HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 9:54 PM
scared of rain

I wouldn’t give too much credit to Bobby for the operations of the club since they made the jump. It is no coincidence that most of the players they brought in last season to bring with them to MLS are gone (Akloul and Wagner come to mind).

I think Bobby is more of a media spokesperson with an inflated title than actually someone calling the shots. It's his reward for all his hard working during the lean years.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
hehe, classic Vancouver fans. Especially considering it is their first year in the MLS.

The funny thing is i am far more turned off from the Canucks than I am the Whitecaps. The Canucks gave us so much hope and then gave us some of the worst games, if not the worst games in recent memory in the finals. The retarded riot afterwards did not help either.
I am frustrated with sports in general. The officiating in the Stanley Cup finals made me wonder why I bother caring at all. The Canucks' uninspired play in the final two games was just another kick in the crotch. I don't even really care about the riots - that was a government planning mistake.

I'll watch the occasional game when I'm bored now, since it's not like you can go outside in this city between October and May, but no more emotional investment. I'm burned.

That said, if I had to support one club, Whitecaps are at the top of the list.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 11:14 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I see it isn't enough to have Bobby on the radio restating that the Whitecaps will be one of the best 25 teams in the World (that's right the World ).
They've now placed it on the website in print.

Quote:
We have secured a Major League Soccer franchise, will relocate to a new home in downtown Vancouver in 2011, plan to open a world class training centre in 2012 and have invested significantly in British Columbia communities. The next phase is bolder and more ambitious. We aim to become one of the top 25 football clubs in the world. Vision 2014 will be launched shortly and will outline challenging goals and benchmarks.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/club/structure

Sure the teams in the EPL and La Liga have taken notice.

Probably as realistic as Vancouver being the Greenest city in the world. We might not be World class but we certainly have World class goals.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
Cheers!

Never hurts to set high goals. Maybe one day....

It's funny how some people are so quick to fall off the bandwagon in this town. For me, I'm just as engaged as I was at the start of the season. Why? Perhaps because I love the game, not the MLS standings. I don't rely on teams winning games to make me feel good. I'm just plain interested in the whole thing, whether they win or lose. I also understand this is the first year in MLS, and the caps have been hit with several roster issues over the season. So I can clearly see some of the problems they are struggling with. They are one or two steps from turning things around. They'll probably have one of the best youth development programs on the continent, if not now, then in a year or two. So look for more locally developed talent coming up soon.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:01 AM

Whitecaps are expected to announce Martin Rennie as the coach starting 2012 season and Soehn back to his original position prior to coaching. Whatever.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Whitecap...795/story.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:27 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Whitecaps are expected to announce Martin Rennie as the coach starting 2012 season and Soehn back to his original position prior to coaching. Whatever.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Whitecap...795/story.html
That would be a step up from Tom Soehn. Look up his track record as a coach. Pretty crazy. For sure he'll make some changes next season.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I see it isn't enough to have Bobby on the radio restating that the Whitecaps will be one of the best 25 teams in the World (that's right the World ).
They've now placed it on the website in print.
I think he means the top 25 soccer franchises in the world. (Don't quote me on that). The Glasgow Rangers were worth 194 million in 2009 and were ranked 25th most valuable soccer franchise in the world. Man U is tops at 1.86 billion. The Whitecaps should be worth around 200 million by 2014. Theoretically of course.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 3:59 PM
scared of rain

That top 25 thing is a very vague goal. They didn't say they they would be top 25 in match play.

It could be based on anything, franchise value, attendance, youth development, profitabilty, ummm most sponsor logos behind any media interview, best use of youtube, brightest whites...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 5:17 AM

I'm curious to see what kind of response the 'Caps get March 2012. It'll be interesting to see for sure, but we better not finish LAST after Montreal. Man, that would be embarassing, considering that they'll be the expansion club in 2012. I also hear that the league is looking to add one more team to make things even (an eastern team) - I'm thinking that NYC gets a second team after the Red Bulls (the Cosmos, perhaps?). Having a second team in NY is better than putting a team in Miami, or Atlanta (not sure if teams in those cities would do well, to be honest).

I'm also curious to see what kind of player acquisition(s) that the club has in mind. Surely, a team that finishes last needs to shake up their roster (not entirely - there are some core players to retain - Hassli, Tan, Chiumiento, Salgado, Duckett, Boxall, Brovsky, Nanchoff, Davies, Mitchell, Salinas, Sylvestre, Harvey, Tiebert, Harris, Rochat, DeMerit and Camilo). Everyone else has either got to go, or new additions (transfers, or through trades, etc), but the team cannot come back with the same roster, or else it's another LONG LONG season, and Barber and Co., will be crucified for not improving the roster.

IF they can win their last home game at BC Place, then it will at least allow positivity to build on for next season. I'm a fan of the 'Caps, but I'm also hoping that they have better results next year so that there is at least one other team to cheer (besides the Lions and Canucks). Thoughts on the upcoming off season?

I'm curious too, are they gonna increase the amount of games in MLS? Or are they going to stick with the 34 game schedule?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 5:28 AM

Is Salgado leaving for Europe, after this season??

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/m...january-092011

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 5:44 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure Salgado leaving would be bad for the team, I was pretty big on him but by the sounds of it his attitude is not there and he has a lot of growing up still to do. Quite a shame but it might be best for the team to go separate ways.
I think Cannon probably won't be back next year which is a shame, he's still better then Nolly and much more appreciated by the fans.
Think they need to spend some money on D and Midfield, might not be exciting but we need more wins next year.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Not sure Salgado leaving would be bad for the team, I was pretty big on him but by the sounds of it his attitude is not there and he has a lot of growing up still to do. Quite a shame but it might be best for the team to go separate ways.
I think Cannon probably won't be back next year which is a shame, he's still better then Nolly and much more appreciated by the fans.
Think they need to spend some money on D and Midfield, might not be exciting but we need more wins next year.
Shouldn't the 'Caps have known that maybe Salgado had attitude issues? This is a part of scouting, interviews, etc, no? IF Salgado does leave, that leaves Vancouver without a world-class potential young player (which they may have had with Omar). I think 'Caps management needs to share some of the blame too, in rushing the kid, wanting him to be a part of the 1st team before his 18th birthday.

On a side note, how does MLS as a league continue to grow, if all they do is lose young, promising players to Europe? And old, pass their prime players from Europe come over to MLS to play and earn considerable large sums of money (maybe not as much as Europe, but pretty significant numbers still). The only reason Salgado comes back to MLS, or any other "promising" young player is IF they can't crack, or aren't good enough to play in Europe. I don't know how MLS can grow if the league constantly and continues to lose it's best, promising, young players to European clubs. There has to be a way where the league can compete, no?

The 'Caps, it seems have made a bad decision on Omar. Their first ever draft pick. At this rate, they will be the Grizzlies of MLS. Fantastic. All we need is another Vancouver team with a FO (Front Office) who cannot draft, and has made some piss poor decisions this year. I'm not convinced that Soehn is the right man for his position within the organization. And I'm not convinced that Lenarduzzi or Barber are the men for the job in leading this organization to success, on international level, but also in MLS.

Martin Rennie has his hands full when he comes in. Surely he lasts the entire season next year? There's a lot more questions than answers. I'd like to see Rennie sit down with Omar and convince him to work hard, and be a part of the process of becoming an impact player in the league. I'd be sad to see Salgado go, as he is a promising player that the 'Caps can build around. Hassli isn't exactly a young man, and there's rumors that Camilo may be on his way out to Japan. Better get used to losing your promising young, good players Vancouver, cause maybe it all begins with Salgado, then Camilo, etc.

This organization seems to have similar trends that remind me of TFC. I pray I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 12:44 AM
Reason and Freedom

It looks like the movie about Jay DeMerit Rise and Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story has found a distributor. Here is the trailer on the Apple website:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...ydemeritstory/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 6:26 PM

Ugh. I wish the 'Caps didn't lose Brovsky. He was doing well nearing the end of the season. I'm curious why Rennie and staff decided to waive Khalfan and Duckett? Better be because they're close to signing a player to replace those guys.

The MLS off-season has kind of been...quiet, particularly on the 'Caps side of things.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 6:44 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Ugh. I wish the 'Caps didn't lose Brovsky. He was doing well nearing the end of the season. I'm curious why Rennie and staff decided to waive Khalfan and Duckett? Better be because they're close to signing a player to replace those guys.

The MLS off-season has kind of been...quiet, particularly on the 'Caps side of things.
i'm happy losing brovsky. if the WCs are going anywhere, they need midfielders. I kinda like khalfan and I thought he played a lot better at the end of the season.

I think when the dust settles, only 8-10 guys will remain. the transfer window starts in January and the season starts in April. I think all of the signings will happen in that period

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
i'm happy losing brovsky. if the WCs are going anywhere, they need midfielders. I kinda like khalfan and I thought he played a lot better at the end of the season.

I think when the dust settles, only 8-10 guys will remain. the transfer window starts in January and the season starts in April. I think all of the signings will happen in that period
really? why? i thought he provided some depth, and played well near the end of the season. i'm curious as to who they'll sign for their midfield position, and they also need some better goaltending. i don't know if nolly and cannon will do it. cannon is getting old - 36 years of age (37 this year?). we need better quality goaltending. syvlestre is probably not ready? or is he.

i thought the season started in march?

the 'caps have been under the radar thus far. and i wonder if the WC have an off-season training plan for their players, much like the Canucks do for their players when their off-season begins. they should, right?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 5:53 AM

Rumors that the 'Caps are pursuing Lee Young-Pyo

Here's the link:
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/1...lee-young-pyo/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 10:30 PM
victory in near

First game is March 10 against Montreal at BC Place.

and the WCs got the Korean. Lee Young-Pyo is now a 'cap

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 11:51 PM

Yep. They made it official with his signing today. Official introduction to Lee, tomorrow at a conference. Exciting times to be a 'Caps fan. I'm looking and expecting Rennie to continue to be active during the off-season. We're needing a goalie, and a midfielder. Cannon's not going to cut it, at 36. He's probably going to be a back-up, but we need a starting goaltender. Whose that going to be?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 7:25 PM

Darren Mattocks #2 Overall pick in SuperDraft 2012

Hey guys,

just wanted to post a link, for the 2012 SuperDraft. 'Caps took Darren Mattocks of Akron University. Unfortunate we didn't get Andrew Wenger (most complete, and best overall player in my opinion). But Mattocks, from all accounts, isn't a bad player. We'll see if he contributes more than Wenger does this year (doubt it).

It'll be interesting that the opening game of MLS season is 'Caps vs. Impact, hopefully, the two draft picks can showcase their stuff in that game. Exciting!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...685/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation