendale site, but didn't find anything.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox
... while at Banner Thunderbird Hospital last week (kiddo #2 arrived!) ...
^ Your kiddo #2?

Big congratulations guy! Boy or girl?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 6:56 PM

Thx!

Daughter #2 arrived on June 27th. My other daughter is just over 2 years old. I figure I have about 10 - 12 years to enjoy the 'relative calm' until the teen years set in...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2006, 2:24 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...3/daily31.html

Cardinals Stadium slated for 2009 March Madness action
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 2:36 PM MST Thursday by Diane Arthur The Business Journal

A big-time money event is coming to the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale, state officials are saying, as a bit of March Madness is headed this way.

The Business Journal has learned that in March 2009 the new stadium will host the NCAA Men's College Basketball Regional Tournament.

"We like to believe that it is a precursor to hosting a men's Final Four in 2012," Ted Ferris, president and chief executive of the Arizona Sports Authority told the Phoenix Business Journal Wednesday. "That's the first year that's available, as the NCAA has awarded the Men's Final Four all the way out to 2011."

In terms of hotel stays, "this is very similar to a Super Bowl, where they (teams) put in a four night minimum on a hotel stay at hotels designated for teams and alumni," added Ferris.

Four teams will come here for the event and their fans will need to book hotel rooms too.

And starting in 2009, the NCAA will go to a center-field configuration. "Instead of pushing the court to one end of the stadium, where you seat 40,000 to 50,000 people, this will place the court in the middle of the stadium with floor chairs around it and with the permanent seats in the stadium, you're able to sit up to 80,000 people," said Ferris.

Ferris said this event could carry a Super Bowl-level economic impact of $300 million to $400 million.

Also, US Airways Center in Phoenix will host the NCAA Men's College Basketball Regionals on March 27-29, 2008.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 2:31 AM

Post New thread debut, eh?

Improved Grand Avenue is reopening
Underpass to ease traffic at city center

Louie Villalobos
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 7, 2006

A Thursday morning ribbon-cutting ceremony made it official. Grand Avenue is once again open for business in Glendale.

The $26 million project to install an overpass and trim Grand Avenue to four fast-moving lanes has been completed. Officials at the ceremony said that starting Monday, motorists making their way through Glendale can expect a smoother commute with fewer traffic lights.

Specifically, the 59th Avenue and Glendale Avenue intersection, which had been crossed by Grand Avenue, is now an overpass. That eliminated the traffic lights on Grand at that intersection.

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said the project will also make driving on Grand safer and more environmentally friendly. Before the improvements, Scruggs said, the six-lane road was known for constant stop-and-go traffic that flooded the air with exhaust fumes.

"Grand Avenue had become an air-quality nightmare," she said. "All the intersections had wait times greater than twice the length of any other signals in Maricopa County."

A look on a regional map reveals Grand Avenue is the only major roadway that connects the Northwest Valley to downtown Phoenix. In the process, it cuts through five West Valley cities or communities.

That makes it one of the most important roadways in a region that is outpacing the rest of the Valley in residential growth, according to recently released U.S. census figures.

Improvements like the Glendale project are trying to upgrade Grand Avenue to an expressway with limited traffic signals.

"All that translates to more mobility," Glendale Transportation Director Jamsheed Mehta said. "People live in one city and work in another one. You can't expect them to travel long distances on streets with signal lights."

So Thursday's ribbon-cutting had an importance that goes far beyond ceremony, officials said. It marks the first of several planned improvements for the road as it travels farther west.

There are plans to widen Grand between 83rd and 99th avenues, then again from 99th Avenue to the Loop 303 in separate projects. Those are scheduled to happen through 2009.

In Glendale, Grand Avenue had the capacity to move 30,000 vehicles a day before the renovations. With them in place, it will handle up to 60,000, Mehta said.

If the renovations attract the amount of motorists Mehta believes they will, that capacity could be reached soon.

If cities and the Arizona Department of Transportation fail to give commuters the attention, Mehta said, residential roads will continue to see cut-though traffic. He said a motorist driving from Surprise to Phoenix can take only so many delays related to traffic lights.

"Some of them have been on the roads for many miles and have discovered a short cut through a residential area," he said.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 9:23 AM

Goodyear cuts list of potential schools
Rebekah Sanders
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 15, 2006

Efforts to bring a private university to Goodyear are down to a list of five.

The southwest Valley city initiated the recruitment process months ago and has finally narrowed the pool of contenders from nine to five. Sealing a deal could benefit countless students, who have few higher-education options in the fast-growing area.

"We're going to live, work and play, and now we're going to educate in Goodyear," City Councilwoman Georgia Lord said. "That's a formula for sustainability."

All five schools offer accredited bachelor's programs, athletics, federal financial aid and a reputation for supporting the community through volunteer work, said Kelly Dalton, who manages the university project for Goodyear.

Three offer graduate programs, and three are Catholic schools.

The largest candidate is University of the Incarnate Word, based in San Antonio. It has about 5,400 undergraduate and graduate students, with extension campuses in China and Mexico.

The oldest one, Burlington, Vt.-based Champlain College, was founded in 1878.

The presidents of Alma College of Alma, Mich., and Notre Dame College of South Euclid, Ohio, as well as Incarnate Word's provost, have visited Goodyear. They toured the city and met with developers, business leaders and city officials to discuss how their campuses would fit in.

Presidents from the remaining two, Champlain College and the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Ill., hope to visit before summer ends.

Vice Mayor Frank Cavalier said a higher-education school will put Goodyear on the map.

Mayor James Cavanaugh said the decision to recruit private universities is not just uncommon, it is extraordinary, noting the universities had never been approached in this way.

The Chronicle of Higher Education this week published an article about Goodyear's university search and noted that officials in Lake Havasu City, in western Arizona, have talked with Northern Arizona University about opening a branch there.

The next step: a six- to eight-week market study Goodyear has commissioned to gauge the demand for a small, liberal arts college in Arizona, and figure out tuition rates and educational programs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest