HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:47 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...spn=0,0.001647

Noticed this the other day when I walked from Place St Charles to Mr. B's for lunch.

It's the crappy "gift center" building on the left (river side) of The Children's Place store.

They seem to be doing a full blown renovation, but I haven't heard of or seen anything.

One less crappy gift store would be great though!

Sigh, the link thing is giving me trouble. Just copy and paste it into a browser then streetview it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
In Google Maps, just click the little "chain-link" icon at the top right, and use the uppermost of the two links that pop up.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 3:10 AM

"Got a sneak peak at the new 1031 canal .... Think you guys will really like it ."

is it any different than this:?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 3:18 AM
-

Yes its quite an improvement ... but it is basically the same massing!

I havent seen it in color yet but I can definitely say the bottom glass on the front canal side wraps around more on the new version to Rampart street. Also the tower is tiered from Canal..One other thing, the highest part of the tower is now 211 feet.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...spn=0,0.001647

Noticed this the other day when I walked from Place St Charles to Mr. B's for lunch.

It's the crappy "gift center" building on the left (river side) of The Children's Place store.

They seem to be doing a full blown renovation, but I haven't heard of or seen anything.

One less crappy gift store would be great though!

Sigh, the link thing is giving me trouble. Just copy and paste it into a browser then streetview it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Here's a better picture from Bing.com maps, and you can rotate the aerial angle 45 degrees:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzr...=b&form=LMLTCC

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:54 PM

Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Here's a better picture from Bing.com maps, and you can rotate the aerial angle 45 degrees:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzr...=b&form=LMLTCC
Wow, I hadn't used Bing maps...that's awesome. I like who it aggregates the whole block together and then you can zoom.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:33 AM

Any idea when the new renderings will be released???

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 2:01 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Any idea when the new renderings will be released???
Here you go!! Sorry about photo quality!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:33 AM

Wow. Very surprised. I've gone from lukewarm to very impressed.

Ha its kinda funny that the biggest changes in this design from the last released version could be described as evoking traditional New Orleans elements.The addition of balconies, the slanted corner door on the street retail, a camel back varied height. Just something I found funny...

Hope they get the materials right too. I think the redesign makes it look smarter, more well designed and delicate. I am a fan. It only has one more vote till they are officially approved?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post

Ha its kinda funny that the biggest changes in this design from the last released version could be described as evoking traditional New Orleans elements.The addition of balconies, the slanted corner door on the street retail, a camel back varied height. Just something I found funny...

Hope they get the materials right too. I think the redesign makes it look smarter, more well designed and delicate. I am a fan. It only has one more vote till they are officially approved?
Exactly its just a much better thought out proposal. Unfortunately, it still has a few votes to go through. HDLC vote which is guaranteed, and then the height waiver which comes from City Planning Commission and then on to the full City Council. HDLC cant grant waivers on their own but usually there is communication between the two departments. Basically, we just need to make sure and defeat Meg Lousteau and the VCPORA!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:15 AM

I agree, 1031 canal design much improved.

Gov. Bobby Jindal signs tax credit extension for Saenger Theatre, other historic buildings

Standing in the art deco entryway of the iconic Saenger Theatre, Gov. Bobby Jindal on Thursday signed a pair of bills that extend tax credits for the restoration of certain historic structures, including the Canal Street performance venue....

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ax_credit.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:16 AM

Quote:
The first two versions lacked any architectural style whatsoever. This third proposal looks like a magnum opus of 1970s architecture. It'll fit right in with the other highrises in that area between Canal and Tulane. It's either genius or insane and cruel.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
The first two versions lacked any architectural style whatsoever. This third proposal looks like a magnum opus of 1970s architecture. It'll fit right in with the other highrises in that area between Canal and Tulane. It's either genius or insane and cruel.
Execution of the materials and lighting will certainly help decide that!

On a side note I noticed a hint of 70s modern in many of the new midrises in Toronto as well.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
The addition of balconies, the slanted corner door on the street retail, a camel back varied height.
Yeah, I think you're right. It all works, except for the slanted door on the corner. That is not at all in keeping with the rest of the building, and it should be axed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:40 AM

Quote:

Definitely better than the last design; but with this newer, more complex design has a couple quirks, in my opinion.

I like the setback from Canal Street, the balconies, the awning along Rampart Street, and the fact that it's 211' tall.

Not a big fan of the unsymmetric roof-sweep-over-thing one one side, the unsymmetric vertical wall on the right side of the front facade, and the checkerboard pattern of different color glass on the front.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you're right. It all works, except for the slanted door on the corner. That is not at all in keeping with the rest of the building, and it should be axed.
The corner door definitely seems out of place to me as well, like a cute idea gone wrong.

Also, we need to see the plans for all 4 angles, as the FQ side of this building is as important as the Canal Street side.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:03 AM
-

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:41 PM

The CITY....dum dum duuumm..

Seemingly random question...I'll explain later...

If someone is referring to the "risk" department in City Hall who and how do I contact to get to that department? As in, liability, insurances (or lack thereof) etc.

I need to get through to them on an issue...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:16 PM

Isnt the first floor supposed to be retail? Is it street facing retail or inside the lobby retail? If its the latter, FAIL...if the former...ok good. It just looks like an odd design on the street level

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
Isnt the first floor supposed to be retail? Is it street facing retail or inside the lobby retail? If its the latter, FAIL...if the former...ok good. It just looks like an odd design on the street level
Looks like the residential entrance is facing Rampart, and it has a carriage drive for dropoffs. There are also 2 street-level retail spaces on Rampart and on Iberville respectively, as well as the multi-level retail space facing Canal.

The multi-level space looks too small to land a department store as Kailas was hoping, but it may be big enough for a smaller store like H&M. It's also a very open, multi-level space, which seems to be H&M's preferred setup.

H&M in Atlanta and Chicago has big appeal to middle-class teens and 20-somethings across all races and ethnicities, so it should do fairly well in NOLA, unlike some other, more exclusive brands.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:05 PM
-

yeah I think the main space would be around the size of your average H&M or Barneys !

BTW you welcome everyone for me getting these for you to look at! )))

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations