HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 9:31 PM

^^The cladding won't reflect those corners, they'll extend straight down from the culmination point at the top of the base

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 9:31 PM

The chamfered corners will still be present under the new cladding, but the cladding itself will form 90° corners.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabedamien View Post
Wait a second, I’m confused. I thought I had read that the base’s originally chamfered corners had been scrapped in favor of (less interesting) 90° corners. But here it looks like the base does have chamfered corners, no? I see so few pictures of the base, and I haven’t been downtown in so long, that I didn’t even think about this until now... what’s the story?
From what i was told, they are going to fill the chamfered corners with non structural steel.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
Mr. Technology

I am pleased to know that they are taking their careful time with the base -- as this is a very important visual element of the tower.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I am pleased to see progress -- but these petty comparisons of how many inches the steel has risen is getting rather rusty.
Forgive us, anyone connected to the engineering world knows how excited we get with numbers.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:48 AM
Mr. Technology

Years ago, I used to provide weekly photo updates, but even at a weekly schedule, you really need to have a keen eye to spot the changes.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Wait a second, I’m confused. I thought I had read that the base’s originally chamfered corners had been scrapped in favor of (less interesting) 90° corners. But here it looks like the base does have chamfered corners, no? I see so few pictures of the base, and I haven’t been downtown in so long, that I didn’t even think about this until now... what’s the story?
The base was built when the design still called for the chamfer. The base design was changed much later to a square so now the base is going to receive non structural steel which will bring it to a 90 degree angle. After that they are going to finish it up and fit the cladding completing the base.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 3:10 AM

I did a basic drawing explaining what will happen. The dimensions are not to scale and are therefore prone to error, but this is what will basically happen.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Jun 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 3:43 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
June 8th, 2012

(From the Far Rockaways, maybe about 15 miles away?)

I've always liked this view. When I see it, I imagine that 1 WTC and The Empire State Building are each the leader of a gang of skyscrapers, staring each other down.

-Greek Proverb

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 4:36 AM

Wow, so that’s just... what the heck? What’s the rationale behind that? I had made the admittedly baseless assumption that the design change was primarily a financial one, i.e., that a squared-off base was somehow easier to construct (why this would be, I did not presume to guess). But we already have a chamfered base, sooooo....... someone out there thinks that the squared off base looks better? That person needs to have a water balloon thrown at them.

I don’t mean to resurrect an old point of contention, but somehow I managed to miss the original discussion of these points. I was already hurting from the plaza changes (meh, I can deal), and the change from prismatic glass to the less interesting base cladding (again, no biggie), and the CARDINAL SIN of removing the radome enclosure for the spire (the WORST). I thought for a brief moment that at least I was getting something back, it was a miracle! But no.

Honestly though I could probably find a dozen features of this tower I would willingly downgrade if it meant we could have the spire back. Not for the height (ridiculous and immaterial circus, that), but for the sheer beauty of it. It would have looked so amazing... it was my favorite part of the entire structure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 11:22 AM
New Yorker for life

I'll be away for a couple of weeks, so I'll miss whatever ceromony they'll have...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1092857

President to get an eyeful Thursday in WTC visit
Much progress has been made since his last trip September 12

By Tina Moore
June 9, 2012

Quote:
When President Obama comes to Ground Zero on Thursday, he will see an impressive work in progress under a dozen soaring cranes on a site dotted by scores of hardhats. He will see 1 World Trade Center — the Freedom Tower — has almost topped off at 104 floors as workers erect the huge glass panes that encase the structure. Across from that, 2 World Trade is at grade level and workers are beginning the 88-story climb to completion. Three World Trade is a seven-floor concrete block intended to provide extra security to the eventual 80-story building. If the commander in chief looks up, he’ll see an American flag and a POW flag flapping in the wind atop the hulking cement structure.

Next door, 4 World Trade has climbed to 70 floors and has only two floors to travel to reach its apex. Construction crews travel between floors in elevator cages. If Obama goes inside, he’ll see that a marble backsplash has already been added to a lobby wall. Light floods the space that is topped with a 45-foot ceiling. He will be able to look down into a giant football-shaped, two-story hole in the earth that will become a transit hub where subways will connect to trains.

patrickhuss

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
Imster

What really is a shame is that the new WTC1 is not going to be taller than the Willis Tower to the roof - i would love to see the it topped out at 1500ft - it would look even more spectacular in the New York Skyline then put a 276ft mast on top - they should do this

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
What really is a shame is that the new WTC1 is not going to be taller than the Willis Tower to the roof - i would love to see the it topped out at 1500ft - it would look even more spectacular in the New York Skyline then put a 276ft mast on top - they should do this
They probably deleted the chamfered corners because they found out they could save $12.50 by not requiring special angles on the glass. Not much chance they'd spend more on height when it's not practical to have more office floors anyhow.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:58 PM
Mr. Technology

I too wish it were taller.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I too wish it were taller.
Not going to happen. It already had it's specific footprint and structure for it's current height. It can't be increased, but there will be buildings going up that would be taller than the Sears Tower in Midtown Manhattan soon.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Wow, so that’s just... what the heck? What’s the rationale behind that? I had made the admittedly baseless assumption that the design change was primarily a financial one, i.e., that a squared-off base was somehow easier to construct (why this would be, I did not presume to guess). But we already have a chamfered base, sooooo....... someone out there thinks that the squared off base looks better? That person needs to have a water balloon thrown at them.

I don’t mean to resurrect an old point of contention, but somehow I managed to miss the original discussion of these points. I was already hurting from the plaza changes (meh, I can deal), and the change from prismatic glass to the less interesting base cladding (again, no biggie), and the CARDINAL SIN of removing the radome enclosure for the spire (the WORST). I thought for a brief moment that at least I was getting something back, it was a miracle! But no.

Honestly though I could probably find a dozen features of this tower I would willingly downgrade if it meant we could have the spire back. Not for the height (ridiculous and immaterial circus, that), but for the sheer beauty of it. It would have looked so amazing... it was my favorite part of the entire structure.
To me the base is extremely similar to the former Twin Towers bases. Since the base is a square just like the base of the Twin Towers were, but if you are angry about the change you will have to complain to Durst. They were responsible for this redesign too.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNjQ...1&feature=plcp

I have more longer videos I will Post later as I have to, upload them, hope you like. This is a short part 1 followed by 2 more vids.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:56 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Video Link

I have more longer videos I will Post later as I have to, upload them, hope you like. This is a short part 1 followed by 2 more vids.
I was in bed when you were out there!
Next time, try a tripod to steady your zooms!

GREAT update, thank you, QUEENSNYMAN!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 4:16 PM

Base Change

The Change to the base wasn't something that they wanted to do. It was necessary.
The Original prismatic glass that was planned to be installed would have left the base chamfered, but the prismatic glass, when tested, failed. It was discovered that if one of these panels fell off the base in some type of explosion that the glass would break into dangerous large shards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive