HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 3:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

The ground floor is actually all parking.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The ground floor is actually all parking.
How very. . .Hamiltonian? With Dundurn as something of an up and coming street, this is immensely disappointing.

Good thing for the parking though, as residents will no doubt end up taking their cars to the Dundurn and King Tim's drive-thru. Maddening, I say.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:41 AM
It's Hammer Time

This project is actually a fresh start, council is bending the rules by not enforcing 1.5 parking space per unit. It'll be 0.8 parking space per unit. Not all units will come with a parking spot. The parking area also includes a large bike shelter and car sharing program. Plus you can see a bus shelter in the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:47 AM

Quote:
This project is actually a fresh start, council is bending the rules by not enforcing 1.5 parking space per unit. It'll be 0.8 parking space per unit. Not all units will come with a parking spot. The parking area also includes a large bike shelter and car sharing program. Plus you can see a bus shelter in the rendering.
I'll meet you halfway, Steeltown, and admit that it's not all doom and gloom. At the very least, this project boosts the density of the lower city - and with residents prepared to spend money in the city, at that.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 6:49 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

looks good. lots of glass and the cantilever corners break up the box. Dif to tell the facade material... could be stucco or cladding panels.

I wish they would house the mech penthouse in a headdress

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
How very. . .Hamiltonian? With Dundurn as something of an up and coming street, this is immensely disappointing.

Good thing for the parking though, as residents will no doubt end up taking their cars to the Dundurn and King Tim's drive-thru. Maddening, I say.
I just measured it and it is an 11 min walk or approx. 1.0 km to Locke Street Bakery. Best coffee and bagels in town.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 9:19 PM

Looks like one of the older condos around Queen's Quay in Toronto... except that development had underground parking under the condo.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Cars don’t rule in Kirkendall South
BY DAVID COHEN

You need a roof over your head.

But does your car?

We take for granted the automatic parking space that goes with our living space.

At present, a new apartment building in Hamilton must provide one parking space for each unit. (It used to be 1.25 spaces per unit, to add parking spaces for visitors. But this requirement has been dropped.)

Built-in parking spaces don’t come cheap: each costs upwards of $30,000 to build.

You may not mind the extra outlay, but it may price folks, with lower incomes, out of the market.

And providing a parking space for each tenant/condo owner (whether they want it or not) promotes car use and its problems — pollution, traffic congestion and the human and property costs from car collisions (said to be in the billions each year in Ontario).

Is there another way?

Yes. Many apartments exist in Hamilton without in-built parking spaces.

But they tend to be older buildings, some going back to the First World War. Car ownership was not widespread then.

Is it possible to go back to the future?

Yes. And a modest attempt is being made at 427 Aberdeen Avenue, at the corner of Dundurn Street.

You probably know the spot if you reside in the southwest Kirkendall neighbourhood: a Tim Horton’s outlet was there for years. Prior to Horton’s they pumped gas on the site.

Urban Core Developments acquired the site and this spring will erect a seven-storey condo on it.

The developers wanted to reduce the required number of indoor parking spots in the building.

They introduced innovations: indoor bike parking and curbside share-a-car service, both designed to reduce the reliance on cars and the need for space to park them.

The building was at first supposed to have 42 condo units for which 28 parking spaces were to be provided. The number of units were subsequently reduced to 32.

In spite of this quite modest reduction from the city’s parking requirements, alarm bells rang in the neighbourhood. Not providing a spot for each of the building’s residents would force them to park on neighbourhood streets, cause on-street parking shortages, etc.

These fears, however, were quieted by the city planning department.

Citing a study provided by the developer, it assured citizens an adequate supply of parking spots would continue to exist on the surrounding streets.

The city approved the building.

In doing so, it followed the trend in Ontario to intensification — housing more people on less land, in such a way that they can rely more on public transit, walking and bikes to get to work and shop.

Aberdeen, indeed, is a good candidate for intensification. It’s a main drag well-served by transit.

The intersection of Aberdeen and Dundurn already has a mix of uses — convenience store, dry cleaner, pharmacy and restaurant.

And it should be pointed out that apartments are no strangers to Aberdeen — it has several older examples dating back to the ’20s and ’30s as well as more modern versions (notably at 436).

Could/should apartments be built with no indoor parking? Bottom line: Developers need to market their buildings — and they need to get them approved by the city. But Hamilton needs multiple, affordable housing near transit.

Sacrificing a roof over your car may help to bring this about.

With the LRT possibly coming, we should be thinking about public transit, bikes and car-sharing, etc. as better ways of getting around.

And doing away with indoor parking has other advantages. For example, it eliminates the need for parking entrances — a space that has the potential use as a retail outlet that provides revenue for the owner and convenience for the building’s tenants. Not to mention something more interesting to look at for passersby than a blank garage door.

Hamilton has any number of avenues that cry out for mixed-use intensification (such as Main and King streets). It also has a need for reasonably priced housing.

Reducing parking spots in buildings — even eliminating them — merits consideration.

David Cohen is a freelance writer. He served on Dundas council from
1991 to 1994.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:16 AM

I think they should just let the market decide parking. If a developer wants to put up a building without parking, let them. As a car owner, I would look for a building that included a parking spot, but I'm sure there are others who don't have a vehicle that would buy. If a developer thinks they can make a go of it with a building that has no parking, let them try.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:10 PM

Couple of days ago I was on Dundurn and noticed that they've put up a large pre-sale/registration sign for this development. I think there is a website listed but I didn't catch the URL. Hopefully this means the project will be moving forward, but I haven't heard whether they have their condominium or site plan approvals from the city yet (although the Zoning was approved last year). Maybe someone can get the details from the sign. I wonder if there are any new photos or graphics on the sales website?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yea saw the sign this morning.

http://www.urbanwestcondos.com/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 1:23 PM

The Home section of the Saturday Spec on September 18th had an ad for the Urban West Condos (along with a nice rendering, which is the same photo as on the website). It said that there is a "grand opening" at noon on September 25th. Went to the website but didn't see any new information. Not sure what they mean by "grand opening". Doesn't look like the old Timmies has been renovated into a sales centre or anything and I doubt they can build a sales centre in less then a week on the property. I assume it means that starting at that time you can just start registering on the website or they'll start accepting down payments or something?

Anyway, good to see something happening and the marketing seems to be for the higher-end housing market. But like all of these projects. Until I see a crane on-site, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 AM

427 Aberdeen

thats the way it goes in hamilton, when the crane shows its a go, otherwisse its just details.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the old Tim Hortons building is the sales centre.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:03 PM

Yeah, the windows are all done up with the usual smiling faces of new condo owners and a nice big sign advertising the development. Certainly looks like they are gearing up for sales to start on Saturday. I might pop in to see what the units are going for even though I'm not interested to buy myself (already live in a house in that neighbourhood anyway).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 11:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

50% sold out within a hours

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 4:15 AM

Quote:
50% sold out within a hours
I had been watching this development for a long time and went in a few days before they opened the sales office to the public. The Dundurn unit caught my eye but they had no pricing yet at the time. Two bedrooms, two bath -- ~ 1000 square feet. So when they finally released pricing my jaw dropped.. the Dundurn was 320k+ (depending on floor) with $.39/square ft per month for maintenance.

I love Hamilton and all but.. this is Hamilton and 320k can buy you a lot more than a 2 bedroom condo whose view is of a low income rental building. Best of luck to Urban West.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 4:30 AM

Same builder and what looks like a larger unit than the 2 bedroom 2 bath I was looking at. Lower maintenance and not to mention less taxes, lower car insurance rates and a balcony with better views for 40 grand less.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9882786

Is Aberdeen that much more superior to Aldershot? Just trying to wrap my head around what the builders are thinking. Have they sold more than the 50% of the first weekend?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 12:32 PM

My thinking is that this devepoler is trying to cash in on the approximity to the 403 the golf course and MIP. Possibly why the pricing is so high. If they dont sell that the prices will come down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton