HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 6:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
I cant seem to get past the fact that we had the jets in winnipeg, but now we dont.. why didnt it work 13 years ago..
Oh Please

.... the city was in a complete disarray ... nobody could agree with anyone and the lefties were hard-set against everything to do with the team.
The Free Press editorial board was dead set against it .. it was a lost cause ... and a miracal was needed to save the team.

It required very strong leadship and there was very little available... No arena was built... so the team left town..

... then

they built a new arena... and now we have our AHL Moose.

It would be funny if it weren't so painful.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 13, 2009 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 6:26 AM
Capitalist

It was a very high cost ....

but in some ways the city learnt a very valueable lesson ....

DUMMY UP STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has gone down as the city's biggest blunder in its history.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 3:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww yes the 90's by far the worst decade

though alot the blows that lead to the 90s were done in the 80's by the province from what i understand...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 7:54 PM
Youth of a Nation

I'd like to know where that picture came from.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 7:56 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I'd like to know where that picture came from.
Probably Edmonton based on the Oilers jerseys?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
high expectations

it was on the first page of yahoo images, from this guys flickr

Last edited by J-MAN; Jan 14, 2009 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:25 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww yes the 90's by far the worst decade

though alot the blows that lead to the 90s were done in the 80's by the province from what i understand...
If you ask me the city had lacked serious leadship since the 50's... as the city has seriously tried to centrally manage the city, while ignoring private investment. Over that time Winnipeg saw its status continuously decline, handed away to city's with visions to embrace enterprise... and the image of the city also declined greatly in this period, as many looked for opportunity else where.

Until recently this was still the case.. I think enough people finally got fed up.... but lately the city has refocused on building whats important, which is the local economy and the city's image. Confidence in the city is growing, as is the population in proportions not seen in a very long time. We are now starting to reap the benefits of these new policies.

Of course there is a long way to go ... but I am very pleased with the overall direction the city is going. I just hope there will be room for another capitalist when the time is right.

Oh and of course the return of our NHL team.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:42 AM
Youth of a Nation

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:23 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
If you ask me the city had lacked serious leadship since the 50's... as the city has seriously tried to centrally manage the city, while ignoring private investment. Over that time Winnipeg saw its status continuously decline, handed away to city's with visions to embrace enterprise... and the image of the city also declined greatly in this period, as many looked for opportunity else where.
Maybe, but it is difficult to see how the centre of gravity in the Western Canadian economy wasn't bound to shift westward no matter what was going on in Winnipeg's City Hall. The 1973 Oil Crisis was a final and devastating blow to Winnipeg's pre-eminence, turning Alberta into a boom economy and allowing Calgary to supplant Winnipeg as a banking and corporate finance centre. Not much a few local politicians in Winnipeg could have done about that. From what I recollect of the ICEC-dominated Winnipeg city council of the 60s and 70s, it was extremely developer-friendly, which is how most of downtown got wrecked and perhaps why some of the "seniors" of today aren't wild about certain new development proposals.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
The Finnish Flash is looking a little out of shape these days..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 2:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
that dude looks familiar...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 5:29 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Maybe, but it is difficult to see how the centre of gravity in the Western Canadian economy wasn't bound to shift westward no matter what was going on in Winnipeg's City Hall. The 1973 Oil Crisis was a final and devastating blow to Winnipeg's pre-eminence, turning Alberta into a boom economy and allowing Calgary to supplant Winnipeg as a banking and corporate finance centre. Not much a few local politicians in Winnipeg could have done about that. From what I recollect of the ICEC-dominated Winnipeg city council of the 60s and 70s, it was extremely developer-friendly, which is how most of downtown got wrecked and perhaps why some of the "seniors" of today aren't wild about certain new development proposals.
Winnipeg was very slow to gravitate back to the business based economy (as it was during the boom periods).. it instead floated into some form of stagnant melais. Sleeping for decades while other cities were busy supporting the enhancing there business community. Meanwhile Winnipeg, perhaps in a state of proud overconfidence, did nothing and ended up watching numerous corporations move there offices out of he city, and other city's business community grew over a long period of strong national economic growth. It was during this period that the city lost a great deal including its status as one of the big 4, to rapidly declining to the top 8... while corporate jobs fled at a very quick rate.

You can say what you want about Calgary, but it is ultimately the failure of the city of Winnipeg to work at its own economic growth, which was the failure of our city leaders, and resulted in the problems we see today. By the time the 70's rolled around there were an evident lost sense of the importance of sustainable economic growth, as city debt ballooned to pay for unsustainable government models.... reinforced by growing tax levels, pushing the city further away from being competitive. Meanwhile other city's benefitted greatly from Winnipeg's omittion of leadership over that period.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:04 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The Finnish Flash is looking a little out of shape these days..
He is on the Injured Reserve (and won't be coming off any time soon by the looks of it )

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 4:38 PM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Gretzky confirms Coyotes in trouble

Gretzky confirms Coyotes in trouble

MATTHEW SEKERES

January 16, 2009

VANCOUVER -- Phoenix Coyotes head coach Wayne Gretzky confirmed yesterday that the troubled NHL franchise requires financial assistance and is seeking an investor who could help keep the team in Arizona.

The Coyotes could lose as much as $45-million (all currency U.S.) this season, including interest payments, and owner Jerry Moyes is looking for a partner. He also is speaking to city officials in Glendale about the lease arrangement at the community-owned Jobing.com Arena.

Yesterday, when Gretzky was asked whether the owner could continue to operate the club, given its losses, he deferred queries to Moyes. But Gretzky, the club's coach and managing partner, also signalled that Moyes requires investment in the franchise and financial relief from the city of Glendale.

"I don't think it is any big secret that Mr. Moyes has asked for new partners or investors," Gretzky said. "Mr. Moyes is doing the best he can in working with the city and city officials. Our responsibility is to come, show up and play, and play the best we can."

Since The Globe and Mail began documenting the Coyotes' economic woes last month, no one from the club's management had confirmed that it was seeking financial help.

A TSN report on Wednesday said that as much as 80 per cent of the team is expected to be sold in the next two months, and that Moyes would retain as much as 20 per cent. Barring a sale, the club could be forced into bankruptcy proceedings. It is possible the Coyotes could be disbanded or moved out of Phoenix before next season.
The Coyotes entered a game against the Vancouver Canucks last night in seventh place, a playoff spot, in the Western Conference.

The team is trying to snap a seven-year postseason drought behind a youth movement that features seven players who are 22 or younger.

"The older players definitely don't let [the financial trouble] be a distraction, but the younger players don't understand it, maybe," said defenceman Derek Morris, the team's union representative. "We realize that things aren't good, but they are still treating us first-class here. They're allowing us to play hockey."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:01 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

i like this line - It is possible the Coyotes could be disbanded or moved out of Phoenix before next season.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:49 PM
BANNED

In terms of a sound new home for the Coyote's only three destinations come to mind: southern Ontario, Seattle and Winnipeg. Some of the experts think hockey would fly in Kansas City, Houston or Las Vegas but their fate would be much like the Coyotes and Predators ( and Lightning, Thrashers, etc.)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:09 PM

I don't think those three cities are the only ones where it would work. I'd argue Kansas City has all the pieces in place for a successful team. They actually GET winter there, they have a downtown arena, not some far-flung suburban barn that loses relevancy with the city. Also, the Coyotes are poised to be a much better performing team in a couple of years. A new team that makes the playoffs early on will get KC excited. They're pretty starved for a team that they can rally behind. I think they're a market that would quickly embrace hockey (much the same way Dallas has).

I also wonder why everyone overlooks Salt Lake City. That's a winter city if there ever was one. Just under 2 million metro population, one pro franchise competing at the same time of year as them (Jazz), and their population base is young and wealthy. I think they could easily handle another.

Obviously I'd rank Winnipeg and Southern Ontario ahead of these US options, but I don't think KC, SLC, or Seattle would be bad decisions.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:55 PM

[QUOTE=0773|=\;4030224]I don't think those three cities are the only ones where it would work. I'd argue Kansas City has all the pieces in place for a successful team. QUOTE]

I though Kansas City potential owner (boots belagio (sp?)) is in serious trouble with the tax police and is close to bankruptcy. it think they are off the radar because of that

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 8:43 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

boots will likely be going to the bighouse for fraud.....

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:43 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
In terms of a sound new home for the Coyote's only three destinations come to mind: southern Ontario, Seattle and Winnipeg. Some of the experts think hockey would fly in Kansas City, Houston or Las Vegas but their fate would be much like the Coyotes and Predators ( and Lightning, Thrashers, etc.)
Seattle? i know the Sonics just left, but they have WHL filling the hockey void...Southern Ontario has the Leafs, Wings, and Sabres.

so, the only obvious choice without moving it to a novelty market (Las Vegas) or a non hockey market (KC or Houston) would be Winnipeg

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan