HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:58 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It has all come down to one word vs. another between Durst and Childs - obviously Durst has an ego behind him and will not subscribe to any notion of being in the wrong on this. It is what it is at this point, we're on the homestretch.
Yeah, I admit I am pretty brazen for saying it, but Durst is a real piece of shit. He can take that piece of garbage excuse of stick he calls a spire and stick it up his @$$... I have no love for that malcontent. Hasn't brought squat to this project whatsoever, or at least anything worth a damn...

Oh, and a side note. I really do hope that the official height on this gets scaled back to the roof for simple fact that I hope it sets in example of these pricks who think they can do half ass the final stages of this project. A spire is one thing, but an ugly skinny exposed broadcasting antenna won't hack it no matter how well some self righteous dipshit says it will in ordered to reach the desired height.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:02 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Hasn't brought squat to this project whatsoever, or at least anything worth a damn...
Not entirely true - he's bringing Conde Nast Downtown, which is significant. That of course doesn't subsidize for how self centered of a move this is on his part, however he has brought something to the table.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:07 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Not entirely true - he's bringing Conde Nast Downtown, which is significant. That of course doesn't subsidize for how self centered of a move this is on his part, however he has brought something to the table.
Yeah, that was a big move, just too bad he's not seeing the big picture of this project.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:07 PM

Let me try and list the changes made to the building so far.

1. NYPD demands 20 story concrete base.
2. Restaurant is scrapped. "Won't be profitable!" They say. Even go so far as to remove the service elevator so that if they ever do want to put a restaurant in, it will be all the more difficult.
3. Conde Nast says they will need some kind of relatively large vent somewhere on the lower floors for their test kitchens. We still don't know what that will look like.
4. The prismatic base cladding shatters into a million pieces if you look at it wrong, it is decided that strapping sheet metal and glass fins to the side will solve the problem.
5. They scrap the chamfered corners that they spent who knows how long engineering and building.
6. The West Street plaza is redesigned from a nice little meeting area into another cordoned off area. Move along!
7. Spire enclosure is scrapped and we are left with a skeletal antenna that will look exactly like the one at 4 Times Square.

Did I miss anything?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:10 PM
Fake News

How is it even possible at this stage for them to do this? Aren't there contracts already in place? Aren't there promises that need to be kept? I'm no New Yorker, and I feel betrayed.

EDIT: Even a cheap ass, aesthetically challenged monkey would have to recognize the ugliness of this naked skeleton of an ANTENNA! Durst must be a real arrogant, cheap piece of shit to have the balls to deny what this is. It's a fucking effigy of the original! It's the equivalent of fusili Jerry!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:18 PM
dream fast

This tower is stunning, it remains a rock star. Spire or antenna, I feel the pain. I happen to prefer the revised industrial, functional design.

"That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law." Louis Sullivan

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:20 PM

They say 1WTC is going to be a sign of American resiliency and the ability for America to move on;I say it's quite the opposite.All this security measures and redesigns is more like an imprinting of what happened that horrible day,and a sign of the economic state the country is in.

For a while(since the plans were announced),I thought of the WTC site as a decent successor to its old counterpart,but now things are just dwindling all over the site to a point where caring for the buildings is minuscule.The only thing done right at the WTC site has been the memorial.

Sometimes I question what's in store for the future of NYC or even America,as I'm sure countries elsewhere already have the upper hand in some aspects.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
They say 1WTC is going to be a sign of American resiliency and the ability for America to move on;I say it's quite the opposite.All this security measures and redesigns is more like an imprinting of what happened that horrible day,and a sign of the economic state the country is in.

For a while(since the plans were announced),I thought of the WTC site as a decent successor to its old counterpart,but now things are just dwindling all over the site to a point where caring for the buildings is minuscule.The only thing done right at the WTC site has been the memorial.

Sometimes I question what's in store for the future of NYC or even America,as I'm sure countries elsewhere already have the upper hand in some aspects.
I agree. The castration of the original spire is a perfect metaphor for a country that has been devastated by the unchecked greed of Wall Street.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:31 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Restaurant is scrapped.
Personally, I find this to be the greatest travesty of them all.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I agree. The castration of the original spire is a perfect metaphor for a country that has been devastated by the unchecked greed of Wall Street.
Actually the whole building, regardless of what sort of toothpick they stick on top of it, is an exemplar of the unchecked greed of Wall Street that drove the country to ruin in 2008. Soulless and charmless, without a leavening speck of creativity or humanity, it will be speak, sadly, to our era, even as the Empire State building, the Chrysler Building and the Woolworth building spoke (boisterously and joyously and optimistically) to their eras, eras when America's best days lay ahead and not in the rear-view mirror.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:53 PM

Can some philanthropist PLEEASE just donate $100 Million to restore the old design!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:02 PM

I continue to nurse the premonition that this whole clusterjerk hasn't been addressed by every official who has any emotional stake in this.
We haven't heard from Mr. Bloomberg, who has at least been honest enough to call out the PA for their bullshit. And he's been on record and quite adamant in his desire to see this complex define New York for years to come.
I normally don't make this kind of appeal; but I strongly suggest we bring as much pressure to bear on the Mayor's office to at least question Durst and the PA on their TBH pig-headed refusal to at least compromise.
And if it turns out that nothing can be done, then don't let it be said that we didn't try.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:13 PM

My opinion of the original spire was that it was a lame attempt at symbolism (1776 ft. gag) and was ugly anyhow. While this new antenna isn't beautiful - it's honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Actually the whole building, regardless of what sort of toothpick they stick on top of it, is an exemplar of the unchecked greed of Wall Street that drove the country to ruin in 2008. Soulless and charmless, without a leavening speck of creativity or humanity, it will be speak, sadly, to our era, even as the Empire State building, the Chrysler Building and the Woolworth building spoke (boisterously and joyously and optimistically) to their eras, eras when America's best days lay ahead and not in the rear-view mirror.
I thought we were done with this backwards-type thinking. Thankfully a lot of people had different opinions to yours and we will have a sleek, tall tower.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:19 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYonward View Post
I thought we were done with this backwards-type thinking. Thankfully a lot of people had different opinions to yours and we will have a sleek, tall tower.
That is very well said... Despite it all, the tower itself will be great and an achievement to have watched risen!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:22 PM

This new antenna is honestly ugly. Let's be really honest here. This is one fugly tower and everyone knows it. But what do you expect from the guy who went along with the take down of the original?

Quote:

Sorry to break it to fella but his thinking isn't the one that's backwards.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:30 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ The tower itself sure isn't ugly, far away from it. This new spire is, if it were up to me they should remove it.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:36 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ Good. Now the building will officially be 1373 feet tall, falling behind Willis Tower and Trump Hotel Tower. Pathetic.
Ironically had 9/11 not occurred, the original WTC would have been behind both the Willis Tower and the Trump International Hotel and Tower.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYonward View Post
My opinion of the original spire was that it was a lame attempt at symbolism (1776 ft. gag) and was ugly anyhow. While this new antenna isn't beautiful - it's honest.

I'm tired of people resorting to insulting people's opinions. It's not backwards thinking it's a difference of opinion. There are plenty of people (probably a majority on this board, and in the public) who were very disappointed with this design. If it were a typical skyscraper it wouldn't be a big deal. (although a bland 1,373 foot tower is not a giant achievement in the current age of skyscraper building). This is not a typical skyscraper. You can choose to ignore the symbolism of this building but a lot of people don't. Your opinion isn't any better than theirs.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:43 PM

I never got why the original goal was only to build as tall as the original twins, 1368...seems a bit odd, why wouldn't they shoot for the stars as it were, and build the tallest in the country by roof height? I don't get it. it's not 1972 people! Anyway, I REALLY hope the latest antenna rendering is not what will actually be built because it's ugly as HELL! I want to like 1wtc, but the whole thing just isn't right. Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if they follow through with this awful antenna design, they should at least raise the roof height some..I mean, come on. It could be done. Maybe raise the roof height to 1500 or 1600 feet at least...They they can do their stinking antenna design if they want. God I hope SOM can pull a rabit out of the hat at the last minute!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:45 PM
DENNAB

There is no hope for anything good to come at this point, I mean I shouldn't say never but it's 97% certain this will end up looking like utter garbage in the end.

SO FREAKING SAD

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive