HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Any idea where this will be located?
The ad for their open house in the IG says 919 17th ave SW.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 5:59 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Yeah, the water rowers aren't actually that expensive.

Not sure if McMurph was joking, but I doubt we'll be seeing a glut of rowers on the market in 6 months.

For one thing, Calgarians gobble up new fitness trends like no where else in Canada; I have no doubt there will be enough people who will give rowing a try (if only 'cause "it's cool").

Secondly, and most importantly, the economics of these fitness class places are insane. I mean cash cows. Like, cash flow like a m-f'er.

Anyways, I think they'll be ok...
You are pretty spot on with this.

Anyway, back to the food end of things I went to Cafe Momoko in Westsprings, just off Old Banff Coach Road. The place is a stunning example of a really well executed mom and pop shop. They serve a mix of Japanese and Korean BBQ. The quality of the food is awesome and it is all delivered by Moon, the owner. He has such an amazing personality. They definitely aim to please. I was sick with a cold so I had the spicy pork Ramen. Moon told me the broth would make me cry. It was legit spicy, but so rich and flavourful. My wife had the Udon soup. Also served in an amazing rich broth. The sushi we had was perfection if you ask me. I preface this by saying that I am not an expert but it is the most positive experience that I have had a small sushi joint in a long time.

Last edited by Innersoul1; Feb 2, 2016 at 6:05 PM. Reason: Food

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
That's an interesting one. I'm wondering if LoungeBurger is closing? That building is Stampede Station and it would seem odd to have Carls Jr. right next to another burger place. I'd love to see it in Alura though - I live in that building and am a bit frustrated by the vacant retail spaces.
I contacted Carl's JR about when the 2 locations are expected to be open and they contacted me back saying May/June opening for the 32 ave NE location and no date set for the Stampede Station SE just yet

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:14 PM
power to the people!

I have a feeling they're just converting the Arby's in each area like they did on 16th.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I have a feeling they're just converting the Arby's in each area like they did on 16th.

ha ha... you are smart

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Makes sense. Stand alone building with ample parking. I'm really surprised that Arby's has stuck around for as long as it has. I think they stay afloat by the revenue they generate with parking during the Stampede.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Any idea where this will be located?
It's that last empty retail space along the west side of Hanson Square.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 8:14 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
It's that last empty retail space along the west side of Hanson Square.
AWESOME!!

Hoping my knee heals up so I can do some classes there. It's like 2 blocks from me.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 8:50 PM
Canadian Urbanite

edit - whoops. I see the question was answered.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Makes sense. Stand alone building with ample parking. I'm really surprised that Arby's has stuck around for as long as it has. I think they stay afloat by the revenue they generate with parking during the Stampede.
yup, went to the Arby's on 32nd ave NE and the guy said they are closing in 2 months and that Carl's JR is taking over in JUNE

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:43 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Damn, I MUCH prefer Arby's to Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr is 100% McDonalds with some fancier toppings. The patties are indistinguishable.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
The ad for their open house in the IG says 919 17th ave SW.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/919...1ea2eb!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Also explains why they haven't sunk a dime into that Arby's. That store has seen much better days.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post

Anyway, back to the food end of things I went to Cafe Momoko in Westsprings, just off Old Banff Coach Road. The place is a stunning example of a really well executed mom and pop shop. They serve a mix of Japanese and Korean BBQ. The quality of the food is awesome and it is all delivered by Moon, the owner. He has such an amazing personality. They definitely aim to please. I was sick with a cold so I had the spicy pork Ramen. Moon told me the broth would make me cry. It was legit spicy, but so rich and flavourful. My wife had the Udon soup. Also served in an amazing rich broth. The sushi we had was perfection if you ask me. I preface this by saying that I am not an expert but it is the most positive experience that I have had a small sushi joint in a long time.
Quoted for truth! Been here lots and it's amazing!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Via Cibo opened today evening, and I was there within the first three hours or so. We had the chicken egg drop soup, braised beef and chicken, spinach and goat cheese flatbread sandwich. All were better than I had expected. Will certainly be going back!

Much better than the enhanced mcdonalds experiences many have been talking about with carl's jr.

Last edited by suburbia; Feb 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 4:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for mentioning Momoko. The GF and I went there on Friday and had a great time.

I also had the spicy pork Ramen and it was as spicy AF, but very tasty. As tasty as it was, I'm glad that I only ate half the broth though.

Moon was f'n awesome. Nothing but personality. We also had some sashimi and a rainbow roll and my GF had a some type of Korean Chicken bowl, can't remember the name but it was also on point. We had more than we could eat and the tab came to $50 with no booze. Would definitely go back.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:37 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning Momoko. The GF and I went there on Friday and had a great time.

I also had the spicy pork Ramen and it was as spicy AF, but very tasty. As tasty as it was, I'm glad that I only ate half the broth though.

Moon was f'n awesome. Nothing but personality. We also had some sashimi and a rainbow roll and my GF had a some type of Korean Chicken bowl, can't remember the name but it was also on point. We had more than we could eat and the tab came to $50 with no booze. Would definitely go back.
I was there on Friday night too. Maybe you saw me? Had two kids with me and was wearing a scarf. Hard to miss a guy in a scarf

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I was there on Friday night too. Maybe you saw me? Had two kids with me and was wearing a scarf. Hard to miss a guy in a scarf
There was a table with two kids, but it was two couples and no scarf. We didn't get there until 7.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Corbeaux space looks to have been leased as for lease signage down, construction signage up. Trolley Five Brewery next door working on second floor.

Nando's opening on 17th ave within the H & R redevelopment building.

Cactus Club on Stephen Ave adding exterior improvements plus building a big wrap-around patio for the summer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:02 PM

Signage is up on Stephen Avenue in the space beside HMV and across the street from Earls for a place called Wise & Wright.

Cactus Club Stephen Avenue Patio looks like it's going to be huge!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation