HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
Another game, another couple of crucial errors, and another lousy pitcher doing his impression of Cy Young. All adds up to another Jays loss.
I'm sorry - but last night's loss has nothing to do with the pitching of Happ

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
Beefeater

I thought it would have been rather obvious that I wasn't talking about Happ. Since it wasn't; I was talking about Tillman, the starter with an ERA over 7, that three hit the Jays over 7+ innings.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:51 PM
GQMF

What a frustrating season thus far.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:21 PM

There was a glimmer of something last night...not sure what, though.

I suppose the tone was set with Lawrie's throwing error in the 2nd inning. Again, defense playing a role in a Jays' loss.

Having played the game, I know how hard it is to hit a ball travelling at 75 mph let alone 90, but sweet baby Jesus, why are Rasmus and Arencibia striking out so much?! It's getting ridiculous.

We'll see if they can salvage a win tonight.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:35 AM

So the Jays finish April at 10-17. I'd say most Jays' fans are a little stunned at this point.

Is it too early to start looking at what they're going to have to do the rest of the way to even get a sniff at the post-season? I think most would agree that 90 wins is the absolute minimum a team could expect to get into the playoffs with. So, 80-55 the rest of the way - that's a .593 winning percentage. Possible? Sure. Probable? Not likely. I have a feeling that come September they'll be looking back at April and saying, 'Damn, if only we'd won a few more games.'

It's also interesting to watch the struggles of both LA-based teams. Both coming into the season with high expectations and both failing to achieve any level of success to date. Washington's also playing poorly. It happens and I don't think anybody's counting those teams out yet, so perhaps I should go easy on the Jays.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:27 PM

BTW, who's been the biggest disappointment for the Jays to date? Upbeat discussion, I know. Anyway...

For me, Johnson and Morrow have been surprisingly poor so far. I felt, and still feel, that they'll have big years but so far, not so good.

I didn't have big expectations for Bonifacio but damn, he doesn't look like he belongs in the majors: He shouldn't be allowed to play anywhere in the infield; his hitting is diabolical; and in spite of his great speed, he hasn't even stolen a base. I guess his career stats don't lie - he isn't actually the second coming of Jackie Robinson. Surprise, surprise.

I'm also a little disappointed in Bautista. He, at least in terms of what he says, doesn't appear to be too concerned about the Jays' situation. I'd much prefer he talk about how shitty they're playing and how important it is they turn things around soon. But all he says - publicly - is that everything will be fine and that it's a long season, etc. I guess that's his personality. Full stop.

Cabrera's not looking too good either. I haven't heard anything about this, but I suspect he's nursing some sort of injury. He'd better be, anyway - something has to explain his poor play.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:19 PM

I think Bautista is just not panicking and as the de facto leader of the team, by remaining calm, composed and confident, he's helping the rest of the team look calm, composed and confident.

I think we could easily have a .593 winning percentage from here on out, but so far nothing I've seen has made me particularly hopeful. Yesterday was a big win, but we still just barely scratched it out. It wasn't a great performance.

I've kind of given up on expecting this team to make the playoffs but still find myself watching games as this season was so hyped and I haven't really had my baseball fix yet. I also feel like another shoe is gonna drop.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:50 PM

Note that last time the Jays won only 10 games in April they went 21-8 in the month of May. Now I'm not saying this will happen again. I'm just saying it is too early to panic. A sweep of the Red Sox would go a long way in boosting the confidence of this team.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 1:06 AM

^Absolutely. They could win 17 or 18 games in May and be right back at .500 heading into June. I suspect something like that will happen.

There's something about a team of under-performing stars, though, that makes me nervous. Where do they get their motivation from? They're all-stars; they've already 'earned' lots of money. The Yankees do it year in and year out because of, at least in some small part, the pride a player feels when he puts on those pinstripes. That and horrendous media pressure I suppose. How does that work in Toronto?

I'm also worried about the chemistry on the team. I know it's cliché to talk about that but from the outside looking in, I don't see much cohesion there. The Latin players are all friends and have their own routines and rituals and language - this is nothing new, I know - and then there's the rest. I just don't get the impression that this is a 'team' in the truest sense of the word. In team sport, you play for each other, don't you? That's your motivation. Again, other teams have won in various sports without liking each other but in their current state, it worries me a little.

BTW, 4-10 against their division rivals thus far. Year after year, it's the same old tune.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 5:56 PM

Romero is back starting tomorrow against Seattle. Oh dear. Desperation on the part of the Jays?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 1:02 AM

^And the media is accusing pitchers of cheating! Yeah, I'd say desperation is setting in in Jays' land. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/red...octoring-ball/

All of this is really unfortunate because if the losses continue AA will be left with no choice but to make changes. Inasmuch as he'd like to fire his players, he'll be left with only one option - fire the manager. I hope it doesn't happen but it's about the only thing a GM can do in these cases. We shall see.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:07 PM

Upcoming games:

3 - Seattle (home)
4 - TB (away)
3 - Boston (away)

If they don't win at least five of these games somebody's gettin' fired. This can't go on.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:38 PM

If they really care about making the playoffs they need to win 8 of them.
I hate cheering for someone to get fired but i don't like the way Encarnacion looks at Gibbons. Is there something there?

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 8:34 AM

^I hadn't noticed that. Encarnacion isn't a terribly cheerful guy though, and he doesn't speak much English. Communication is, no doubt, an issue on this team.

Anyway, I like John Gibbons. Their horrible start has little to do with him, just as a great start would also have little to do with him. However, he will get fired and that's a shame.

Given the nature of this team, perhaps a known Latin American manager needs to be brought in. Is Felipe Alou still alive? Ozzie Guillen maybe? Managed Miami last year, so maybe it would be a little weird to bring him in to Toronto now. At the very least, they need a guy who can speak Spanish - perhaps that will bring the club together.

I'll say it again, the Jays started the '89 season 12-24, fired Jimy 'one m' Williams and then went 77-49 the rest of the way with Cito. It could happen.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 9:26 PM

I don't want to see anyone fired, and it can't all be down to Gibbons why so many players are under-performing. There's some element that's down to him, but that's more like one or two runs in a game when the Jays are already down by 7-8 runs. The 3rd base coach seems too keen to hold the runner at 3rd and not even try for the score. Perfect example today in the 9th. When you're already losing by 7 runs and the bats aren't performing, at least try for a run. I'd rather see an out like that trying to score than the next batter coming up and grounding out to first.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:23 AM

^Sure, but if the team continues to slide like this AA has to make some kind of move. And we all know that usually involves the manager getting fired. What else can you do?

Yes, the Jays have one of the worst performing offenses and their pitching is a nightmare but you can't trade them all. I mean, who knew that all of Dickey, Buehrle, Johnson and Morrow would tank at the same time? You had to think that at least two of them would get off to good starts but all four of them sucking? I've never seen anything quite like it.

AA really went out on a limb by hiring Gibbons, everyone will recall, so a quick firing would really hurt AA's image both inside and outside the organisation. I just don't have any other ideas, though.

For further reference to the '89 Jays, they didn't get back to .500 until 23 June. And it wasn't until mid-August that they managed to get well above that mark. Also, something that hasn't been mentioned in regards to that club is the effect that moving into Skydome had on the team. As I recall, it was a massive boost to both players and fans. The stadium was a great novelty, every game sold out, so that must have helped pull the team out of the basement.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; May 5, 2013 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:24 PM

I think it's time to call up Negrych to pay 2nd base and send down Bonifacio:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509572/1004

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 11:24 PM

I have been disappointed with Bonifacio. He did little today either offensively or defensively.
Izturis hasn't been too bad. Not good, and definitely not stellar, but not bad. I would think he would be an adequate squad member on the bench.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:25 AM

My guess is Negrych will see a little time at 2B this year. He's had a good career in the minors to date (.302 over 7+ seasons) but has yet to get a sniff at the major league level - no idea why that might be. Anyway, he's not likely to be the answer the Jays woes but it wouldn't hurt to get him into the lineup.

I do agree with you that, perhaps, Bonifacio should be sent down. As I said before, he doesn't look like he belongs in the bigs. That, or relegate him to the bench and use him as a pinch runner.

In terms of 2B, my guess is Izturis will turn things around both offensively and defensively - he's an above-average defender and he's a lifetime .270 hitter. If not, there's always the option of moving Lawrie to second. He's played a lot of ball at that position, so it wouldn't be a big transition for him. That's an idea I'm starting to warm to more and more. We shall see.

BTW, Lawrie's starting to remind me of a young Jeff Kent. If he produces half of what Kent did he'll still be a star.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I imagine Izturis could turn it around later this season. Personally I think it would be a bad move taking Lawrie to 2B. He's too good at 3B to lose him from that position. His fielding and throws are amongst the best in the league at that position.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto